Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: What hockey games are you getting?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat hockey games are you getting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What hockey games are you getting?
    Posted: 09-07-2007 at 5:49pm
I have finally decided to stick to one for now and that will be NHL08.  I might get 2K8 after a price drop, hockey games tend to drop in price quicker than most sports games.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-07-2007 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Brent

I have finally decided to stick to one for now and that will be NHL08. 

Will that be after you buy and sell NHL 2K8 a few times? Wink
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-07-2007 at 6:34pm
Nope I am sticking with this decision.  NHL08 for me. 

Although I do need to put my $5 preorder for 2K8 on another game.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2007 at 11:20am
nhl08 for me. Will rent 2k to see if they have changed anything.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Ted_L

nhl08 for me.

PC or PS2?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2007 at 11:07pm
Purchase on the PC.  For sure rental on the PS2 and possibly a purchase there for kicking your butt this winter.

Still loving NHL07 on the PC.  10 bucks and some really great hockey games.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2007 at 11:11pm
I should rephrase.  Purchase on the PC when price goes to $20.  I'll have the PS2 version before then.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-10-2007 at 10:14pm
Reviews trickling in

IGN review of NHL 08 (360 version):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819016p1.html

8.0 Presentation
While it doesn't feel quite like a TV broadcast, there are plenty of nice touches. The Stanley Cup celebration is excellent and the inclusion of real AHL players is a plus.
8.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds make for a game that's pleasing to the eye.
8.5 Sound
The play-by-play hasn't changed all that much since last year, but it now has a direct correlation to gameplay. The crowd is intelligent and the sounds on the ice are good.
9.0 Gameplay
The opponent AI is outstanding. This looks and plays like a real NHL game. It's not perfect, but it's the best AI EA has ever had in a hockey game.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The Dynasty Mode is stronger than ever with better trade logic and pickier free agents. The addition of online leagues and support for 6-player online games is huge.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN review of NHL 08 (PS3 version):

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/819/819015p1.html

Now for the bad news PS3 owners. EA once again does you a huge disservice. With its first NHL title on PS3, EA has really dropped the ball visually. While the gameplay and feature set is identical to 360, the framerate is not. And while EA would like to say the PS3 version runs at 30 frames per second, that's questionable. PlayStation editor Greg Miller put it best upon first seeing NHL 08 running on PS3: "It looks like they're playing hockey under a strobe light." You can still play and enjoy NHL 08 on PS3, but don't you deserve a perfect framerate? Shouldn't you demand a better-looking game? Write your Congressman and get EA to pay the PS3 a bit more respect. Nearly a year into its life, the PS3 should have sports games that run smoothly.

8.0 Presentation
While it doesn't feel quite like a TV broadcast, there are plenty of nice touches. The Stanley Cup celebration is excellent and the inclusion of real AHL players is a plus.
7.5 Graphics
A good animation system, attractive ice, and great crowds would have made for an appealing game, but the framerate becomes a real distraction.
8.5 Sound
The play-by-play hasn't changed all that much since last year, but it now has a direct correlation to gameplay. The crowd is intelligent and the sounds on the ice are good.
9.0 Gameplay
The opponent AI is outstanding. This looks and plays like a real NHL game. It's not perfect, but it's the best AI EA has ever had in a hockey game.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The Dynasty Mode is stronger than ever with better trade logic and pickier free agents. The addition of online leagues and support for 6-player online games is huge.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-11-2007 at 9:53am
I can't find any info on the PS2 version. I have no idea if any new features were added this year.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-11-2007 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Jason

I can't find any info on the PS2 version. I have no idea if any new features were added this year.

The 360 videos are really impressive though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>