Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Racing?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRacing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing?
    Posted: 01-26-2009 at 11:20am
I'm jonesing for some online racing.  Anyone else? 

I know a bunch of us have Nascar, but I'd consider other options too if folks have other games.

PGR? GRID? Anything else?  I don't have PGR4 but I'll pick it up if it'll get folks racing again.

Maybe Wed night or sooner?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 3:26pm
I'd love to do some PGR or NASCAR racing.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 6:04pm
I don't have Grid anymore, but I have PGR4 and Nascar.  PGR is a better party game IMHO - I have a few non-SGN buds who would love to play if you wanted to fill a room (plus there is Fazeo, of course).

Anyone have Burnout Paradise?  That is probably the best driving game out there right now.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 6:55pm
Yup, I've kept Burnout Paradise around.  Really, really well made, and the support post-release has been exceptional, but I've never once tried it online.  I've raced against some of the road rules times you and Web have put up, and that's about it.

I don't have anything apart from Stuntman Ignition at the minute, though I could probably be persuaded to pick up PGR again (again, again, again as it happens...) if it was likely to have any kind of medium-term mileage.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Yup, I've kept Burnout Paradise around.  Really, really well made, and the support post-release has been exceptional, but I've never once tried it online.  I've raced against some of the road rules times you and Web have put up, and that's about it.

I don't have anything apart from Stuntman Ignition at the minute, though I could probably be persuaded to pick up PGR again (again, again, again as it happens...) if it was likely to have any kind of medium-term mileage.

Yes, the post-release support has been fantastic - two major additions that they could have charged for, but gave out for nothing.

The online play is fantastic Adam.  There are challenges you can do as a group depending on how many are in the room - 2-8.  Most of them involve everybody meeting up somewhere on the map and then doing tricks simultaneously ..... hard to explain unless you are playing it, but that mode has the best replay value of any.  Maybe we can get a room going - I know over a dozen people who would love to start playing this on a casual basis.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 8:12pm
I just purchased Paradise this weekend, actually.  I had it for a long rental when it first came out, but only grabbed it to own now that it is very inexpensive.  I was looking for a bit more 'standard' racing when I started this thread, but I'd be happy to play in some online Paradise sessions too.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-26-2009 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Derek

I just purchased Paradise this weekend, actually.  I had it for a long rental when it first came out, but only grabbed it to own now that it is very inexpensive.  I was looking for a bit more 'standard' racing when I started this thread, but I'd be happy to play in some online Paradise sessions too.

There are some "standard-like" races in this one, but not like what I think you are saying.  Trust me, this is a great game to play with friends who have a sense of humor.  There are some wild moments in it.  Glad you got it Derek!  Now for peer pressure on the rest!
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2009 at 9:35am
Oy, I just got rid of it... no one I knew seemed to play online, and once I finished my 'A' license, everything beyond that seemed like drudgery.  Poor timing!
Jaredpk2000 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaredpk2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2009 at 9:55am
I played PGR 3 & 4.  I have to say both were excellent games.  Both games do a nice job of rewarding precise driving and knowing how a car reacts without bogging the game down in simulation. 

Personally I am waiting for Forza 3 or Gran Turismo 5.  I would pick up PGR 4 again after watching from the sidelines and seeing if interest was genuine and sustained. 

I used to race PGR 4 with some guys that had an interesting league structure.  They would do four or five races in one night and mix up the events.  Some events were solo racing and some were team racing.  It would start with a solo race, followed by a team event, etc until the night was concluded.  All team events were based on current standings to try and balance it out. 

It was fun, it usually ended up being pretty balanced on the final scoreboards, and even guys that weren't exceptional at the game enjoyed themselves, especially in the team racing events.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-27-2009 at 10:02am
Slumber, that's when I returned my Gamefly'd copy as well, way back when.  In the Feb 6 update though, they are finally adding a 'restart' option, so you can tackle the remaining challenges (like the car-specific burning routes) without all the constant driving to retry.

I agree with you completely, though, that at that point the 1P was more work than fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>