Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Tiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger Woods Demo coming on the 14th
    Posted: 08-19-2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by TedSGN

Welcome to SGN.

If you are interested in racing with us and keeping some points stats for your effort we race on Wednesday nights at 10 pm Eastern.  We're doing the entire Nascar Sprint Series (36 races) and this Wednesday is race 9 at Talladega.  Don't worry if you can't make it all the time or even very often.  It's open to come and go as you like.

I'll show up, but if you get a full house of regulars, I'll be glad to cut a trail.

I haven't played a golf game since Links on the Xbox.  Maybe I'll give Tiger a whirl this year.

If you are unsure about it, I'd advise waiting until you hear some reports from others as to how well it performs online.  I had people on my friends list last year with whom I couldn't connect... period, yet I had others with whom we could play foursomes with rarely a disconnect!?
J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Brent

Welcome aboard. Look forward to playing some Tiger Woods with you.  I am thrilled you talked them into a presentation cam and it really does make a big difference having something other than the horrid ball-cam.

Thanks Brent, and I think the Presentation cam will definitely help keep the depiction of the action fresh and more immersive.  Where I'm worried about it is on the greens though, I'm afraid it's going to result in camera cuts that are going to have us asking WTF!?  For example, if you're hitting a 45 foot putt witha mean break in it and halfway to the hole, the camera cuts to a viewpoint 50 feet away from the hole at a 45 degree angle, what break/slope information can you glean from that? 

I'm not saying that this is going to be a major problem with Presentation Cam, but I've already seen it happen more times than I'd care to in the demo.  I'm keeping in mind that the demo is stuck with "Ball (they call it "Follow") cam though.  I just have a hunch that the closer you get to the green, the less distinction there is between the two camera modes... we'll see.

I tried putting (3 click) with the putter range system and the math used is absolutely mind boggling. The % are way off when you try and move the arrow up and down.

The click sytem in Tiger the last two years seems really kludgy to me.  I think Hot Shot Golf does a much better job with clicking, but there's only so much you can do with this type of interface.  Still, if I had to play Tiger Woods in Default only, I'd definitely stick with the 3-click interface, it seems to make the game more challenging, at least with my skill as a Gamepad jockey.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 12:28pm
3-click, at least for me has always provided a pretty challenge.  I have yet to find that with the analog swing, even Links 2004. 

Sad thing is the closest thing thing to truly enjoying a golf game over the past few years was that 9 hole charity flash game at WGT. One day they might just get the game (or at least 18 holes) done. Sadly even a flash game has better ball physics than TW.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 9:04am
IGN posted a lot of new images for the PS3 version (Edit: I see that they also have them on the XBox 360 page) of TW 09 today.  Here's one in particular:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14241193/tiger-woods-pga-tour-09/images/tiger-woods-pga-tour-09-20080820003627374.html

that I wanted to highlight to show the types of opponent views that the new Presentation Cam option for Tour Mode play will hopefully make common use.  It looks like I'm watching the player swing from the eyes of my golfer, where he'd be standing on the course.

Here's another one showing the reverse angle I'd like to have at my disposal on all long putts:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14241193/tiger-woods-pga-tour-09/images/tiger-woods-pga-tour-09-20080820003638686.html

You would glean the sort of break information watching the ball approach the hole from this angle that you would in real life.  It's also more immersive than the distant, 45 degree angle views that I'm seeing all too frequently in the demo.  I don't think Presentation Cam is going to consistently yield this type of view on putts, but it's a step in the right direction at least.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 10:39am
Thanks for the screens. I am still iffy about 09, hence me starting a Gamefly account. I am hoping with TW 2010 we can start seeing features implemented that we want.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 8:27pm
Found this at GAF and got a good laugh

EA's response to Tiger Woods 08 "Jesus shot" with excellent commercial

Here's the youtube of the Tiger Woods 08 "glitch":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h42UeR-f8ZA

And here is EA's commercial for 09:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1st...watch_response

They also had posted one from the year before I did not remember seeing.

This one's funny too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5chdYDbYQAA

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 8:36pm
LOL

That's a pretty funny comeback from EA.
J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 12:52am
Brent, I tried the demo out playing strictly 3-click, just out of curiosity.  I found it to be more than I can handle.  I was all over the place, but I have a devil of time hitting the marks with the squishy buttons on the XBox 360 wireless controllers.  Even at that, I found it far more challenging than the stick swing, which is basically dialed out of any sensitivity in Default, at least for the demo.

I wondered why they didn't make the 3-click available for Tour Pro mode... not any more.  I can't imagine how frantic that would be if it's this hard in Default!  I do much better with the click swing on my friend's PS3 and Hot Shots V.  I don't know whether it's the difference in action buttons or software.... probably a combination of the two.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 1:56am
It takes some getting used to. Does not help that they changed up the look of it this year, like you mention.  The last button is the toughest for me because they are so squished together (|hook|straight|slice).  It is odd that for a second straight year that that it is only available on the two easy levels and missing on the two hardest.  I will have to go with the analog swing for this reason.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-23-2008 at 7:52am
Circuit City is offering a $5 gift card with the purchase of Tiger Woods 09 on the 360 and PS3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123