Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
    Posted: 08-27-2008 at 6:38pm
Just picked it up and only had time to tinker around and play a few holes. I did enjoy playing Pebble Beach for once as the new lighting and textures make it feel like you are playing a whole new course.

First to answer a question asked by Jason in the demo thread, just like in TW08 you can hit with the R-Stick and switch the L-Stick to changing the loft. 

The presentation cam spends too much time on the player and on the sky. Will live with ball cam until they decide to add some usable cameras next year (snap - reverse - etc).

More to come tonight or tomorrow.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 8:27am
I picked up the game late Tuesday afternoon.  After a day and a half of playing it, I can easily say that I find it to be an improvement over 2008.  I was the squeaky wheel on the Ball cam alternative, and I was hoping for something more practical when I was told that Presentation Cam was being added as an option to Ball (they call it follow) cam for 2009.  It's far more of a TV style presentation than the player persective presentation I has specifically said needed to be in there.   It looks like the message only partially registered with them Unhappy

I quit playing the 2008 game because I got tired of Ball cam before the gameplay issues broke me.  This year's Presentation Cam is still preferable to me to Ball Cam, but mostly because I hate ball cam so bad.  At least 1/4 of the time, I'm going WTF!? with some of the angles chosen... angles that deprive of seeing things happening to the ball that would help you with your next shot, paricularly putts!

Maybe 10% of the time, Presentation Cam comes close to delivering the sort of player perspective view, followed by a cut to a short tower (10-12') mounted camera tracking the ball is it approaches its destination.  The problem is that they are breaking away from the swing camera instantly, and jumping to a player camera that's maybe 3 feet to the left of the swing camera.  This view isn't held long enough.  It should be held until the ball reaches the apex of its flight, then the switch to the downrange camera should occur.

What's sad about this is that I know the current game engine can support just what I want.  The developers just don't have the vision to give the player the coniguration tools to let us design our own presentation style.

The club tuner has turned out to be the equivalent of "sliders" in team sports games.  I'm very happy with where I'm at right now in terms of making my golfer play a realistic game, yielding realistic numbers for: FIR, GIR, average distance, and scoring.  I'm at 20 - 23% with my Driver, Woods, Irons, and Wedge sweetpots (each one has its own sweetspot setting).  You start at roughtly 53% sweetspot, to give you some perspective.  When I combine 20 - 23% sweetspot with my created player's overall attributes hovering around an overall average of "8", I'm seeing believable real world performances out of my created player.

Online, the performance has been stellar, thus far.  I've had a few people quit on my after they realized they'd stumbled into a Tour mode game, but I've noticed no lag, or anomalies. 

The archaic, multiple putter range mechanic sticks out like a sore thumb even more this year.  It's really got to go.  Putting is still a challenge and there's some gratification to be had out of it, but it just seems like a counter-intuitive subgame. 

I'm hooked though... the tweakable difficulty makes this game seem so much more alive to me.  My limited player will not fare well online however.  Most online zealots are going to use club tuner to yield the lowest scores, no matter how unrealistic the FIRs, GIRs, and average distances turn out to be.  That doesn't bother me... it's just not the style of game I want to play.  I get no satisfaction out of shooting a 48 in Tour Pro mode using superhuman players.   I'd rather have a player who is rooted in a believable statistical foundation posting an occastional 63.  I think I'm going to have that with what I've got now.   
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 11:51am
John, I think we are a lot alike. We take what the TW dev team gives us and try to find the best in it, because we love golf games.  Problem is how little the TW team loves us back. They are the only game in town on the 360 with little competition on the PS3 and they (EA Corporate) know that.

All we can do is keep harping on them the things that need to be fixed/added and hope for the best.  Hopefully we can get a few matches in online.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 12:25pm
Edit:  Just stuck my Tiger Woods 2010 wishlist up on the TW 360 forum.  I like to be ignored early and often. ;)

J Cauthen View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote J Cauthen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Brent

Edit:  Just stuck my Tiger Woods 2010 wishlist up on the TW 360 forum.  I like to be ignored early and often. ;)

Just read it Brent... good stuff.  I'll weigh in over there in detail when I get time later.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 3:55pm
One thing I like is that I will be able to get my player ready for the Tour mode quickly. I went from the start with 4 ratings to 6+ on each after just one round. Not a fan of the Tiger challenges so I think after a couple more rounds I can start my Tour mode.

I never have messed with the gameface feature.  Downloaded some cookie monster headshots just to see how they come out. :)

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 4:02pm
So in tour mode do you play the entire PGA tour?  Are all the courses there?  I think I'm going to gamefly this if I know I can play some rounds with you guys.  I just don't play golf alone it isn't fun to me.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

So in tour mode do you play the entire PGA tour?  Are all the courses there?  I think I'm going to gamefly this if I know I can play some rounds with you guys.  I just don't play golf alone it isn't fun to me.

The PGA Tour has a lot more events than TW09 has courses. Not all of the 16 courses are hosting tour events on the PGA Tour this year.  The ones off the top of my head that are would be.

Harbour Town
Pebble Beach  (though it is missing Spyglass and Poppy Hills which are used on the PB Pro Am)
TPC Sawgrass
Riviera
Bay Hill
Doral
TPC Boston (PGA Playoffs)
East Lake (PGA Playoffs)

It is pretty generic with mostly fictional tourneys where you play for the FedEx Cup (that is what it was called in 08).  You can edit a few things before starting a tour (number of rounds per tourney, etc).

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-28-2008 at 7:36pm
I may buy down the line a bit - I just don't want to spend $60 on a golf game that I won't play that much.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-29-2008 at 4:36pm
I picked this up today.  So far it seems even better than 08, which I quite liked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>