Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 08  Previews & Media Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 08 Previews & Media Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 08 Previews & Media Thread
    Posted: 06-07-2007 at 6:04pm
Full article

Where NHL 07 was about faking out the goalie, NHL 08 is about embarrassing overzealous defensemen in one-on-one situations. This time around you have the ability to separate the puck from your stick, tap it into space in any direction you like, regain possession and then take your chances with the goalie. We sat with glee watching the Canucks' Daniel Sedin undress a defender, poking the puck between his legs to open up a shot on goal.

In NHL 08, if you are skating forward and push the stick hard to the right, you'll stop and make a sharp cut to the right. It's a great way to avoid a hit, but you'll sacrifice speed in the process. If you roll the stick to the right, you'll go into a cross-over skating animation and make a wide, arching turn without losing much speed, a great way to take the puck behind your net and start the offensive attack With this new system, individual skating ability will play a much bigger factor and speedsters like Martin St. Louis will shine.

Visually, NHL 08 will keep pace with other EA Sports titles this year and hit the 60 frames-per-second mark -- the chunky animations in last year's game was a major issue. Again, the graphics and colors are vibrant -- you can see the friggin' stitching on the jerseys.

Our brief look at NHL 08 was just that -- brief. But EA is aiming high, and if it meets all of its lofty goals then we are in for one heck of a hockey season. The NHL season may have just ended, but we're ready to lace up our skates.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-07-2007 at 6:14pm
I really hope all the new sports game shine on the PS3 and Xbox 360. I like that EA is shooting for 60 fps with all of their 08 games. This should really be the year that next-gen sports games blow away their counterparts on the PS2.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-07-2007 at 6:17pm
I hope they address some fundamental tactics issues like the dump-in.  Also the puck physics need to catch up with 2k.  Those two issues are the most important ones to me.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2007 at 2:26pm

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2007 at 8:15pm
Cover

Today Electronic Arts announced Eric Staal, center for the Carolina Hurricanes, will be featured on the cover of NHL 08. A young player (23) with just four seasons under his belt, Staal led the Hurricanes to victory with 28 points in the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Stall is apparently also a big fan of EA games.

"I am a huge fan of the NHL franchise and played NHL 07 fanatically," said Staal. "I am honored to be named to the EA Sports family and the NHL 08 team."

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2007 at 8:42pm

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2007 at 3:42pm
They have a blog up at IGN

Hi,

David Littman here. I’m the producer of NHL 08, and am specifically responsible for gameplay.

From now until we ship, the NHL 08 producers will be keeping you updated on the progress of NHL 08. I would like to start by thanking everyone who played NHL 07. After reading your forum feedback, reviews, and sales numbers from around the world, there is no doubt that NHL 07 was a huge success. That said, we know what you want improved for NHL 08, and we are aiming to deliver exactly that…plus much more. The Skill Stick was only the beginning. When we look on YouTube and see thousands of moves and goals that you created, we knew that we wanted that to permeate into each and every area of the game. We don’t want to give you canned moves or only one way to score goals. As you will start to see over the next few months, stickhandling, shooting, and skating are not the only areas we are doing this.

For this first post, I will talk mainly about the improvements that we are making to specifically to gameplay. We will delve into new features etc in future posts from the producers that oversee each particular area for all areas of the game.

the rest at the link above....

Found this at GAF (link to 2khockey forum with images of NHL 08)

http://www.theahl.com/news/league/index.html?article_id=7813

Confirmation from AHL.

Character models seem pretty darn accurate. Not that you spend alot of time looking at the faces of a hockey player in-game.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2007 at 3:48pm
I have purchased NHL 2k the past few years and right now I am leaning toward going with NHL 08 for a change of pace.  07 got alot of praise and I like what I am seeing with 08. One hockey game is all I need so the ball is in your court 2ksports, better have something that wows me.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-09-2007 at 4:55pm

slippy627 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote slippy627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-13-2007 at 7:45pm
i think im getting nhl 08 to play with the european leagues.......i think the german, swiss, swedish, czech, and finnish leagues will be in the game.
My current 360 playlist: Gears of War..GRAW2..Guitar Hero 2..Dead Rising
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>