Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Tiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th
    Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I just played 2 rounds (3 holes each) and enjoyed it more than I thought. I never played a Tiger Woods golf game and immediately liked the analog swing. My one complaint is that I wish you could swing with the right-analog stick instead of the left. It was also much less complicated than I expected. I might have to seriously consider this game.

That is because they dumbed it down. Their whole premise is EVERYONE PLAYS.  Unfortunately they have forgotten about those of us who purchase their games every year in hopes of finding a golf game, instead of Barbie's Dream Clubhouse (you will get that joke if you purchase the game). 

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:44pm
Talk about timing

http://kotaku.com/5015411/gamefly-opens-austin-distribution-center

June 11, 2008

Video game rent-by-mail company GameFly has just announced the opening of a brand new distribution center in Austin Texas. The new center will handle mailing games in little orange envelopes to subscribers across Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, and New Mexico. This is the third new center opened in the past 13 months, along with the Pittsburgh, PA and Tampa, FL locations.

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-16-2008 at 7:55am
Brent, remember our XBL chat about the commentary team changing?  It's even worse than I expected.

I think Sam Torrance is a cracking TV commentator, blessed with a dry wit that works very well on broadcasts, but from what I've heard they've given him a completely straight, serious script to read and it's awful.  I'll admit to not really knowing who the woman is but I'm still waiting for her to say something relevant.

I read at DSP that McCord and Feherty are gone because of user feedback on the TW forums - is that really true?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-16-2008 at 10:46am
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Brent, remember our XBL chat about the commentary team changing?  It's even worse than I expected.

I think Sam Torrance is a cracking TV commentator, blessed with a dry wit that works very well on broadcasts, but from what I've heard they've given him a completely straight, serious script to read and it's awful.  I'll admit to not really knowing who the woman is but I'm still waiting for her to say something relevant.

I read at DSP that McCord and Feherty are gone because of user feedback on the TW forums - is that really true?

That would be the first time the TW staff had listened to the community, which if this was the case, well strike one against the community. The problem was simply the lack of commentary over the years. This years additions boggle my mind. A coach, two new announcers that are worse than the previous ones and some gamernet changes for a bunch of silly one up me games.

I have been in a couple of threads over on the TW site ranting away to no avail. I am trying to get JCauthen (OnlookerDelay) to make his way over here. I think he would fit in well.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-16-2008 at 11:11am
Is that John Cauthen the racing guy who also stops in occasionally at DSP?  If so, he's a good guy.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-16-2008 at 12:47pm
That would be him, I noticed he played Nascar and mentioned this place.

J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-18-2008 at 1:51pm

Hi guys, I just made my way over here after getting an invitation from Brent to check out SGN.  I like what I'm seeing so far!  It's looking like Tiger Woods 2009 might be finally starting to take shape.  I got word from the Executive Producer that Presentation Cam would be an option for live play (on and offline... well he's 99% sure for online multiplayer) with 2009.  He actually took my recommendation for this last year into consideration and made it happen (they do listen on occasion!).  This news changes my outlook for the game entirely.  I got tired of Tiger Woods 2008 because of the Ball Cam only perpective for anything other than recorded Gamernet players.  I mostly liked the way Presentation cam worked with the recorded players.  It made the game feel more immersive and interesting.

We really don't know how it will play in Tour Pro mode though.  I know it will easily be more difficult than what we've seen out of this Default mode locked demo, but is it going to feel enough like a challenging simulation to satisfy long term?  I really can't say.  Club tuning will help tailor the challenge to make that a more realistic possibility, based on what I'm hearing. 

I find the putting not only ridiculously easy in the demo, but lacking in feel.  The multiple putter range system used in Tiger Woods has always been a major stick in the craw.  I just don't get it.  I think by the time you get to Tour Pro mode in this game, you should have one, fully proportional putter.  If Links 2004 could do it on the venerable XBox in 2003, whey not the next-gen XBox 360 and PS3 in 2008!?  I think the putting will be more difficult in Tour Pro mode, but it's got to go a long way to make up for cheese to be had out of Default mode putting!

I've learned that the Season mode AI has had some work, but no specifics on what.  It was confirmed to me by the TW 09 EP, that the AI players will again always be ahead of you on the course.  He said this was done to avert any accusations that the AI's were cheating to manufacture scores to beat you if you'd already posted yours.  I don't think this argument would hold water if the player was convinced that the AI's were playing out the holes, one-by-one, based on statistical models.  Links 2004 sends everyone off according to their position on the leaderboard in Careeer mode tournaments and produces scores that never have me questioning them, whey not Tiger Woods 09?

I've got the game on pre-order now that I've gotten confirmation about presentation cam for live Tour Mode play.  I look forward to playing with those of you who are planning to at least try this game out as well.

And yes, I love NASCAR 2009 myself.  I'm at best an average driver, but I know racing protocols and etiquette.  I'd like to race with you guys when my schedule permits.  I work a rotating shift, so it's hard for me do anyting on a regular, week-to-week basis.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-18-2008 at 3:37pm
Welcome aboard.

NASCAR 09 is pretty popular around here, so you should have no problem finding a time to race with us sometime. Be sure to post your gamertag in the 360 Gamertags thread.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-18-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by J Cauthen

Hi guys, I just made my way over here after getting an invitation from Brent to check out SGN.  I like what I'm seeing so far! 

The multiple putter range system used in Tiger Woods has always been a major stick in the craw.  I just don't get it.  I think by the time you get to Tour Pro mode in this game, you should have one, fully proportional putter. 

Welcome aboard. Look forward to playing some Tiger Woods with you.  I am thrilled you talked them into a presentation cam and it really does make a big difference having something other than the horrid ball-cam.

I tried putting (3 click) with the putter range system and the math used is absolutely mind boggling. The % are way off when you try and move the arrow up and down.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-18-2008 at 6:38pm
Welcome to SGN.

If you are interested in racing with us and keeping some points stats for your effort we race on Wednesday nights at 10 pm Eastern.  We're doing the entire Nascar Sprint Series (36 races) and this Wednesday is race 9 at Talladega.  Don't worry if you can't make it all the time or even very often.  It's open to come and go as you like.

I haven't played a golf game since Links on the Xbox.  Maybe I'll give Tiger a whirl this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>