Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NASCAR 09 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNASCAR 09 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NASCAR 09 Impressions
    Posted: 06-12-2008 at 1:23pm
Nice!!! I'll be online for sure.

Now you just need to get the wheel for Father's Day Wink.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 3:43pm
A couple of things I have noticed:

- it looks like online is Pro mode only, but you can adjust damage, etc., so that shouldn't be an issue.
- it also looks like the maximum amount of cars online is 13 or 14, and that is a mixture of human and AI, so no 30 or 40 car fields.  I should have guessed that because there is probably no way that bandwidth would allow for such a massive field.  Still, its too bad.

Also, will the EU version of the game be compatible online with the US version?  I noticed that the EU version is listed as NASCAR 09 EU on the games played menu.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

- it also looks like the maximum amount of cars online is 13 or 14, and that is a mixture of human and AI, so no 30 or 40 car fields.  I should have guessed that because there is probably no way that bandwidth would allow for such a massive field.  Still, its too bad.

I found this out last night and was a little disappointed too. I still think there's a lot of fun to be had with 14 cars though.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 7:16pm

Also, will the EU version of the game be compatible online with the US version?  I noticed that the EU version is listed as NASCAR 09 EU on the games played menu.

It won't be compatible, no.  It was the first thing I looked for, since it's the issue that stopped me racing with Ted last year - they're recognised as two different games so it's not possible to accept an invite to play.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Does the AI seem to be "aware" of you and not try to run through you.  I noticed this was good in the demo, but thought maybe on higher difficulties that they may be more aggressive.

I almost feel like they're a bit too aware sometimes.  If I go up or down the track at Daytona looking for cars to draft with, sometimes a car catching me from behind will lift when it could have got away with staying on the throttle for a couple of seconds without hitting me.  When I'm passing, though, they give me enough space to make the move but not so much that they're jumping out of my way, and the passes they make on me are generally well-judged.

I haven't really found anything I dislike so far.  The handling with all assists off in Pro requires full attention without being impossible, which is exactly what I wanted.  The graphics are great, the engine sounds are nice and full, the career mode seems like an improvement on last year, Rusty Wallace's track guides are a nice touch...I wish I could race it online with people outside Europe, but otherwise I'm loving it.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Jason

I made some modifications to my wheel setup that I'll post tonight too.

Here are the pics:

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 11:29pm
Did your wife laugh?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-12-2008 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

It won't be compatible, no.  It was the first thing I looked for, since it's the issue that stopped me racing with Ted last year - they're recognised as two different games so it's not possible to accept an invite to play.

Real sorry to hear that.  I was hoping to get some more time in with you.  Can you import a US version and play with us then?  Is that possible or is it that your machine won't play a US version.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2008 at 12:16am
I was sorry to hear it as well.  Was really looking forward to racing with the whole crew here.   Hell, they are the same freaking game ...... how could EA be so short sighted?

OK, some observations after a night long infatuation with this game:

- MUCH better than last year's version.  Also, I was pleasantly surprised that I got about 12 bucks trade in today for the 08 version.  Hell, I have already played more 09 in one evening than I played 08 in almost a full year of owning it!
- Even with a shortened race, check out the shadows changing during the day races.  As you get toward the later laps, the shadows on some turns are more pronounced and actually pose a challenge!
- The challenge mode is better than last year (more in-depth), but still tough.  I find it difficult to keep up with the lead car in drafting mode.
- After 12 career races, it gets a little tough just going around in circles, but the career mode is so deep, it keeps sucking me back in.
- Track ownership is fantastic!  It only compares you with people on your friend's list.  Sorry Jason, but I stole ownership of Lowe's away from you and got a 10 point achievement for my efforts.
- The short tracks can be nasty!
- Black flags piss me off!

Too tired to think of more at the moment.  Thankfully I am in an online poker tourney tomorrow night, so I can rest up for the weekend.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-13-2008 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Ted_L

Did your wife laugh?

Let's see if you're laughing when I drive you into a wall at Daytona at 180 mph WinkLOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>