Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fifa 2008 EGM Game of the Month
    Posted: 10-08-2007 at 11:38am
Looking forward to getting this but it may not be until the weekend before I get it. Yet another fun trip up North.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 2:44pm
I can't recall buying competing versions of the same sport in the same year, but I might just do that this year with FIFA (now) and WE (spring). Chalk one up for EA -- they do seem to be making a good effort this year, across the board.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 3:04pm
I used the buy competing versions of the same sport all the time a few years ago. As long as each version is fun and offers something unique, it didn't bother me at all. Here's a sample of some of the competing versions I've bought in the past:

Madden 2002 / NFL 2K2
Madden 2003 / NFL 2K3
Madden 2004 / ESPN NFL 2K4
Madden 2005 / ESPN NFL 2K5
NBA Live 2003 / NBA 2K3
NBA Live 2004 / NBA 2K4
NBA Live 2005 / NBA 2K5
NHL 2004 / NHL 2K4
MVP 2004 / MLB 2K4
MVP 2005 / MLB 2K5 / MLB 2006

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-08-2007 at 5:13pm
I'm in the same boat, Jason.  There are so many different ways to represent the same sport in a game that I tend to end up with more than one of each sport every year.

Pete, FIFA's Challenge mode is an altogether different beast to the PES one - more of a scenario mode than anything.  As far as I know you're right, there isn't anything similar to the PES challenges in FIFA, though I should really check that to make sure. 
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-15-2007 at 1:35pm
I have to admit that I have a bit of a fetish for Jrod's posts. It is the only reason I tread the DSP waters, just to see how he can further the sucking of fun out of any game.  When I think he has reached the optimum level of "every-game-suckuth" he always finds a way to top it.

First of all even though I have some disdain for OS, can someone explain to me what the heck this means?

"This post is too advanced for the OS crowd so I'm just going to post this over here. "

OS, as a whole, is young Einstein compared to this twat.

dbdynsty25 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbdynsty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-15-2007 at 4:36pm
LOL...and the fact that JRod decided to say that anyone who enjoys Fifa is basically an idiot and doesn't know soccer like him.  LOL.  I hate that f*cking guy.

I would love to see one game, JUST ONE, that he likes.  The guy just gets an erection for a game with a bug.  It's rather amusing, yet annoying at the same time.  The guy really just likes to think he's the end-all of all sports games.  He's not...he's quite pathetic actually.
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-16-2007 at 9:05am
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Pete, FIFA's Challenge mode is an altogether different beast to the PES one - more of a scenario mode than anything.  As far as I know you're right, there isn't anything similar to the PES challenges in FIFA, though I should really check that to make sure. 

So I ended up going with FIFA over PES.  Despite enjoying the PES demo very much, it just seemed that there was too much stacked against it, from the sub-standard (for PES) editing options to the less-than-glowing developer interviews (which screamed, PES 2009 will be so much better).

So, I am, of course, enjoying the presentation of FIFA (love the commentary, Celtic-specific chants). The challenge mode is also helpful to keeping it fresh, but I really wish it had the practice modes of PES. I was just getting proficient at free kicks in PES, and they seem to be an afterthought in FIFA. I also wish there was an ability to edit some of the faces -- I can't expect EA to get all 10,000 right or even close, but some of them are comically bad and freaky (see Aiden McGeady, for example.)

I agree with a lot of the FIFA criticism about the balance of play (AI winning more fouls and headers) -- maybe this is something a practice mode would help?  Maybe if I knew how to properly shield the ball or "jostle" these would go away.  Adam, any tips?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-16-2007 at 12:33pm
I am starting to enjoy the "pro" camera, even in regular matches. There are a few annoying camera angles with it (especially corners for the CPU).

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-16-2007 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by petes-24

I agree with a lot of the FIFA criticism about the balance of play (AI winning more fouls and headers) -- maybe this is something a practice mode would help?  Maybe if I knew how to properly shield the ball or "jostle" these would go away.  Adam, any tips?

I'll try, but I'm half asleep so this probably won't make sense.
I've never once even tried to shield the ball, being the direct attacking dynamo that I am, and my copy is on loan to a workmate until Friday so I can't immediately help out there.  As far as fouling goes, the best way to draw a foul is to knock the ball ahead of you and try to lure the defender into committing to a sliding tackle after the ball has gone - the timing is something you'll pick up with a bit of practice if you haven't already.

The jostle button is useful when defending, if you're alongside the man you're tackling, but before you use it make sure you are alongside.  If you're lagging a little bit behind but still close enough to jostle, the instant the AI player goes down he'll win a free kick because you've basically shoved him from behind - that's correct, so I've no complaint about it, but it takes a couple of matches to get used to.  Jostling while slightly behind my man was the biggest reason I gave away free kicks to start with, so if you can get a handle on that you ought to see the foul count drop and the balance improve.

For headed passes and clearances, hold the jostle button while moving towards the ball with the left stick, allowing yourself to gain the advantage positionally a second or two before you press the button to play the ball, and you should win more than you lose.  Treat that like you would a real-life high ball - to win it, you've got to have a tussle with the man contesting the header with you.  In game, the jostle button is what allows you to do that, though you might find the end result can vary - sometimes you'll get in front of your opponent, other times you'll climb over him from behind.  In front of goal, I'm afraid I'm hopeless so I can't really help there.  I'd have thought the same practice ought to work, but my crossing isn't particularly good so I don't get a lot of chance to check.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you're in front of and facing the attacker, the jostle button will then put you into a crouched defensive stance, from which you can then steal the ball from the attacker's feet with a well-timed jab of your standing tackle button (it can help to begin moving towards the attacker just before you start the tackle).  Get the timing down and it's the safest way to win possession, though if you manage to miss the ball you'll give a free kick away every time.
petes-24 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote petes-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-17-2007 at 12:06pm
Thanks, Adam.  I'll try to implement some of that tonight.

If I weren't the only PS3 owner at SGN, I'd offer to play somebody online the next couple nights -- sometimes I feel like I'm leading the (one man) Resistance movement at xboxgamingnation! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>