Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: So GTA IV come out next week
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo GTA IV come out next week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So GTA IV come out next week
    Posted: 04-26-2008 at 6:41pm
I think I am going to pass myself but some people have it early and have been posting videos.

I have to say after seeing this video, Jack Thompson and his fellow zelatous regilous friends will have gameday with this game.

NSFW

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-27-2008 at 5:17pm
I am a big fan of the earlier version of these games.  Yes, they are violent, but they should not be in the hands of children anyway.  This incarnation is supposed to be deeper than the previous versions, plus they have multiplayer for the first time, which supposedly kicks butt.  Everything Rockstar has developed has been top notch, and they have supported all their titles and listened to suggestions and criticisms along the way.

I have my copy already paid for and highly expect to be the oldest person in line at midnight tomorrow to get my copy ..... and lucky me - my daughter has one full day in daycare every week and it happens to be Tuesdays, so guess what I am doing this Tuesday (note: she is 2-1/2, and I will not play any violent games while she is awake and in the house).
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-28-2008 at 6:43pm
I knew I loved you, Grambo - I thought I was going to be the only person here doing the midnight launch thing.  I've never been to one before, but the store I ordered at opened up at midnight for pre-orders only and I wasn't doing anything else, so I'm reading through the manual as we speak.  No impressions as yet, as I've only just got home, but I expect to cut a sorry figure at work tomorrow...
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 12:51pm
Hmmm this game is sure getting a lot of 10's.  Must resist...

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 1:24pm
I picked it up at lunch.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Slumberland

I picked it up at lunch.

Did you get the PS3 or XB360 version?
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 2:15pm
360... I do not trust Gamespy's servers for online.  Plus, who's got a PS3 headset?  5% of the owners?  AND the PS3 version apparently runs in 630p and then upscales from there.  Though that's not really a big deal... Halo 3 did the same thing.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 4:12pm
I just can't pull the gun since I know EXACTLY what will happen.

Day One: Run around, do the easy missions, prostitutes, more prostitutes, drive around city.
Day Two: More prostitutes, try to get two prostitutes to have sex with each other, drive around city wrecking cars.
Day Three: Run across a mission I can't finish because I lack the patience, try one last time to get two prostitutes to have sex, fail, go back to gamespot to get screwed even worse than the prostitutes in the game.

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 4:58pm
Well I spent an afternoon with GTAIV (yippee for Tuesday daycare!).  My observations are based on single player only so far.

If you liked any of the last three titles in this series, you will drool over this one.  The graphics are richer, the car driving is more realistic, and the new goodies are fun.  No more unrealistic turns while going 100mph - you drive fast, the turns will be clunky (until you start unlocking sportier cars later in the game).  You have the option to take taxi rides to your destinations now.  There are mini games of darts, bowling and pool (I have only played the first two so far) which are pretty lame so far, but they enhance your relationships with other characters.  The most controversial of the mini-games is a simple one to initiate - invite a friend to a bar.  You don't actually go in and drink, but pull up to the bar, and after a screen shift, exit the bar and head to your car.  You now have to drive with the screen doing all sorts of motion - definitely do not do this if you have been really drinking or you'll hurl in a second!

The early part of the game (mission-wise) is slower than the other early incarnations.  The missions themselves are pretty easy, especially when compared to the ones in San Andreas.  However, after playing for a couple of hours, you start to remember why you liked the earlier versions (that is, if you did like the earlier versions) and you get sucked into the world.  The random people on the street are better done with this version and the dialogue is a riot.

I hope to play some multiplayer tonight to see how that plays out.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 6:55pm
Mine is on the way from Gamefly.  I would like to see what online does for this series.  I thought San Andreas was great, but got tired of the over-the-top cussing and ghetto stereotypes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>