Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: What hockey games are you getting?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat hockey games are you getting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What hockey games are you getting?
    Posted: 09-12-2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Ted_L

I seriously would like to get back into a once or twice a week evening game with you this fall and winter.  Hope this game is good for that.

Sounds good. I have no problem going with an older game (NHL 07 or Madden 07) if NHL 08 doesn't fit the bill.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-12-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Brent

Interesting review at 1up  (that would be a 4.0 out of 10)

Even though we've been pretty hard on 2K8, you will find some positive signs that the developers can build upon for next season. Graphically, this edition is much prettier than previous entries (the franchise finally looks like a new-gen hockey game). Also, we really enjoy the new faceoff mechanics -- and we don't mind the physicality that goes on there. Lastly, in true 2K fashion, this game comes stacked with Franchise and online options. Still, from 2K8's tricky new controls to the number of gameplay hiccups, we simply can't recommend this skater over EA's for this hockey season.

The NHL 2K8 developers have responded to 1Up's review on their blog (hosted by 1Up.com Confused):

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-12-2007 at 8:07pm
It was a reply to a podcast that was done weeks ago.

A Response From A Recent 1UP Podcast
posted at 08/31/2007 02:41 PM PDT

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-12-2007 at 9:26pm
I hope you "360-guys" can post some impressions soon. I'm really hoping that NHL 08 will finally be the game to make me go out and buy a 360 (yes, I know I said the same thing about Madden 08, but I heard too many complaints about it).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-12-2007 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Interesting.  I hope the controls are configurable.  I'd rather have the passing just straight up stick movement with the shoulder button added during shooting.

I know you can switch the shooting back to the face buttons. I'd assume the modifier for passing would not be necessary in this configuration.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-13-2007 at 1:12pm
Local shop say look for it next Tuesday.  Takes them about a week to get stuff in after release.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2007 at 10:21am
Does anyone know where I can find the default controller layout for the Xbox 360 or PS2? I've been checking Gamefly everyday and they don't have them posted yet.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2007 at 8:28pm
Man, I can't believe we have three pages of posts about NHL video games!  I wonder if they're more popular than the sport they represent?!  It sure seems so around here!

(I keed, I keed...) Smile

Video game hockey seems fun, although I know so little about the game, I probably wouldn't have much success.  Plus, I really don't have time to learn and follow another sport.

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2007 at 8:44pm
LOL I'm one of those guys that love hockey video games even though I'm not a big fan of the real sport.

After reading Ted's posts about the things the AI in hockey games should do, I sometimes wonder why he enjoys playing against me when I'm pretty sure (actually, I'm positive) that I don't do those things either. Many times, I don't even understand what he's talking about Embarrassed. Ted has taught me a lot about the sport though and his Hockey Primer is a must-read.

There's no other online game that get my blood pumping as much as hockey though. I've screamed out loud many times during my wins and losses against Ted.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-14-2007 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Jason

LOL I'm one of those guys that love hockey video games even though I'm not a big fan of the real sport.

I am in the same boat and for the most part the same goes with soccer games, although I do love international matches.

I was proud of myself as I only picked up NHL08 and will leave 2K8 for later, if at all.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>