Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 09 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 09 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 09 Impressions
    Posted: 06-11-2008 at 1:14pm
Post 'em here!!!

I just got back from Circuit City with my copy and will hopefully post some impressions tonight.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 2:37pm
For a second there I thought you might have been playing hookey in order to play this today .....

Crap, I have to wait until Monday it looks like (wife's next paycheck).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

For a second there I thought you might have been playing hookey in order to play this today .....

I wish - 5pm can't come soon enough.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 4:10pm
I'd like to hear what you think.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 7:42pm
VERY First Impressions:

The first thing I noticed is that the force feedback with the wheel is MUCH stronger than in the demo (that's a good thing). Also, the wheel didn't automatically center itself when coming out of turns in the demo but it does in the retail version Thumbs%20Up. There's no way I could ever play this game with a controller again.

The graphics look the same as the demo although this doesn't surprise me as the demo was very good looking and the AI drivers seem to be much smarter/tougher in the retail version.

All the drivers are available in the "Race Now" mode (unlike last year) and the sun actually sets at Daytona during the Coca Cola 400.

More to come...
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 8:14pm
Does the AI seem to be "aware" of you and not try to run through you.  I noticed this was good in the demo, but thought maybe on higher difficulties that they may be more aggressive.

How many laps are the races you are running?  Do you have to pit in the short races?  Can you go online and try a random room and see how the lag is?

Are you going to cry when you lose in this league?Wink
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-11-2008 at 8:51pm
I'm playing on the "Normal" difficulty and the AI seemed aware of my presence and was not overly aggressive. They did a good job of blocking me but didn't ram into me like in 07.

I just ran short races tonight, but you can set the 'Wear Factor' to 1x, 2x, 3x or 4x so that pitting is necessary even on short races. I had the 'Wear Factor' set to 4x and had to pit at least once per race.

I'm using the 'Pro' handling with some of the driving aids on and have been using the 'Chase' and 'Far Chase' cameras (don't see much of a difference between the two this year).

I haven't tried the online racing and don't know if I could deal with randoms tonight. Hopefully someone I know will have the game soon.

So far, this is the NASCAR game I've always wanted: great graphics, great gameplay and highly customizable.

Originally posted by Ted_L

Are you going to cry when you lose in this league?Wink

Dream on controller-boy. I'll be racing circles around you with my wheel LOL.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 11:31am
Damn you Jason!!!  Now I am spending the better part of my afternoon looking for old games to trade in!
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

Damn you Jason!!!  Now I am spending the better part of my afternoon looking for old games to trade in!

LOL

I made some modifications to my wheel setup that I'll post tonight too.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 1:06pm
OK, I traded some titles in and got Nascar for free (plus an additional 17 bucks to spend!).  I'll be online tonight for sure (unless the wife says otherwise).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>