Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 09 Demo Available on Xbox Marketplace!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 09 Demo Available on Xbox Marketplace!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 09 Demo Available on Xbox Marketplace!!!
    Posted: 09-03-2008 at 6:30am
Going to download it now.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 8:16am
After two demo games, I'm not seeing a huge difference from 08 in gameplay or graphics. The player control seems to be a little tighter, but the players don't seem to have as much "weight" as is 08. It was interesting to see how simple the gameplay was with the NHL 94 control option. Looking forward to playing the demo some more tonight.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 10:00am
Did you play be-a-pro mode?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 2:49pm
No, I just played the Play Now on Pro.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2008 at 4:00pm
I agree with Jason - so far it feels the same as 08.  I will probably pick this up for the Legend mode (or whatever they are calling it), but not right away.  I am too busy with TW09 and Mercs2 to have time to play it much now anyway.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-04-2008 at 7:47am
I played on be-a-pro mode for four games and regular for one game.  It is quite a bit of the same gameplay from 08, with some new animations.  I found the AI to be tougher defensively and I like how they cleared the front of their net and made it tough of forwards to block and screen the goalie.  The lift stick animation was pretty cool to see and it felt like there was  slightly more board play.  I also found the puck an little bouncier than last year and a little looser also.  Passes are still mostly tape to tape, but the puck isn't quite as sticky on a player's stick.  All in all it feel like a lot of little minor tweaks, all for the better.  The player graphics have been cleaned up a little too.

There were some stutters on the cut scenes at whistle stops.  Hopefully that will be cleaned up.

I quite enjoyed be-a-pro and the camera they used.  I didn't think it interfered at all with the game and was able to figure out where I was and where my teammates were at all times.  My AI teammates were hitting me with passes when I was open and it was easy to find where I was supposed to be on the ice with the blue arrow.  Sometimes it felt like the arrow was wrong, but I listened to my coach and did what he said.

Really looking forward to starting my EASHL career.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-04-2008 at 8:53am
Puck is definitely bouncier and a little harder to get on the stick. While the passes are on target I'm seeing plenty of pucks bounce over the stick.

Line changes are deeper this year.  You can change out forwards and defensemen separately. 

Got a handle on the protect puck execution.  My initial reaction is it might be too effective, but it is the demo and may be different in the game.  I'm not sure a player could be checked off the puck in protect puck mode, but maybe stick lifted?
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-04-2008 at 1:55pm
I tried it last night, and enjoyed it. The players do seem a bit quicker and not as heavy in their hits, but I actually like these changes. The be a pro mode was better than I thought.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-05-2008 at 8:02pm
Getting the hang of be-a-pro.  Got A+'s in all three of my categories after having a two assist game.

Positioning is starting to feel natural and I'm seeing less of the blue arrow.  I even got off 4 shots in that game so I was a bit of a monster.LOL

It's going to be a long week.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-06-2008 at 11:22am
This has now become a release day purchase for me. I can't go back to 08 after playing 09 demo so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>