Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Bode Miller Alpine Skiing -PS2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBode Miller Alpine Skiing -PS2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bode Miller Alpine Skiing -PS2
    Posted: 02-22-2006 at 9:48am

Have any of you PS2 guys tried this one?  Surprisingly, I really like what I got for $15.  It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, and it has a really good 'just one more run' grab factor to it.

No online play, unfortunately, but I could see this being a good game for 'trust-based' leagues or seasons.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 9:59am
I've never heard of that game but will check into it as I don't own any skiing games.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 10:07am

Here are the Best Buy and gamestop links.  It doesn't look like EB carries it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7698075&ty pe=product&id=1138084390212

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281506

It's $5 cheaper at Best Buy.  That is where I purchased it.  It's certainly not a big release, just one of those value priced offerings, but I didn't have any skiing games either and it got decent buzz at DSP.

I'm definitely having enough fun with it to justify the purchase.  The game has got a pretty good feel, IMO, and you're always just one bad turn away from ending your run.  (Well I am, anyway :) )

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 10:41am
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 3:25pm

I just watched a gameplay video over at Gamespy and thought the game looked pretty good.

The controls seem simple enough (from GameFly.com):

Bode Miller Alpine Skiing

GAMEPLAY CONTROLS

X Button Tuck. Accelerate.
Square Button Edge Skis. Jump.
Start Button Pause Menu
Select Button Change View
Left analog stick (L3 Button when pressed down) Steer

Web, how do the skiers handle?

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 4:01pm

Control is definitely twitchy at first, at least if you take one of the higher statted skiiers like Bode straight off of the bat.  I did, and couldn't even make it down the mountain at first.  (Much like Bode in the current olmpics  )

However, the skiier I created in career mode wasn't nearly as twitchy, because he wasn't nearly as good!  The game actually seems like it will demand quite a bit of precision at harder levels, where that responsiveness will truly be needed.

I like it.  It's quite challenging.  I'm only on the second event of my career and I'm having a blast trying to do a fast Super G run. 

The controls are simple but they are not necessarily simple to use.  You certainly can't just hold down your tuck all the time, as you'll be unable to make some of the turns...either because you can't turn as fast while tucked or because you simply picked up too much speed.  The edge button also requires a delicate touch and judicious usage as well.  Too much and you'll scrub too much speed, or overcompensate and miss gates or go into a net.

Anyway, I have yet to nail a 'perfect' run.  Each time I finish there is always at least a section or two that I know I didn't hit just right...not to mention you have to time a start bar just right at the top of the hill to get the fastest start possible. 

I'm just having a blast chasing my times on practice runs.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 4:12pm
Thanks Web. I may pick this up if I see it this weekend.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 4:16pm

Post impressions if you grab it. 

Heck, J, we may need to have a NJ gaming bash sometime...it has offline multiplayer, at least!

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-22-2006 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

Post impressions if you grab it. 

I will for sure.

Originally posted by webdanzer

Heck, J, we may need to have a NJ gaming bash sometime...it has offline multiplayer, at least!

Sounds good to me.

Post Reply Post Reply