Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Video game deals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVideo game deals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order / View Unread Post
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video game deals?
    Posted: 03-20-2006 at 12:47am
I'll give that a try, thanks.  The thing is though that I don't like to switch the cameras I use online and offline and I'm not sure if you can change camera online.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-19-2006 at 11:48pm
Regarding variety of hit hardness, it's light years beyond last year's game.  I'm definitely seeing a lot of different speeds off the bat, and even some neat flares that manage to drop between the infielders and the outfielders for hits.

I feel you on the fielding being sort of automated, but I've gotten used to it.  Some of the animations are just so good, and the diving feels great when you pull it off manually.

Ted, I highly recommend the offset camera for batting.  It makes judging speed and height just a bit easier, at least to these eyes.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-19-2006 at 9:43pm
To add:

I played an offline game Seattle @ KC (they are close in ratings) and won 5-2.  It was a good game of baseball with 25 hits combined evenly for the day.  No home runs, but 5 doubles.

I still think that the hit variety as far as hardness of hits is not that good.  But the pitching game is so good.  For everything this this game does great there is something mediocre to counterbalance and bring ithe overall experience down.  Thankfully nothing seems broken.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-19-2006 at 9:38pm
Web said he had lag.  It was the smoothest online baseball game I've ever played.  He hosted so I don't really understand the lag on his end.  There is far less button lag than NCAA.  The bit of lag I saw was in the form of an instant pause and then resume while the game synched up I would guess.

I don't like the hitting nearly as well as EA's game, but I like the pitching quite a bit more.  I need to learn to hit in this game.  The game plays longer online than the EA game.  We went about 65 minutes last night and we were skipping through nearly all the replays and walk ups.  And I wasn't being nearly as patient at the plate as I am against you in MVP.  I just can't read the pitch well yet.  The worst part of reading the pitch is that balls in the dirt look like strikes to me.  I don't even see the ball hitting the dirt and it's past the catcher and I still swing because it looks like a pitch at the knees from my perspective.  I need to adjust to stop swinging at anything that looks below the belt.

I really don't like the infield fielding in this game.  I just don't have any control of the fielder.  It's almost automatic and the ridiculous part is that it's easier to field hard grounders (which make up 90%) than choppers.  It does that EA hesitation thing where your fielder decides he's not going to field the ball only in this version it is worse.

I think Web wants to play kinda regular.  Since I own it it's easy for me to say yes to the rotation.  I think Slumber likes it and will be around.  It would surprise me if you didn't like this game, but I don't think it is as good a game as MVP 06.  I'm happy to play ladder games with it for now though.  The bottom line is that it plays a smooth game.  It is fair and balanced and pretty fun once you get adjusted to the different mechanics.

Also, the game has the most professional presentation of any baseball game I've played and surpasses the excellence of the previous versions of the series in that regard.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-19-2006 at 8:54pm

Originally posted by Ted_L

Good game, Web.  Post it on the ladder and I'll confirm.

So guys, how did the game play online last night? Should it be added to the rotation?

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 11:28pm
Good game, Web.  Post it on the ladder and I'll confirm.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 11:19pm

Unfortunately, no headset. :(

I figure we'll use # 3 or # 4 starters, too.

See you in a bit.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 10:58pm
Do you have a headset or will we be playing mute?  Just wondering.

I won't quit in the middle of a game even if I can't handle the speed.  We'll play it out at All Star.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 9:27pm

Yeah, I play HOF offline so my buddy and I played on All-Star online.    We only played one game, but I think the score was 6-2, or something like that.

I'll start it there, but if you are not enjoying it, just quit or something so we can try veteran.  I'm mostly concerned about you handling the pitch speeds if you are just getting used to the game.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 8:47pm
How is the offensive production on All Star online?  I ask because Jason and I tend to play lower difficulties online than off with the thought that a 6-5 game is more fun than a 2-1.

I also think it is more realistic for the human pitcher to be just as worried about the batter as a human batter is about the pitcher.

However,  I'll gladly play a game on All Star to check out how it plays if that is where you prefer to start.

I figure I'll have to make a tag since this is the first time online for me with a 989 product.  I'll be TedSGN or TEDatSGN so look for something like that.

Looking forward to the game!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>