Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: New NASCAR content
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew NASCAR content

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New NASCAR content
    Posted: 07-23-2008 at 7:51am
Four new pieces of NASCAR content on the marketplace this morning:

Three sets of skins based on "alternative" paint jobs from the 2008 season, each priced in at 200 MS points.

One new track - Montreal - Gilles Villeneuve - a road course - 320 MS points.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 9:38am
Cool.  I'm going to get the track.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 10:30am
Neat that they're supporting all the series in the game - Sprint Cup doesn't run Montreal, Nationwide Series does.  I'll have to check later and see if they've put this on the UK Marketplace too.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 4:41pm
Thanks. I'll have to check those out tonight. I hope they have the Jeff Gordon Pepsi paint scheme.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Thanks. I'll have to check those out tonight. I hope they have the Jeff Gordon Pepsi paint scheme.

Jeff Gordon's Pepsi paint scheme is in Pack #2 and Denny Hamlin's Fed Ex Ground paint scheme is in Pack #3 Thumbs%20Up. I might have to give in and buy some Microsoft points.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 5:27pm

Jeff Gordon's Pepsi paint scheme is in Pack #2 and Denny Hamlin's Fed Ex Ground paint scheme is in Pack #3 Thumbs%20Up. I might have to give in and buy some Microsoft points.

Well, I decided to buy 500 points for $6.25 and downloaded Packs 2 & 3. Needless to say, I'll have my Jeff Gordon Pepsi car on the track tonight.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 6:21pm
You got 3 packs?  We only got 2.  I know there's a Fedex Kinko's paintscheme for Hamlin in one of them, but I don't think we got the Ground one.  Out of curiosity, is Montoya's Texaco Havoline paintscheme in that 3rd pack?  It isn't in the ones I can download, and it seems an odd one to leave out.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

You got 3 packs?  We only got 2.  I know there's a Fedex Kinko's paintscheme for Hamlin in one of them, but I don't think we got the Ground one.  Out of curiosity, is Montoya's Texaco Havoline paintscheme in that 3rd pack?  It isn't in the ones I can download, and it seems an odd one to leave out.

Yeah, we got 3 packs. I'll check for Montoya's Texaco paint scheme tonight, but I don't think it's there. I also like the Texaco paint scheme and hope that I just overlooked it.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-23-2008 at 6:31pm

While I'm here, the track...

It's a pretty good stab at replicating the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.  Everything's in the right place, it's fun to drive and, since it lacks the elevation change of Infineon or the wicked camber of the Glen, it's the easiest road course to drive in the game, making it ideal for anyone wanting to get their road course confidence up.  However, there's been a bit of an issue with the short races I've ran.

I'm assuming our two versions of the game have shipped with the same AI.  I'm therefore also assuming that your road courses have the same AI caution hotspots that mine have (the Inner Loop at Watkins Glen and the left-right of turns 3 and 4 at Infineon).  Montreal's caution hotspot is the hairpin two corners from the end of the lap, and it's so bad that in the races I've ran, I've only had one full lap of green flag racing.  What happens normally is that the AI are all tightly packed from the start of the race, approach the hairpin still broadly in two distinct lines, and for some reason the cars on the outside line carry less speed through the exit of the turn.  The cars on the inside line then attempt a pass, mess it up and cause contact.

This contact should really fishtail the car on the outside off the road, but for some reason it doesn't and the car on the inside has a silly little half spin instead.  The following cars thunder into it, and there's a yellow.  Generally this happens on lap one, and then on the lap immediately following the restart, at which point the race ends under caution and I'm the winner, for reasons I'll get to in a minute.  On the one occasion we all made it through lap one, the accident took place on lap two instead.  I don't know if race length makes a difference, or if there are any settings that can be changed to alleviate it (though off the top of my head I can't think of anything to be done) but the races are an exercise in frustration because of it.

The reason I'm always the winner is that the AI aren't especially fast.  They're particularly poor under braking, an affliction they carry through every road course in the game.  Just now I qualified on pole for a Nationwide Series race using Dale Jr in a time of 1:44.4, with Dario Franchitti in 2nd place on 1:47.4.  From pole, all I have to do in a short race is stay on the road until I'm past the hairpin on lap one, do the same on the restart, and that's it.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2008 at 2:15pm
Adam,

Montoya's Texaco paint scheme is definitely NOT in packs 2 and 3, and pack 1 does not have that listed as one of the included paint schemes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>