Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K8 DEMO is out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K8 DEMO is out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K8 DEMO is out
    Posted: 03-05-2008 at 3:21pm
Content: Major League Baseball 2K8 Demo
Price: Free
Availability: Canada, Asia, United States
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone)] Download the demo.
Size: 968.95 MB

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 5:44pm
Downloading it right now.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 6:01pm
Is this the first next gen 2K baseball game you have played?  I am eagerly anticipating your comments on the demo.  Hopefully they let you use the alternate pitching and batting methods. I know you will enjoy the outfield/infield throwing as it plays off MVP.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 6:07pm

I tried the MLB 2K7 demo VERY briefly, so this would be my first real taste of next-gen baseball. Hopefully I have time to post impressions tonight.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 7:02pm
Just played a 3-inning game with the demo and came away with mixed feelings. The graphics are pretty good and I really liked the new pitching scheme and the analog fielding/throwing with the fielders, which surprised me because I didn't like the analog fielding in MVP. I didn't mind the analog batting batting either, but it's not like I really had a chance to test it out.

Unfortunately, the frame rate and stuttering is quite obvious and annoying. It's really a shame because I think this game has potential. The demo doesn't allow you to use different cameras or classic gameplay controls.

I'm assuming the default camera is not the aerial camera. I'd love to see the game from this camera view.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 8:13pm
I think the default camera is the one they added last year in a patch, it is the one I use.

From what I am reading the framerate in the demo is BETTER than in it is in the actual retail version.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 8:48pm
Aerial stuttered worse for me.  I tried all three, and I'm sticking with "pole." 

There's a lot to like in this game (so far), but that darn stuttering really bothers my eyes.  And there's no way I'm going to do 12 steps of "tricks" to fix it.  Forget that.  It needs a patch, and they know it.  Jerks.

Kevin
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 10:21pm
I love the people with all the fixes.  Okay all you have to do is take the hard drive out, turn off all voice, replays and then play it without the VIP which will not allow you to save anything, boil disc in water while you do an indian rain dance while you cook a frozen pizza.

Whatever happened to the days when they got stuff like this right, out of the box?

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 10:39pm
As I mentioned in the MLB 2K8 thread, I just played the demo while signed out of Xbox Live and it ran VERY smoothly and I'm very sensitive to stuttering/frame rate issues. The good news about this is that it may be fixable with an update.

I'm actually enjoying the demo quite a bit after three more 3-inning games. I love the new pitching system and really enjoy the fielding in the game. I'm even starting to come around on the Swing Stick. 2K did a good job on the baserunning controls too.

I hope they release a patch to resolve the VIP/frame rate issue because I think there's a good game a baseball to be played in 2K8.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2008 at 10:45pm
I have seen that but as mentioned in that other thread you are not able to save stats, get the cards or achievements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>