Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: A Shooter for Online
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA Shooter for Online

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Shooter for Online
    Posted: 02-11-2008 at 3:47pm
We've all tossed this about over the last few months, but I'm wondering if anyone wants to lead the charge and strongly suggest a title for online shooter that 2 to 4 of us could try and get together once per week.

I have Halo 3 that I received as a gift, but am not saying that that has to be the title.  If there is something that would be more fun out there I'm all for the fun.

I know Jason and Brent have both expressed interest and I think Web likes these too.  So are there any recommendations?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 4:06pm
I'll list a few that I see on Gamefly

COD4

The Orange Box (specifically Team Fortress)  this one had trailers that I thought were hilarious.

Halo 3

Frontlines: Fuel of War

Gears of War

Rainbow 6: Vegas

Ghost Recon AW2

America's Army

Batllefield 2:  Modern Combat

COD3

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 4:15pm
COD4 seems to be extremely popular and I have no problem with Halo 3. I just want to shoot Ted and Jason, often. Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 4:29pm
I'd go with either of the following: 
  1. HALO 3
  2. COD 4
  3. Gears of War
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 6:50pm
Great, that narrows it down to 3.  Do Brent or Web have any of those 3 already?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 7:02pm
Nope, I will just pick up the one you guys decide on.  Any of them are fine with me.

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 10:54pm
Call of Duty's a bit of a meat grinder.  Halo's got vehicles.  Driving around with someone on a warthog is one of the great gaming pleasures.  Plus you can play 4-player online co-op through the main story in Halo.  AND you can save movies of online matches and replay them from any angle.  Call of Duty's got a neat ranking system with lots of carrots and unlocks to keep you playing, but I found the action somewhat limited and repetitive when it got down to it.  Halo has just a touch of emergent gameplay that leads to some really funny and neat moments.

Anyway, just my views on the two games.  I don't know if you guys would like Gears of War that much.  It's best if you can fill out the teams, 4-vs-4 with people you know, which is tough to do.  Halo you can just fire up a big team battle and get lost in the mayhem, teaming up with a friend to try and do some damage.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2008 at 11:25pm
Seth, thanks for the synopsis.  Sounds like they both have their good points.  I can see working through the story of Halo as a foursome being pretty fun.

I'm a fan of the Battlefield series on PC.  Has anyone tried that on 360?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-12-2008 at 4:28am
Well I am going to go out on a limb and vote for Halo3. I forgot about the ability to play 4 player campaign mode.  Plus Ted already has it so that makes it an easier decision.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-12-2008 at 9:13am
I guess I'll vote for HALO 3 too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>