Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NCAA 06 Tactics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNCAA 06 Tactics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NCAA 06 Tactics
    Posted: 01-25-2006 at 8:16pm
For those who have problems with the passing game and drops.

* While the skeleton "drill" is helpfull I recommend going to the Practice mode and selecting the option to run the skeleton. This lets you pick the defense and gives you an opporitunity to test plays against zones, man to man.

* Find the seams in the zone and do not drill every pass. Touch plays a big part in being successful in the passing game.

* Learn to control the receiver. You will complete more passes when you make user catches.

* If you have a fast QB roll out of the pocket. One advantage to a fast QB is the ability to get outside the pocket making defenders concentrate on two things. In many cases a receiver running a short route will stop his route, sit for a second and then take off allowing you to throw a lob over the coverage for a good gain.

More tips coming.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2006 at 3:08pm
Hope it's ok to post in your thread, Brent.

Here are some things I do and/or think about when running the ball.

I have found that pressing the sprint button immediately after handoff usually results in less yardage gained than if I'm patient with the sprint.  If you use the sprint too early you take away two things.  First your ability to move laterally is greatly reduced when sprinting.  Second, you don't allow the play to fully develop in front of you.  Sometimes it only takes an extra split second to allow that lineman to open up a hole for you to dart through on runs between the tackles.  On outside runs, sprinting too far ahead of your blockers usually leaves you open to lost yardage tackles.  Once again, be patient and "guide" those blockers into rushing linebackers.  Once they are engaged then you can usually make your move with only a single defender to try and stop you.  Once you are into the secondary then get on that sprint button.

Use the right analog stick alot.  Power through some hits by lowering your shoulder (up) when facing smaller cornerbacks and safeties with a strong back.  I also put a shoulder down if I'm being tackled by two linebackers.   Just plain juke around (left or right) lower agility players like linebackers, especially if  one on one or in the open field.

I've only recently come to realize how useful the spin button (circle on PS2) is, especially when running plays to the outside.  Many times you can catch an over-pursuing linebacker off guard by spinning back to the inside.  The move really takes some speed off and you will probably only clear that one defender, but it's usually enough to turn an extra yard or two and sometimes that is all that is needed for a crucial first down.

I keep my running game pretty simple.  I analyze my opponents line and look for his weakest lineman or a weak linebacker if he doesn't have a weak lineman.  (A perfect example of this is Jason's Indiana team had a weak right DT.  I use to love running the slam play over that DT.)  Then I'll run a ton of plays (but not all) at that player and force my opponent to either blitz that hole or add another lineman.  If he does either one I'm ready to adjust my running plan.

Feedback welcome.

I knew I forgot something.  Definitely use the stiff arm in one on one situations.  I get some nice payoffs with it when I'm on the sideline versus a defensive back.  If you are being tackled from both sides though it can be dangerous as the ball is exposed for easier fumbles from the ball side tackler.

Post Reply Post Reply