Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
    Posted: 10-02-2007 at 6:46pm
Sorry mate, I read your post about the game time patch in the PES thread and somehow missed the next paragraph.  Whoops.

If I could only have one I'd have FIFA, because it's more like football to me.  As you said in the other thread PES 2008 is only a demo at this point, and what I've read on various forums seems to indicate that the final release is a fair bit different from the version we've been playing, but there'd need to be fundamental changes before I'd pick it over FIFA.

Having said that, comparing finished FIFA to unfinished PES, they offer two different things.  PES is the picturebook football, FIFA has the more considered approach, and it comes down to which you prefer.  I know, a terrible cop-out of an answer, but Pro Evo this year is fine for what it is.  I just happen to prefer what FIFA is.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 7:55pm
Wow...  Have you ever felt that way about FIFA before, Adam?

Kevin
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 8:45pm

Nope.  Been getting closer for the last couple of years, though.

For reasons I'll not derail this thread with, I absolutely couldn't stand PES 6 on 360.  I played it on PS2 and owned it on PSP and I enjoyed it there, but the 360 version wasn't quite right.  The saving grace for Konami, really, was that while FIFA 07 was superior to the World Cup 2006 game, it still wasn't right.  Potential, unfulfilled.

This year is a bit different.  There aren't many football games I've been unable to eke some joy out of, but my preference has always been for the games that came closest to looking like a proper match.  That's always been PES, since FIFA was always about rigid banks of 4-4-2, no movement, no overlapping, no supporting runs - table football, fleshed out.  It's only now that FIFA isn't about that, now that wingers and full-backs join in with play when I'd expect them to and strikers make the runs I need when I need them, that I go back to the PES demo and ask myself why for every beautifully worked goal, there's an instance where I'm allowed to jog unopposed across the edge of the penalty area, pull a 180-degree turn that somehow lets me completely lose my man, jog back the way I came and fire into the net (a tactic which, incidentally, works with an alarming regularity yet again) or my strikers just run in a straight line next to their marker instead of finding some space for me to pass into.

You can still tell it's FIFA - the basic feel and the momentum of the players feel much as they've done for the last couple of years.  It's simply that when I look at FIFA in motion, or when I look to play a pass and find that my only hope of retaining possession is to pass backwards and start again, I see something that bears more of a resemblance to an actual match than PES does.  That's what I'm looking for, and it's what I've got this year.
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2007 at 8:15am
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Sorry mate, I read your post about the game time patch in the PES thread and somehow missed the next paragraph.  Whoops.

If I could only have one I'd have FIFA, because it's more like football to me.  As you said in the other thread PES 2008 is only a demo at this point, and what I've read on various forums seems to indicate that the final release is a fair bit different from the version we've been playing, but there'd need to be fundamental changes before I'd pick it over FIFA.

Having said that, comparing finished FIFA to unfinished PES, they offer two different things.  PES is the picturebook football, FIFA has the more considered approach, and it comes down to which you prefer.  I know, a terrible cop-out of an answer, but Pro Evo this year is fine for what it is.  I just happen to prefer what FIFA is.

Thanks.  I suppose we should be thankful that there are choices. I like "fun" and "realistic" pretty equally - a shame that there is no perfectly balanced offering.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2007 at 6:52pm
What's really nice is that, in my opinion, it is a genuine choice this year.  It's not a case of Game X does this but Game Y is better so let's all buy that, more that Game X is this, Game Y is that, they're both good, which one do you fancy?

FIFA, incidentally, continues to impress despite a niggly little issue.  Those who've played the demo might have noticed a little problem with player switching, primarily when they'd taken a corner, had it cleared by the defence and tried to switch to a man on the edge of the area only to find that the game wouldn't let them.  This issue still exists in the final release, and given that I'm absolutely rubbish at finding my own men from corner kicks, I'm seeing it fairly often.  Sometimes the defensive header only reaches the edge of the box, and it's just begging for someone to run in and strike it on the volley, but your players are all retreating and you can't take control of them and bring them to the ball.  Not gamebreaking, just irritating.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2007 at 7:45pm
I'm looking forward to this one!  Adam - can we play some online when it's released in the US?  I could use the lessons, LOL...

Kevin
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2007 at 8:13pm
I practically insist on some online matches, mate.  As far as lessons go...earlier tonight, I tried to hit an angled volley across goal from the corner of the 6 yard box, and the ball went out for a throw in.  I'm not sure I know how to teach that.
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 10:02am
I spent some more time with the FIFA 08 PS3 demo this weekend, and I might be coming around on this one. I really wish that the full version had the challenge/practice modes of PES, though. (Is that correct that FIFA lacks those?)

Now, just need to find a deal on FIFA -- I have yet to pay full price for a next-gen game!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by petes-24

Now, just need to find a deal on FIFA -- I have yet to pay full price for a next-gen game!

Do you buy your games new or used?
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 11:07am
Both.  I got Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4 and Call of Duty 3 on eBay for 50% off and got NHL 2K8 for 10% off from Gamestop. I have 10% off at Best Buy through Wednesday, but they claim not to have FIFA on PS3 until next week?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>