Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: So GTA IV come out next week
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo GTA IV come out next week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So GTA IV come out next week
    Posted: 04-29-2008 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

ghetto stereotypes.

I have been in some ghetto areas of Dallas in my time living in Arlington. Don't know if I would call it a stereotype. Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 7:49pm
That's what I get for trying to not to be offensive LOL.

I used to drive through the infamous intersection of Florence and Normandie five days a week and spent lots of hours in the 'hoods of Inglewood, and Crenshaw between 2000 and 2005.  San Andreas wasn't too far off from what I saw every working day for over 4 years.  Granted, the violence was not realistic, but the language and carrying on in the game struck home.  As I said in the impressions I put on my blog all those years ago....I just got tired of all the "n****er this and n***er that and motherf**king."
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 7:53pm
Here are my actual impressions from 3 years ago.

I want to give an honorable mention to GTA San Andreas. I didn't finish the game, but most of the time I played it I had a good time. I just got tired of all the "nigga", "suck my dick", and "motherf**king". It's a constant barrage and can be numbing after an hour or two of this game. I really had to play it in spurts. However, the expanse of the game world, the soundtrack, the free form, and the production values (specifically the talent cast) really show me how great games are going to become in the future. If you look past the subject matter you can really see the potential that computer and console gaming holds.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-29-2008 at 8:58pm
It's a GTA thread, not being offensive = boring game. Embarrassed

Speaking of which, I caved, will give some impressions tomorrow.

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 7:10am
The swearing is just as bad, if not worse than San Andreas ..... I haven't heard the "N" word yet though, which makes sense since the Russian mob is the focal point.

OK, I played multiplayer last night with a bunch of people over at the AGE site.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!  We played the usual deathmatch type games (which was alright), but played mostly the mode called "Cops and Crooks".  You can have up to four people in one car at a time - one drives while the other three hang out the window with submachine guns.  Of course, you can leave the car anytime you want as well.

The game mode which brought the greatest laughs though was GTA Racing.  You can start by restricting the type of vehicles you want to race, but once your ride is destroyed, you have to run around and jack another car or cycle.  On one match we restricted the class to emergency vehicles and had 16 ambulances and paddy wagons racing through the streets.  In no time there were collisions and before you knew it, everything was blowing up.  The people up front had it made as the only vehicles we could find for awhile were those damned mopeds.  Of course there was plenty of shooting and running over each other as well.

In all there are 14 modes of multiplayer, and even with 16 in a room, the game ran as smooth as glass.  Kudos to Rockstar for a winning title.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 9:17am
Can you play through the game normally and complete the quests in multiplayer?
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 9:37am
Nope.  Multiplayer's got some amazing potential though.  Here were my scribblings from another forum:

It's sort of a theme-park, minaturized New York, but the landmarks are so well done and well-positioned in relation to eachother that a new yorker can really get around. Coney Island... hey, there's the little street where they have the Siren Festival, with the Cyclone on the left and Astroland on the right. Hop on the BQE, head north, there's the Citibank building, even the P.S.1 gallery in Long Island City, then northeast to Flushing Meadows park, where the old New York Pavilion is so accurate it's actually a little scary... like they took photos of the chipping paint, red-and-white stripes and slapped them on there. There's a lot to love. I wish it were all a bit bigger, less condensed, but what the heck.

If I never go in-game bowling again, it will be too soon. That whole first date made me feel like a loser. It's not what I care to simulate. I thought I was buying a murder simulator!

(actually, I've felt really bad about the two pedestrians I've run over so far)

I also think the reviewer who bandied about the term "Oscar-worthy" should have their movie-watching license revoked. The dialogue is similar to how it's always been... good for a video game, often a little embarassing. For Sam Hauser to compare the game favorably to Eastern Promises betrays some serious delusion.

Having that first in-story chase lead to a nice reveal of the nighttime Manhattan skyline was a real treat.

I apologize for hand-wringing over review and producer comments. It's a great playground, looking forward to more time with it.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 2:59pm
My only beef so far is with a few of the artistic decisions. I think they went a wee bit too heavy on the Field of Depth blur and the grainy shadows bug the heck out of me.  Especially in the area when you first step out of the house.

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 3:20pm
I had to up the brightness and contrast two clicks.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-30-2008 at 3:22pm
Yes, it was a tad dark on the defaults.

You had to know this was going to happen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>