Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tiger Woods 09 Impressions Thread
    Posted: 09-02-2008 at 9:24pm
I'm loving this game and switched back to the analog swing. Now that I have a better feel for how it works, I couldn't see myself going back to the 3-click method.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-02-2008 at 10:27pm
Jason, do you like golf in real life?  I ask because I don't and if you are a non-golfer that is enjoying this then I wonder if I will too.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 6:26am
I've never played golf in real life and don't watch it on TV either, but I've always enjoyed golf video games since owning the DOS version of links back in the early 90's. The Tiger Woods series is new to me and probably one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 7:59am
I don't play golf and haven't liked a game since Links.  Enjoying this one thoroughly.  Those little Live Challenges that pop up are a neat idea... got the '15 minutes of fame' achievement last night by beating one of those challenges on a chip-in.  I'm waiting for the fan mail to start pouring in.

Is anyone else playing on tour pro difficulty?  Web, I imagine you are.  I don't have the instruction manual and can't figure out if I'm wasting my time trying to "charge" my power during the backswing, and by tapping to try and influence spin in mid-air.  I have the feeling those arcadey things might be turned off on Tour Pro but can't find confirmation.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 8:58am
Yep, I'm playing on Tour Pro and the 'power charge' and 'air-spin' are definitely disabled.  If you're playing career, you'll find that your power is noticeably gimped for a couple of rounds, but you level up very quickly, or at least I did.

Without playing any tiger challenges, I just won my third tourney at -24, getting 'beefed up' only by playing the rounds of the tourneys and some of the coach practices in between.   My stat average is about 8.5.

I'm a little disappointed that I was able to shoot so well so early at this point, although the competition shoots well too.

Links was the last console golf game I really liked too.  I don't play golf, but I appreciate the game and do enjoy watching the last day of good tourneys.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 9:07am
Gosh, think of all the energy I could have saved by not tapping A so strenuously for the last week.

-24!  That's low.  I finished my first event at 5 over, but that was after an awful first day where putting hadn't clicked yet.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Derek

Without playing any tiger challenges, I just won my third tourney at -24, getting 'beefed up' only by playing the rounds of the tourneys and some of the coach practices in between.   My stat average is about 8.5.

I'm a little disappointed that I was able to shoot so well so early at this point, although the competition shoots well too.

I was right around that area (8.5) and averaging 5 to 8 under per round in the tourneys on Tour Pro.  First thing to remember is you play off the front tees the first season (or at least the first few events as that is where they have been so far). Plus the wind is pretty tame early on and the greens are slow.

What has helped bring me down to earth is a two fold approach. 
#1 go purchase some "advanced" clubs that do not boost your stats.
#2 tune those "advanced" clubs to reduce the sweet spot (under 25% on all clubs) and shorten up the drive power.

You can make this game as easy or hard as you want it to be, thanks to the club tuning feature.  Another thing you can do (kinda a house rule) is to make sure on each drive/approach shot you hit some sort of draw or fade. It is actually more realisitic since most every pro out there hits one or both.

After doing this, play 18 holes from the back tee, with heavy winds and fast greens.  You probably won't have any complaints about the difficulty. ;)

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 2:35pm
Does the AI in the career mode drop back down with you?  Though I shot a -24, I only won by 3 strokes.  
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 2:51pm
Hard to say as I am going through the first season with only 18 holes per tourney 36 holes for a major.  I like to rush through the first season due to it playing from the shorter tees and less difficult conditions.  Once I get past this season and unlock all the courses I will then switch to my tuned clubs for the difficulty.  Currently only using them for exhibition rounds.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 8:18pm
I turned off "power" and "spin" in standard play mode since it's not used on Pro Tour and shot a 69 (3 under par) at Sheshan. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>