Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: 360 Demos that show up well after the release date
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked360 Demos that show up well after the release date

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 360 Demos that show up well after the release date
    Posted: 07-16-2007 at 11:49pm
The Biggs belated demo and lack of APF2K8 demo got me thinking. Are demos that difficult to make or does 2Ksports have something to hide? Trying to ensure that all the desperate 2k5 fans purchase the game at $59.99? Afraid that if they released the demo before the release, they risk losing some percentage of fans, who after playing the demo feel that $59.99 might be a tad to much.

Hate EA all I want (I made a funny - not a typo), but at least they put their turds (and non-turds) out there for people to try.

Now off to get my NCAA08.  LOL

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 2:10am
Historically what have those two companies done?  I really don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing a 2k demo before release.  I can say with 95% certainty that they never put out a hockey demo before release and that had to be the first title that really surpassed EA's efforts in reviewer opinion if not $ sales.

As far as APF goes I would think that if the average Joe like me got his hands on it and didn't see it being light years ahead of Madden that he would play a demo and think that he'd rather have the real teams and that the pros and cons of each title are a wash.

Sometimes I wonder if EA actually loses sales by putting demos out there.  Their demos are usually so easy and so unfinished it has to scare off some people on the fence.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 10:30am
It is a "next gen" 360 thing. Most every game has come out in the form of a demo before the game has released, some after the game was released.  NHL 07 and 2K7 were released in demo form before either title was shipped (NHL 07 was just a shootout to let people play with the R-Stick for shooting). Fortunately you only put 95% sure. Wink

For example we are playing the Ace Combat 6 demo, the game will not be released until late October.

Here you will find the complete list (note the intention of XBL Demos on that same page)

Game Demos in Xbox LIVE Marketplace

One of the greatest features of Xbox LIVEŽ Marketplace is the ability to download free single- and multiplayer demos for new and upcoming Xbox 360 games. Hit Marketplace and grab one of these demos to give the game a trial run before you part with your hard-earned cash.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Brent

Fortunately you only put 95% sure. Wink

Ha!  I went back and edited that in because the last 2k hockey game I purchased was 2k5 and I thought things may have changed since then Smile.

Personally speaking I think I have been pushed away more than pulled into purchases by demos.  I can't think of one console game that I wanted to purchase after playing a demo.  Maybe once a company gets big enough that they are a true brand that they should discontinue issuing demos.  They are really good though for those unknown companies trying to get a product some exposure without a hefty advertising campaign.  That's my own experience though and I'm not surprised if the majority loves and wants their demos.

The last demos that really sucked me in and I ended up purchasing the games were 1701 AD and Making History: The Calm and the Storm, both for PC.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 12:06pm
Ted, I feel the same. I've had more demos scare me away from the finished product than vice versa. The only demo that actually made me buy the game was an MX game on the PS1.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 12:37pm
The great thing about demos is that I can play a bunch of non-sports games I would never have touched. By the time I have finished a demo I am bored with the game already (notice I am through with Oblivion, sadly there was no demo for that).

These demos are going to save me a ton of money.  In the past I would have purchased The Biggs.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 1:01pm

Done with Oblivion already?

Brent, since these games don't hold your interest do you ever think about playing your characters as being mortal?  So if you die it's a self-imposed permadeath?

That may make the game a little more interesting and tense anyway.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 1:04pm
Crackdown was one where the demo really sold me.  On the other hand there have been games where I didn't like the demo but went ahead and got the game anyway, only to become enamored.  NCAA '07 for example.  Don't like the demo for this year's NCAA either.  But I think I'll skip it for APF anyway... just want something different after all that EA pigskin I played last year.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-17-2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Done with Oblivion already?

Brent, since these games don't hold your interest do you ever think about playing your characters as being mortal?  So if you die it's a self-imposed permadeath?

That may make the game a little more interesting and tense anyway.

I have tried similar things but for some reason non-sports games no longer hold my attention. Same thing for me with most racing games, although I have yet to tire of Dirt.

Post Reply Post Reply