Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Is the NHL 09 online community a microcosm........
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs the NHL 09 online community a microcosm........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the NHL 09 online community a microcosm........
    Posted: 09-26-2008 at 4:07pm
....of a f**ked up culture?  I think I might be done with this game.  The constant verbal abuse.  The criticism without teaching or advise.  The win at all cost behavior among opponents.  The exploitation of early committing of CPU goalies.  The exploitation of getting stuck on the post of human goalies   The grotesque lack of team play in what is arguably the consumate team sport.  The pursuit of goals and assists at the expense of teamwork, camaraderie, and winning.  The carelessness, rudeness and lack of courtesy with which people treat each other.

My honest opinion is there is nothing redeeming or uplifting about playing this game online and it saddens me because this is what I always wanted in a sports game....to be able to take a persona online and compete with/against other people and their personas.

These comments have nothing to do with playing with Web or Brent.  This game represents everything I vehemently hate about the human race.  I don't think I can play it anymore and stay emotionally healthy.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 4:19pm
I think any online game playing with the GenPop will get this kind of play.  Personally I can't stand it.  I played Duke Nukem yesterday and got stuck in a room where the "N" word was flying out of everyone's mouths constantly.  Then I entered another room and someone yelled "get the F out of my room" - since it was a ranked match, it wasn't his room.  Finally, I played one match where the lag was so crappy that I had to back out - this morning I noticed I got negative feedback for leaving early.

How does the online communication count with teamplay.  In other words, if there were three of us on a team, can we play with the other three being AI or does it force you to add more humans?  Do you only hear your own team talking or do you hear the opponents as well?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 6:30pm
You can play with any mixture of humans and AI with a minimum of 2 humans.  Before and after the game you can hear the other team.  During play it is only your team.  In case I was not clear in my post all of the verbal abuse and criticism I complained about is coming from team mates in random ranked OTP BAP games.  The exploitations are primarily in EASHL club games.

What is GenPop...haven't heard of that.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 6:41pm
Oh, sorry.  GenPop is my anachronism for General Population.  It seems more benign than the label I want to use ..... a-holes.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 7:09pm
I'm of the belief that most people are assholes and the asshole ratio increases when you include online gaming and the internet. The sad fact is that most of your online gaming with randoms will usually turn out to be a negative experience.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I'm of the belief that most people are assholes and the asshole ratio increases when you include online gaming and the internet. The sad fact is that most of your online gaming with randoms will usually turn out to be a negative experience.

Agreed, and which is why I stick to playing with friends from adult groups.  Unfortunately, I often tend to be an achievement whore, and Duke Nukem has three achievements easily attained by playing ranked matches (right Fazeo?).  Plus, when I played DN on the PC, it was my very first online experience and I never had a problem ..... people were still respectful back then (and couldn't talk to each other!).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 7:22pm
The problem now is that you have all these internet tough guys and wannabe gangstas. My blood pressure would go through the roof if I played with these assholes online and I'd spend more time than I'd admit trying to track them down to kick the sh*t out of them. The only reason I come off as a nice guy is because I'm treated with nothing but respect from everyone here - I give what I get.

I'm the type of person that goes out of my way to hold a door open for someone in a public location, but have no problem telling them to f**k themselves if they don't acknowledge my gesture.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 7:24pm

The problem now is that you have all these internet tough guys and wannabe gangstas. My blood pressure would go through the roof if I played with these assholes online and I'd spend more time than I'd admit trying to track them down to kick the sh*t out of them. The only reason I come off as a nice guy is because I'm treated with nothing but respect from everyone here - I give what I get.

I'm the type of person that goes out of my way to hold a door open for someone in a public location, but have no problem telling them to f**k themselves if they don't acknowledge my gesture.

After saying all that, I really want to go online and kick the sh*t out of someone's hockey team tonight. Anyone going to be around later?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 7:39pm

After saying all that, I really want to go online and kick the sh*t out of someone's hockey team tonight. Anyone going to be around later?

Count me in. 

Boxing

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-26-2008 at 8:15pm
I'm in the mood for sh*t kicking myself, but my system is now a goner. :( 

Let's see how long I can last being a Wii-only owner...

Nah, I'll have the original Xbox hooked up too, I'm sure.  Never did finish some good titles on there...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>