Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Is Gamefly getting more popular?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs Gamefly getting more popular?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Gamefly getting more popular?
    Posted: 10-24-2008 at 11:04am
Seth, when you had that problem was there any sign of it on your browser or were you just suspicious because nothing was shipping.

I've had an open slot in my Q since a week before Blitz II shipped.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 11:07am
I can only add that for the short while that I was a gamefly member again, I had two new release games that did not ship with an open slot available.  That was the main reason I wanted to use gamefly (New Releases). 

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 11:13am
I was suspicious as I had an open spot in my queue, a game was listed as available now, and nothing happened for a good three days. 

You guys are putting the soon-to-be-released title in your Q ahead of its release, right?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 11:14am
Yes, weeks ahead.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 11:18am
Yes sir, I had a one soon to be release game in the queue a week before it released, the other was added a day or so before it was released.  I was also a new customer, which most companies like this tend to slip up to the top so they do not get bad first impressions.

I have no issues with the company. There are limitations to how many new games you can have. It helps to have a little patience when using these services (something I lack dearly in).

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Brent

There are limitations to how many new games you can have.

Do you mean you think they'll put the brakes on certain shipments in order to regulate how many new games you have, as opposed to older ones?  I've never really gotten that impression from them.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-24-2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Slumberland

Do you mean you think they'll put the brakes on certain shipments in order to regulate how many new games you have, as opposed to older ones?  I've never really gotten that impression from them.

I meant that is difficult to meet the demand of people wanting New Release games and stocking that many at launch, to meet that demand. Inventory has to play a big part in how many of these games they get at launch.  You have to figure on how well games sell over time and still leave them enough to cover the demand for for rentals in future months, years, etc. A single game has to be rented out a certain amount of times just to be profitable (the monthly payment structure and unlimited rentals makes this more difficult to figure, as you have variables that change per user). I am sure great caution is used. It always sounded a bit risky to me, when you factor in paying shipping both ways and dealing with theft, lost games, etc.  Movies make more sense with this model since they are far less expensive. 

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-28-2008 at 7:33am
This is such a crazy time of year.  I've got three games from Gamefly that I really want to play through, but I want to finish Saints Row before moving on to Fable 2 (which is quite good in the little bit I've played) and Midnight Club (which looks amazing and fits the bill of the more arcadish racer that I've been looking for to use with the 360 wheel).  Meanwhile Fallout is set to arrive from Amazon today.  And I have to do all this while getting a new band up to speed and also not looking like I'm shirking my wedding planning responsibilities.

I was excited about Little Big Planet at one point but with all that's going on I don't really care right now.  Gamefly is such a tricky beast though... if you don't get in on the initial release, it's unclear when you'll be able to get something.  I'll take my chances that GF will have some LBP's to ship in December or something.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-28-2008 at 10:25am
Woohoo!  Fallout 3 shipped today.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-28-2008 at 10:36am
Nice!  Did you ever have to put in a call to them?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>