Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: The New Xbox Live Experience...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe New Xbox Live Experience...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Xbox Live Experience...
    Posted: 10-10-2008 at 7:27am
is coming on November 19th (link) and Tekken 6 was announced for the Xbox 360. Sony fanboys can't be happy about Tekken's 360 release LOL.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 7:43am
I'm looking forward to being able to load Xbox games on the HDD. The console is much quieter without the DVD drive spinning. I may look at buying a 120GB HDD for this reason only.

Apparently games will load quicker too:

TeamXbox Comparison
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 5:14pm
I'm looking forward to the avatars and party system.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 6:39pm
Hands On...

Just posted on Gizmodo:

Quote:
The New Xbox Experience is ready to go live soon as part of the Xbox fall update, and after getting some quality face time with the UI and it's new features, I'm pretty impressed. The update addresses the core Xbox software on two levels: most notable is that the design of the UI received a complete overhaul, (mostly) eschewing the blades for a more immersive, intuitive, Media Center-like experience. Secondly, it adds new functionality, allowing for Netflix streaming, group-based gaming, heavily customized avatars, ripping games straight to HDD and an all new quick menu that comes up when you hit the home button.

The first thing you notice while using the new UI is how fluid and dynamic it is. Microsoft wasn't content to just create some static screens and call it a day. Many of the menus have multiple animations and 3D elements at work, which give the software life. Your avatar sits on the menu, fully rendered, loafing around on your screen. Moving from section to section is so fluid that you stop thinking about what your doing with the controller. There's also the Spotlight menu subset, which highlights the games and features of the Xbox you use the most, so that you don't have to waste time surfing menus. And this efficient mindset extends thoughout the entire Xbox UI.

We've touched on it before, but the level of customization you can put into your avatar is nuts. Clothes, Face, Body and Hair are all heavily modifiable within the avatar creator. And they not only feature prominently in menu system and Xbox Live's social features, but they will also be integrated into more games down the road.

The ability to rip games to your HDD is a neat feature that can not only cut down on load times, but the sound that comes with using the DVD drive. It's not intended to archive your entire games library, but rather the few games you play ALOT. In this context, I see it being very handy. It still requires you insert the game disc when you start a game each time, just so it can verify it's not a pirated copy, but after that, the disc drive lies dormant.

I didn't get a look at the Netflix software in this version of the UI, but based on the performance of the Roku and the screens of the Xbox Netflix interface, you can pretty much guess what that experience will be like.

Theme junkies will be glad to know that Themes 2.0 for NXE are far more integrated into the UI than before. Instead of a background and matching color scheme, Themes 2.0 now has features like 3D renderings instead of tiles behind each menu object, that relate to the theme in some way.

Party-style gaming is another new feature Xbox put a lot of effort into and are touting as a main feature in this new UI. I didn't get to see a ton of this mode in action, but I got the sense it will be popular amongst groups of friends who don't always want to play the same game the entire time they're on Live, but want to stay in touch just in case. The menus for creating parties are pretty simple, as you only need to select create party or invite friends and add friends from a list.

Lastly, the Video and Game Marketplaces has been revamped and are pretty well thought out. There are multiple ways to search for content, whether it be XBLA games, XNA games, additional game content, or video, you can search by name, genre or category, and the list continuously repopulates itself as you refine your search string letter by letter. Featured titles appear in the front menu.

Overall, the New Xbox Experience seems to be focused around an polished and efficient experience. We'll be getting our hands on the final version soon, so keep your eyes peeled for a full review.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 6:40pm
Also you are forced to use an avatar, even if you completely despise them. It will not be optional.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 7:00pm
I can hardly wait to see all the gangsta and stoner avatars Rolling Eyes
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2008 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

I can hardly wait to see all the gangsta and stoner avatars Rolling Eyes

From what I have read they will be pretty tame. No violent avatars, per say.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-14-2008 at 9:43pm

Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program

The New Xbox Experience requires at least 128 MB of storage. That means that some Xbox 360 owners won't meet the minimum requirements to download the new user interface when it launches on November 19, 2008. As a result, Microsoft is offering storage solutions.

If you own an Xbox 360 Core with less then 128MB of storage, you are eligible for either a FREE 512MB memory card or a refurbished 20GB HDD for $19.99; and if you own an Xbox 360 Arcade with less then 128MB of storage it appears, you may be eligible for a refurbished 20GB HDD + 3 months of Xbox Live for $29.99.

If you meet the criteria above, just go here and enter your system's serial number and ID.

Source: TeamXbox.com

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2008 at 8:05am
I just downloaded my update this morning. I'm anxious to check it out tonight.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2008 at 8:45am
Fazeo's avatar makes him look like one of the Backstreet Boys  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>