Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
    Posted: 10-29-2007 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

Wow, FIFA feels like a totally different game.  I'm having a hard time controlling the ball one v one.  I switched to the "tele" camera, since I couldn't judge the depth correctly using the "end-to-end" camera.  Also, I couldn't see enough of the screen, and I was getting eaten up on corners.

I will say that it seems my back line doesn't respond well to crosses, as they tend to stand around as opposed to attacking the ball.  I'm not having much luck on the offensive end, either.  I did adjust and started jostling for the ball, which made a world of difference.  In WE, it was just cross it, time the header, score a goal.  It's not so easy in FIFA, at least yet.

Other than that, I'm loving it.  Having success is a real challenge for me.  Honestly, it feels a lot like the first time I played WE.  I've got a long way to go to get these controls down pat...

Kevin

I play with Dynamic 2 or Pro, both work well for me.

As for the response to crosses (or long passes) there is a simple key to success, once the ball is kicked (HOLD DOWN "A") and keep it held. Your guys will start flying to the ball and you will start beating the AI to the punch.  I prefer a timing based jump myself but you roll with what the developer gives you.

* this is based on the fact you are using auto switching.

To get good control of your player you really have to get used to holding down the left trigger. I find holding the L&R trigger to move quickly side by side and then a quick dash (releasing L-Trigger) works good. A tad odd that they did not add the option to have the L-Trigger/R-Thumbstick controls fixed (instead of only having them related to to the players direction).

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-29-2007 at 8:16pm
Wow, FIFA feels like a totally different game.  I'm having a hard time controlling the ball one v one.  I switched to the "tele" camera, since I couldn't judge the depth correctly using the "end-to-end" camera.  Also, I couldn't see enough of the screen, and I was getting eaten up on corners.

I will say that it seems my back line doesn't respond well to crosses, as they tend to stand around as opposed to attacking the ball.  I'm not having much luck on the offensive end, either.  I did adjust and started jostling for the ball, which made a world of difference.  In WE, it was just cross it, time the header, score a goal.  It's not so easy in FIFA, at least yet.

Other than that, I'm loving it.  Having success is a real challenge for me.  Honestly, it feels a lot like the first time I played WE.  I've got a long way to go to get these controls down pat...

Kevin
dbdynsty25 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbdynsty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-28-2007 at 3:39pm
After playing the new PES 2008 on my PC...it's clear that Fifa has caught up to the WE series of games.  Maybe it's just the speed that throws me off in PES, but it's WAY too fast.  Maybe if I just play it for a few days, I'll slow down for me, but out of the box, it seems to quick.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 8:49pm
will do and same for you if you see me online. I can play pretty much anytime.

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Brent

Just make sure when we do get a chance to play that you can have the mic on. I think of it as cheap overseas long distance.

LOL

Shoot me an invite if you see me around, mate - I live in a small house and the folks will be asleep so any time after about 11 pm my time I fall silent, but I might be available to play.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 8:37pm
Just make sure when we do get a chance to play that you can have the mic on. I think of it as cheap overseas long distance.

I might be on later tonight.

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 8:24pm
Ha, accepted.

I think my reply includes at least one use of 'mate', though criminally no mention was made of apples and pears or Dick Van Dyke's Cockney accent, nor did I remember to hum the Benny Hill chase music.  I'm also not the slowest speaker in the world, and I don't imagine you've heard that many Hartlepool accents - translation is available on request.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 8:07pm
Yea you showed to be "away" so I left you a voice message that I would be playing Fifa for a few hours.

* My apology in advance for not using the terms "y'all" or "howdy." 

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 1:40pm
Is that what your message was?  I was downloading the NFS and Guitar Hero demos but I'd actually gone to sleep - I saw this morning that I had a message from you but I didn't get to look any further than that.  If you're around any time over the weekend I'm up for a match.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-27-2007 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Originally posted by K_Mosley

We need to set up some online games with this...

Kev, if you fancy a game against my mighty Hartlepool United give me a shout any night that isn't Wednesday, with the standard qualifier that I must remain mute after around 11pm GMT.

I tried to get a game with you yesterday, but nobody wants to play with me online.  Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>