Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Madden demo is out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMadden demo is out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Madden demo is out
    Posted: 08-05-2008 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Brent

I think I am going to make a small change and just go with Madden 09. I really do not think Head Coach is for me with all the micro-managing that I would probably sim through anyway. Pretty sure I would get bored with this one pretty quickly. Plus I can use the extra money toward a 12+1 XBL card, mine runs out in a few weeks.

Hey, at least I now get the box with Favre on the cover. Embarrassed

Edit: I just remembered that I got one free month of XBL with the returned Xbox 360 from MS, I might just preorder TW09 instead.  I also remembered that you can get the 12+1 at buy.com for $43.99, which includes shipping.

Here is what I did;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103030
Free shipping,too.I got it in less than a week.
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-04-2008 at 12:18pm
Tried the demo, besides the graphics nothing else really impressed me about the game. The Test feature seemed useless and only being able to be on Offense in a football demo seems really stupid. I think I'll stick with NCAA 09 for now, it certainly is keeping me busy and entertained.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Mike_S

Unfortunately, it had some PC-hardware-specific code in there and doesn't want to run under any DOS emulators I can find; and my original DOS-based 386 is recently dead and buried. :-(

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - it's free.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 9:26pm
Ted: Of course I used the Hockey League Simulator as well and did the same thing. :-) Additionally, you could buy updated player disks each year, and on top of that they had a really easy-to-use roster editor so when they eventually stopped making disks, you could still make your own rosters.

I kind-of agree with your comment about 2D helping it play realistically, IMO it's actually the camera angle and small players that did it, but I don't think 2D helped it attain statistical accuracy per se over a 3D game.  I think they attained statistical accuracy because of the game design, the AI, and the tuning, which I'm pretty sure should have worked for 2D or 3D.

Amazingly enough, the gameplay and fun-factor still holds up years later (at least the last time I played it which was a few years ago).  This is true of many old DOS games (and early Gameboy games too) that HAD to have gameplay because they couldn't do much with high-end graphics!!

Last for tonight: WGH III came out before I got into the industry, and when it did I was tremendously upset and bummed out.  They went 3D, and in the process re-did pretty much all the AI and tuning.  I'm not sure why they decided to do that, because except for the puck, hockey mostly happens in 2D anyway (since guys rarely jump).  Anyway it was a completely different gameplay experience, and in the transition the game lost pretty much everything that to me made WGH and WGH II so great.

So I sent a letter to Bethesda Softworks who made the game, praising them for WGH and WGH II and tearing them up for WGH III.  It included point-by-point lists of what they had broken and why it was so tragic.  A few weeks later they called me and offered me a job as an AP on the next version!! :-)

I'm glad I didn't take it as that version never came out, and the series soon thereafter died.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 8:57pm
I think I am going to make a small change and just go with Madden 09. I really do not think Head Coach is for me with all the micro-managing that I would probably sim through anyway. Pretty sure I would get bored with this one pretty quickly. Plus I can use the extra money toward a 12+1 XBL card, mine runs out in a few weeks.

Hey, at least I now get the box with Favre on the cover. Embarrassed

Edit: I just remembered that I got one free month of XBL with the returned Xbox 360 from MS, I might just preorder TW09 instead.  I also remembered that you can get the 12+1 at buy.com for $43.99, which includes shipping.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 7:30pm
Mike,

I was a die hard Wayne Gretzky Hockey player on the Amiga for several years.  I even used the companion product Hockey League Manager which allowed you to do all the management stuff and then save it as a file.  Then you would load the file in WGH and play the game and save the file.  Then load it back into HLM and manage some more.  It was very very deep and very cool.

It took a lot of years to find a hockey game that I felt surpassed WGH in fun and realism and that was NHL 2k2 on the Dreamcast.  WGH had the advantage of being 2D so that all of the play looked realistic and had statistical fidelity.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 4:33pm
I like hockey ok, but it's not my favorite.  To be honest, IMO, the NHL series has always been the best of the EA-Sports games for "fun factor".  I just haven't been excited enough about NHL or the games themselves to want to give it another try, I remember it being fun with an opponent in an arcady-way, but less fun in 1-player mode.

