Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Video game deals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVideo game deals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video game deals?
    Posted: 03-18-2006 at 11:14am
Haven't played it yet.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 11:50am
Cool, Ted.  I'm down for an online game.  How bout 11:30 PM EST tonight?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 11:57am

Originally posted by Ted_L

Haven't played it yet.

I know your daughter is visiting this weekend, but you need to get your priorities straight .

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 12:15pm
HA!  She said I could play a game and she's relaxing with a magazine.

I'm losing Seattle to the visiting Yanks 6-4 in the third inning on Veteran.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

Cool, Ted.  I'm down for an online game.  How bout 11:30 PM EST tonight?

Web,  I should be able to give you a definite answer by 9 pm.  Would it be ok to ask you to check back in at 9?  If you want to move on to something else or are able to make firmer plans for your online time I understand.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by Ted_L

I'm losing Seattle to the visiting Yanks 6-4 in the third inning on Veteran.

Go Yanks!!!

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 1:26pm
Sure, I'll check in later.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 3:11pm
Lost 11-5.  I hit two home runs including a grandslam and gave up two homeruns.  Have a lot to relearn about the pitching in this game.  There's a lot I like, there is some stuff that I miss from MVP, but overall this is a very good game.  It still looks like the ball deflects down on fly balls off the bat, but in the replay that doesn't happen.  I'm curious how good and customizable the game is online.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 3:20pm

Ted,

How's the fielding and zone-batting compared to MVP?

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2006 at 5:51pm
I think the fielding is harder and I feel more detached from my player.  It feels like the players are heavier than MVP.  I think fielding grounders is easier than fly balls and in real life I would have a harder time with grounders than flies.  But then again I was a natural outfielder.  This game just seems opposite to real life in that regard.  I really like that most of the throws from the outfield are off line, sometimes a great deal.  It makes you appreciate a good outfielder.  On the other hand I find that all of the throws I made during my game in the infield were right at the first baseman's chest.

I find it easier to time my swing than MVP, but it is harder for me to tell which zone the pitch is going to end up in.  The guess pitch is just like I remember it from 05 (the last version I played) and it helps to figure out where the pitch may end up or what is coming.  I miss hitter's eye from MVP.

After one game there was nothing about The Show that made me think it was a great game (meaning a 9 or 10), but there was also nothing that irritated me.  That may sound boring, but that is not what I mean to say.  I think it is just a solid baseball title.  Personally I'm interested in the college game more than the pro, but this is a good game without a doubt.

I did really enjoy hitting that grand slam.  I had bases loaded with 0 outs after a leadoff walk and two singles.  I got a 2-0 count and guess right on an inside fastball and tee'd off on it.

I also had a cool moment when I noticed during Giambi grounding out to 2nd that there was a rover in right.  Sure enough I checked and the infield had automatically shifted and only my third baseman was between second and third.  Either my SS or 2B auto shifted to cover Giambi's pull tendency and it resulted in an out.  Totally unexpected and the first time I've seen a video game play an extreme shift like that.  Giambi did burn me the next time he came to bat by going the opposite way with a bloop single.

A-Rod tagged me for a dinger and I hit one over Matsui's head that bounced off the top of the wall.  Matsui went up for it, but was just a little to the left of the ball and missed.  It was nice to see the CPU mimic a human that way.  I also saw Damon make a lunging grab for a base hit in the gap that he kept from going to the wall for a double.  He rolled over and came up firing to second.  The throw was offline and I might have had a chance at the double anyway, but his grabbing it kept me from hitting L1 to advance.

I'm looking forward to playing more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>