Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
    Posted: 09-24-2007 at 3:44pm
http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=383614

MP 3 (Wii): 9 (Mark), 8.5 (Shane), 8.5 (Jeremy)-Game of the Month (Tie)
Mercury Revolution Meltdown(Wii)- 8 (Nick), 6 (A. Fitch), 7.5 (Jenn Frank)
NBA Live 08(Ps3/360): 6.5 (Bryan), 6.5 (Todd), 7.5 (Garnett)
Stranglehold(360 reviewed)- 7.5 (Joe), 8 (Matt), 7.5 (G. Ford)
NHL 2k8 (Also reviewed on 360):4 (Bryan), 5 (Demian), 6 (G. Sewart)
Fifa 08(PS3/360): 9 (Todd), 9 (John), 8 (Andrew P.)-Game of the Month (Tie)
Skate (PS3/360): 9 (Nick), 8 (Jennifer), 6.5 (Todd)
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (360): 9 (Greg Sewart), 8 (John), 7.5 (Gord)
Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck (DS): 8 (Michael), 6 (Nick), 8 (John)
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS): 8 (Milky), 9 (Jeremy), 9 (Shane)-Game of the Month (Tie)
FF Tactics: The Lion War (PSP): 8.5 (Jeremy), 8.5 (Milky), 8 (Shoe)
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP): 8 (A. Fitch), 8 (Brooks), 6.5 (Nick)
Castlevania: The dracula X Chronicles (PSP): 8 (Jeremy), 9 (Shane), 8 (Mark)
Star Wars Battlefront-Renegade Squadron(PSP)- 6 (Shoe), 7 (Skip), 6 (Michael)
Hot PXL (PSP)- 5.5 (Nick), 5.5 (Shane), 6 (Jennifer)

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-24-2007 at 5:32pm
Wow, that means it must be good Wink.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-24-2007 at 5:41pm
There's a little Q&A halfway down this link that's making the whole thing sound very appetising.  Naturally, the source is hardly likely to be too critical, but there are a couple of points (improved response time, solid goalkeeping and so on) that seem to show a clear improvement between demo and retail:

It's also worth looking there for the little player pictures.  I could have sat there all day and still not known it was Jens Lehmann.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-24-2007 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Jason

Just posting the info.  Take the scores as you see fit.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-24-2007 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Brent

Originally posted by Jason

Just posting the info.  Take the scores as you see fit.

I know. That was meant to be a cheap shot at EGM, not you. It's also the same magazine that I've quoted scores from many times.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-27-2007 at 6:23pm
Alright, the good people of GAME have delivered my pre-order the day before release, and I could kiss them, I really could.

Ever played with a lower league side?  I'm a Hartlepool United fan and so inevitably I play a few matches with them first thing.  They're not quite as prone to spannering easy chances wide as they were on the last-gen releases, they don't feel quite as sluggish to control, and after years of half-baked, half-accurate, half-arsed rosters from EA, their full squad is represented and, broadly speaking, playing where they're meant to be.

Once I was done messing around with that, I set up a semi-pro Barcelona vs Manchester United match, the one I've played so often in the demo, to see if the claims of added responsiveness are true.  They are, but it's not so much of an improvement that you could go from disliking the demo to loving the full release.

Be A Pro: Offline Training is really, really good fun.  As far as I can work out (and, of course, I haven't read the manual at all) you're stuck with controlling one of the outfield players in the default line-up of your selected team, so if you wanted to control Adebayor for Arsenal you'd find that you couldn't, since he'd start on the bench.  There are icons to show the location of your team-mates, whether it's a good idea to ask them to pass you the ball, whether you're offside or not, and where you should be on the pitch, along with which player you should be picking up if you're defending - I think you can turn these off, but it's an idea to have them on, at least to start with.

It was in this mode that I scored my first goal.  Not with Dirk Kuyt (the safest place to stand during that match was in the middle of goal - I'd never have hit you), not with Owen Hargreaves (England's midfield destroyer, and I wouldn't bet on him to score in a brothel), but with one of HUFC's finest, pinging in a 25 yard half-volley against our local rivals Darlington (oh, there's another thing - you pick your favourite team at the start of the game, and when you go to the team select screen it automatically sets up a match between your team and your main rivals, which I was more impressed by than I probably should have been).

Now, the goal itself was fine, looked fabulous as well as being convincing, and gave me enough satisfaction that I really did punch the air as it went in, but what impressed me most was what I heard afterwards.  Expecting that EA would have done a slack job on presenting the lower leagues, I was really quite startled to hear the PA announcer's, "The scorer for Hartlepool United, in the 73rd minute, number 8, Ritchie Humphreys!"  They haven't gone in half heartedly with the lower divisions, just like they haven't with the rest of FIFA 08 - this is a genuinely enjoyable football game.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-27-2007 at 10:34pm
Appreciate the impressions, only two more weeks till it shows up here. Maybe we can get a match or two online.

I have used some of the Lower Leagues, mostly English teams like Hereford.

sportdan30 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportdan30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 12:17pm
Thanks GB for the impressions.  Dang, now I'm intrigued by this title. 
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:08pm
The more I play it, the more I wonder how much I'd like it if I didn't have any interest in football.

Football, my friends, isn't always a pretty game to watch.  Trust me, I'm a Hartlepool United fan so there's nobody better placed to judge.  Playing PES, at least in 2008 demo form, it's sometimes easy to forget that there are football matches which don't include at least one flowing end-to-end move containing 20 passes, a 25 yard rocket into the top corner and a brief pause while the star midfielder picks out his parents in the crowd and gives a cheery wave.  Playing FIFA 08 is a bit different.

You can put those kinds of moves together - my goodness, you can, and it's wonderful to watch and to play when you do it - and it's not really that difficult when you're on form, but you could say the same about playing the game yourself at any level from jumpers-for-goalposts up to the big leagues.  FIFA 08 captures that well, but it's far better than its competition, in my opinion, when it comes to recreating those days when your passing is slightly astray and your shooting looks like an attempt to sabotage Telstar.

I have a fair few matches like that.  I enjoy those matches as much as I enjoy the free-flowing, thrill a minute matches, because they remind me of a proper match.  Not for everybody, this FIFA, but it's as good a simulation of the sport as I've played.

petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Th Not for everybody, this FIFA, but it's as good a simulation of the sport as I've played.

I asked this too in the PES thread, but do you think you could say which game you would choose, if you could only have one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>