Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Two very good Rugby 06 Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTwo very good Rugby 06 Videos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two very good Rugby 06 Videos
    Posted: 02-12-2006 at 4:38pm
The first two at Gametrailers.com (GT TV)

I am starting to change my mind about this game after seeing parts of the IGN review and these videos. About time they added offload passing. They even have the impact players now (ala NCAA 06).

I do not watch alot of rugby but enjoyed the previous games. Temptation to go purchase is rising. Going to rent it first as I have some store credit at the rental store.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-12-2006 at 5:12pm
I really wish this was online.  I don't know how much I'd play offline, but these physical games are always great head to head.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-15-2006 at 1:33pm
Wow I am just too weak. Picked it up at EB today. Will throw out impressions once I remember how to play Rugby.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-15-2006 at 8:36pm
sweet.  Looking for those impressions.  
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-16-2006 at 12:12pm
Keep the following in mind... I do not watch much Rugby so I am not going to cover the actual gameplay in depth.

That aside.... This is a terrific buy at $29.99. I have played all the EA Rugby games and this one is far and away the best. The graphics are so much better in this version and the only real knock are the backgrounds outside the stadium. The addition of the R-Analog movement feels very simialar to NCAA 06 and like NCAA might be a little too effective, especially with the impact players. Best I can tell not every team has them, although half of New Zelands teams does. New Zeland is ranked a 95 where the US is a 47. So like in real life there is a large gap between the good teams and the bad ones. Modest set of features. I do recall seeing a create a player option but do not think you can create a team. Plenty of fields to choose from. I have played in the cold and rain so far, although that is something randomly generated. Players so seem to get progressively muddy over the game (during the cut scenes). There was one field that had alot of dirt and when you had a scrum a large cloud of dust popped up. They added alot of nice little touches in this game.

The training material is vast and you can pick up on how the game is played very quickly (although there is a major ommision in the camera). Even during the game it instructs the player on what he nees to do in the scrum, setting up a play and brings up a button that shows when you can offload a pass (passing during a tackle). Within 30 minutes I had most of the rugby rules relearned. might take a little longer for someone who has never played or seen Rugby but the great part about the game is they will learn and not get overly frustrated.

My only real gripe is that the game is best played from a behind the player camera, due to punting and drop kicks and the need for accuracy. In the play now and tournament settings there are 5 cameras available, covering side, broadcast  and classic cameras. The problem is the training and practice mode only offer the side camera.

The game is really easy on the default CLUB level but you have two more difficulty levels available.  I just scratched the surface on all the tournaments but they allow you to pick from previous and future year settings to play (at least they did on the internation tourney).

So far so good, this one is defaintely a keeper. I am going to start playing some tournaments

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-18-2006 at 7:14pm
Guys at $29.99 you should put this on the to be considered list. It is getting good reviews from all places. It is keeping me from focusing solely on WE9. At least I can score in this one.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-18-2006 at 7:17pm
I've been hearing good things about this one too. I just don't have the time to learn and play any more new games at this point in time. I am keeping my eye on Rugby 06 though.
 Post Reply Post Reply