Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: PS3 is delayed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS3 is delayed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS3 is delayed
    Posted: 03-14-2006 at 1:41pm
14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.

-----

So Japan in November and one would imagine USA in Spring 2007.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2006 at 3:25pm
That would be great news for Microsoft. They'd have plenty of Xbox 360's to sell during the 2006 holiday season in the US.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2006 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by Jason

That would be great news for Microsoft. They'd have plenty of Xbox 360's to sell during the 2006 holiday season in the US.

Feeling tempted, Jason?

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2006 at 4:16pm

Originally posted by webdanzer

Feeling tempted, Jason?

I am .

Don't be shocked if the 360 is my console of choice for the next generation. Sony is the first and only company that I've been loyal to for more than one generation (PS1 & PS2).

I've gone from Atari (2600) to Nintendo (NES) to Sega (Genesis) to Sony (PS1) and Sony again with the PS2.

The Xbox 360's biggest competition for my gaming dollars is my PS2. Unlike past generations, I'm not desperate for the next-generation of systems. It's probably a testament to the strides made this generation in sports gaming and racing titles.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2006 at 5:49pm
Kinda disappointed.  Was hoping they would get it out this year.  I think I'll stop stalling then and get a 360.  I really want to play Round 3 with it.  I'll be looking this Friday on the mainland.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2006 at 7:12pm
If anything wait until May for E3 to hit and all the good info to come out. I am also going to wait for the 360 to drop in price later this year, as promised by MS.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 12:46pm
Well worldwide launch in November. I guess that makes Ebay sellers thrilled to hear.

IGN Lowdown

Quotes and more

At the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, Ken Kutaragi has just added another infamous quote to his belt, this time stating that PS3 games are "live" and that the PS3 concept is "4D".

He claims that games have gone from 8-bit to 16-bit planes, to the "space" that you saw on the PS1/PS2, and now PS3 will be "live".

Beginning at the system's launch, currently scheduled for sometime this November, the system will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat, commerce features that includes bootable software via the hard drive and more.

The service was created with the help of Sony Online Entertainment. Best of all, the "basic" service will be free of charge.

At its PlayStation Business Briefing 2006 in Japan, Sony announced its production plans for BD-ROM discs (Blu-ray). Firstly, all PlayStation 3 games will ship on Blu-ray to help prevent piracy. In other words, no "cheap" DVD releases; Blu-ray only. Of course, it'll still play PS2 and movies on DVD, but all PS3 releases will be on Blu-ray.

The company expects initial BD-ROM production to reach 2.5 million in Japan and Europe and 5 million in the US.

From Gaming Age
  • Worldwide Launch - November 11.
  • Six million units produced in 2006 alone, a move to stem shortages.
  • The price will not be less than 50,000 yen ($420 US)
  • Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles, akin to what the Xbox 360 does.
  • 60GB HDD standard, loaded with Linux.
  • Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy.
  • The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 1:06pm
That 4D quote is apparently the equivilent to Emotion Engine. 

After reading everything I find myself teetering toward getting both an Xbox 360 and PS3 down the line. If you can get Blue Ray and a gaming system w/ hard drive for under $500 that is a really good deal.

I would get the Xbox 360 first this fall or winter (depending on the price drop) and the PS3 next year.  In both cases there will be a bunch of games that will have dropped in price by the time I get one.

Or I could do the wise thing, give up gaming and find a cheaper hobby.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 1:50pm

Originally posted by Brent

Or I could do the wise thing, give up gaming and find a cheaper hobby.

There aren't that many hobbies for guys our age that are much cheaper. I always make it a point to tell my wife that I could have ALOT of other hobbies that are MORE expensive or LESS moral . Having your husband stay home on Saturday nights playing online games is NOT the worst thing in the world.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-15-2006 at 1:54pm
Well I could never give up gaming. Tried too many times. Worst case senario I will just keep holding off on the next generation and keep playing the Xbox until next year. I have gone this long without buying a 360 which is a suprise even to me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>