Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Microsoft Wireless Racing on Sale @ Amazon...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMicrosoft Wireless Racing on Sale @ Amazon...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microsoft Wireless Racing on Sale @ Amazon...
    Posted: 06-22-2008 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Derek

I may be the last controller hold out, it seems! :)

You and me, fella, you and me.  Saying that, last time it was you and me in the same boat, I left the boat and bought my PS3 with a haste that would have given less secure men quite a complex.  This time, though, I'll not be jumping ship.

The last console game I played with a wheel was Gran Turismo 3, and though it was certainly more immersive and fun I wasn't any faster with it.  I do own a wheel, a Logitech G25, that I use for my PC sim racing and swear by, but that's for NR2003, rFactor, GPL...games where it's just impossible to be competitive without a wheel.  Your observation that wheels don't help your performance all that much, Web, is one I would tend to agree with; there's no scope for making a console racer that would only allow players to be truly competitive if they used a wheel, because how many of us would buy it?  That being so, I've always believed the limiting factor that governs your speed on console is more likely to be your skill level, not your peripheral.

Not that I'm wanting to piss in anyone's punch bowl, you understand.  There's no doubt that racing with a wheel is more fun and more convincing than tilting a stick left and right, and from my very brief go with the Microsoft wheel it seems a very, very good piece of kit, but at the price I couldn't justify it to myself.  If someone bought me one, though...well, that's a wholly different thing.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-22-2008 at 8:34am
Grambo, do yourself a favor and leave some of the assists on until you get used to the wheel. You'll gradually be able to remove them one at a time.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-21-2008 at 8:54pm
I may be the last controller hold out, it seems! :)

I'd consider a wheel at $40 or so, but at that price, it's just not for me.  I've always found wheels to be a pain to set up (I game in my living room), clunky to store, and as Grambo mentioned, very inconsistent performance-wise from game to game.  And this is probably just because I'm a lousy racer, but I've never found that they help my performance all that much.

They are quite fun though, given a good setup!!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-21-2008 at 8:31pm
Fine. I've been telling you for the past week how great the wheel is and Terry makes one statement about it and you're ready to buy it WinkLOL.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-21-2008 at 6:36pm
So far Nascar is the only game I have where the wheel is comfortable.  Apparently I need to tweak the settings in the other games I have, but for this one it worked perfect out of the box.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-21-2008 at 6:07pm
This quote by Terry Crouch at OS has probably sold me on getting the wheel:

That’s very similar to how the handling model in NASCAR 09 feels with all aids off. You have a tactile feel for the car, and it progresses as it should through a full fuel run. What’s even more impressive is the feedback you get through the wheel if you use one. If your car is running a balanced setup, and you’re neither pushing nor loose, you’ll have very little feedback other than the standard tension to let you know you’re rolling. As your tires wear, however, you’ll start getting more and more “chatter” from the wheel as you corner, which gives the amazing sensation of “feeling” the car’s changing abilities. In longer races, it’s unbelievably cool to start on the low line, feel the tires start to go away (instead of just seeing the times dip on a stop watch and noticing the car push), move up a groove, and have the ability to cut some of the chatter.

I'll probably pick one up on Monday.  I have some games I'm not playing to trade in against it too.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 8:01pm
I added two bungee cord thingies to my wheel to make it more secure and prevent vibration:

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-09-2008 at 9:58pm
must resist

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-09-2008 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Jason

It's only $79.99 today at Amazon (today only?):

Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel on Amazon

It's still $79.99 today Thumbs%20Up.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-08-2008 at 1:44pm
It's only $79.99 today at Amazon (today only?):

Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel on Amazon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>