Also, I enjoy playing mostly single player games (which I'm told represents about 50% of the market in sports games).  I can definitely see how some of these games would be more fun if you're playing against your brother or good friends online.

BTW, are you old enough to have tried the early Wayne Gretzky Hockey games from the late '80s/early '90s on PC or Amiga ?!?  Talk about fun factor through the roof!! Great AI, easy-to-learn-but-somewhat-deep controls, believable stats, etc.  I played WGH II -- a DOS game!! -- for my PC for probably 10 years or more, talk about a high bar for EA NHL to try to match!! :-)  Unfortunately, it had some PC-hardware-specific code in there and doesn't want to run under any DOS emulators I can find; and my original DOS-based 386 is recently dead and buried. :-(

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 4:30pm
The way I look at it, I buy a game to have fun.  If it's not perfect, I have to weigh what I like vs. what I don't like about a game.  Before both Grid and NCAA were released, there were people saying that there were glitches which made the game unplayable.  On both counts, I either didn't notice the glitch, or it wasn't that important to me.  The complaints I see about Madden don't really bother me so far.  I am a sub-average gamer, so the "perfections" don't usually affect me for the most part.  I did not buy Madden last year (nor did I buy NCAA last year as well), but I like the symmetry of both games enough to buy them every other year - the symmetry being the ability to draft college players you have in NCAA into Madden.

The other thing I was attracted to was the collector's edition since I fully intended to buy Head Coach anyway.  I have only purchased one other CE so far for the 360 because the extras are not usually worth it, but this one seems fun.

To me, no game will ever be 100% perfect, but if I get a game and feel I play it enough to get my money's worth, then I am content.  I am hoping Madden is that game.  Oh, and I want to see the Pats kick the Giants ass!
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 4:06pm
Are you not a hockey fan, Mike?  I think the EA hockey games have been pretty good.

But yes, of course you are right, a wallet (not that there's anything wrong with carrying a pocketbook Wink) is the best voice a consumer has.

I love the online Nascar 09 play I've been having too, but the reports of the AI not being even able to drive on a road track pain me, not to mention the current glitch where profile saves get corrupted.  I don't think these are minor things.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-01-2008 at 3:50pm
Not completely correct for this thread, but seems to fit...I saw some comments both here and at DigitalSportsPage about pre-release complaints on the game...

If you guys see stuff you don't like -- no CPU sliders, etc. -- vote with your money and time and don't buy the new versions of the game this year or ever.  If the hardcores abandon the game completely, it will eventually lead to better quality.  At least rent it first, then decide.

Despite being a die-hard sports fan, and loving sports video games my whole life, I haven'tpersonally  purchased an EA Sports product since NCAA 2003.  And even that I knew was a probable-mistake at the time.  Before that, probably the '98 versions or so.  And before that, the '93 versions for Sega Genesis (which I actually got for free because I worked at EA at the time).   And though I wish I had some great new video games to play, I'm so much happier playing High Heat 2004 and occasionally Winning Eleven 6, or just watching super-random stuff on ESPNU or CBSC or whatever than I ever could be wasting time and money on products I know will disappoint me and not be fun! :-)

And just for grins, and way off-topic, my NCAA 2003 experience: First game.  Having a terrible time learning and executing the controls.  BC (me) leads UConn, 10-9, late in the game.  I somehow intercept a pass at about my own 1 yard line and end up in my own endzone  thanks to momentum, where I'm tackled.  Safety called; it should have been a touchback by rule, but of course the game didn't call it correctly.  Lose the game 11-10.  The amazing part: I had seen the same exact bug in the series 5 years earlier, despite playing probably 5 games max.  Albeit a small issue, it hadn't been fixed in 5 iterations of the game!  That told me that they didn't care about gameplay details, which to me personally matter a ton.  By contrast, I worked on a football game that was never released (likely the inspiration for the NFL Street series); the day we first saw that same bug in the office playing/testing the game it was fixed.  If you care, vote with your pocketbooks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>