Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
    Posted: 09-03-2008 at 9:06pm
I'm still playing the game a week later... in fact, I'm obsessing on it and that's why I haven't been back on the forum much.  You have to tweak the game to your level of challenge to make it interesting.  That makes my player far less competitive online, but it's worth the trade for what I'm getting from it offline.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-04-2008 at 9:30am
Originally posted by J Cauthen

I'm still playing the game a week later... in fact, I'm obsessing on it and that's why I haven't been back on the forum much.  You have to tweak the game to your level of challenge to make it interesting.  That makes my player far less competitive online, but it's worth the trade for what I'm getting from it offline.

Same here, plus I haven't even tapped into all the ways you can play this baby yet.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 1:31pm
I read somewhere that there's a option to switch the swing control to the right stick. Anyone know if this is possible? I can't wait to get home and check for myself.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I read somewhere that there's a option to switch the swing control to the right stick. Anyone know if this is possible? I can't wait to get home and check for myself.

You mean like on the very first post in this thread where I go out of my way to tell you that this is available? Embarrassed

In the controller options you can move it to the R-Stick and it moves the loft to the L-Stick.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 2:06pm
Embarrassed

How the f**k did I miss that?!?!

Thanks for confirming though. I can't wait to try it out tonight.

Brent, do you use the loft often?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 2:25pm
Loft is one of the most important parts of the game, if used correctly. I find it easier to hit full shots (95-100% range) vs. relying on the wonky % based on hitting 3/4 swings, etc.

Let me give you some examples (for ease of understanding we will leave wind out of the equation).

You have 180 to the pin and you are using a 5 iron that hits up to 180 yards.  Problem is you have a 10ft uphill shot.  You can bump up to the 4 iron but then you have to tweak your swing a bit to lower the %, yet another variable involved in hitting the shot.  I like to hit the 5 iron full with a little push forward on the loft. It gets you a little extra distance w/o having to change your full shot %.

The same goes with putting.  Forget the % stuff, it is crap on a stick.  You are pretty much setup to where all you have to move the directional for aim (left and right) and use the loft feature to add a little more power or take away some. This is especially helpful in UPHILL putts.  Move the stick forward to get a little more oomph on the putt.

You have a 4-5ft putt and the 100% is 5ft  (let's say it is slightly uphill).  If you hit it full you have a good chance of making it but I like to be on the safe side. If you pull the loft stick forward a tad it becomes more like a 4-5ft putt and hitting 100% is 7-8ft.

It is hard to say exactly how much loft changes affect each shot.  I recall many examples where I had like a 60 yard pitch and my club distance was 50. By pulling the loft forward all the way, I could reach that 60 yard distance.  Really just a matter of practicing with it.  If feels to me more like a distance boost/reducer than it does hitting the ball with more or less loft per say (of course the camera angles make it hard to tell) but you do get a bit more backspin when you pull the loft stick backwards. 

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 2:38pm
Great tips Thumbs%20Up. That's the kind of stuff I wanted to know about.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 5:38pm
Just swapped my analog stick controls (everything else stays the same Thumbs%20Up) and a great game becomes even better Clap.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2008 at 11:23am
Man I totally sucked the big one in the second round at Pebble Beach last night.  Even with two eagles... a handful of bogeys, double bogeys, and one excruciating triple bogey disqualified me from the tournament.  The wind was just a nightmare.  Very engaging stuff though.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2008 at 2:12pm
Yep, that windy second round took me out too.  Actually, I got cut from like 2 of the next 3 tourneys after that, too! All of a sudden things got windier, I went to the back tees, and the greens got hillier and quicker!

I'm still using the basic clubs (though tweaked) and I only 'power-up' with the coach training between rounds, and thankfully I'm finding that it is still a good challenge!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345