Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K9 Patch #2 Announced
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K9 Patch #2 Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K9 Patch #2 Announced
    Posted: 05-22-2009 at 1:47pm
That's interesting. I have the fielders (CPU and my own) set to 65. I may lower it to 35 and see how that plays.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2009 at 10:07am
I'm loving this game even more now that I lowered the fielder speed to 35 for me and 30 for the CPU. I don't think I've played any other Xbox 360 game more than I've played MLB 2K9. 
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2009 at 8:23am
Originally posted by TedSGN

I don't have the skill to use cursor batting.

Yes it's tricky... I have the pitch speed to 50 while I'm playing around with it, which looks rather slow but because you've got a make a real judgment about placement, I'm still behind on lots of pitches.  But then again I've got this theory that 2K baseball is always "designed" with everything at 50 as a baseline, and then they start moving sliders around in order to create difficulty levels, and a bit haphazardly at that.  So I've got everything set to 50 except for things like pitch meter, gesture recognition, and throw meter influence and a couple others (all set to 100, to emphasize user influence over those aspects) and CPU throw strikes tendency all the way down to 0.

What I like about the strangely named 'zone' hitting is that it doesn't feel canned.  Granted, I haven't had a ton of time with it, but the results in replays look totally convincing with regards to timing, contact, and where the ball ends up.  It's just nice and cut and dried as opposed to The Show, where the mysterious Plate Coverage Indicator lords over contact like a fickle monarch.  My hope is that they're doing a straight up physics drill in 2K9's batting, and that it continues to be an option.

As for fielders, mine are set to 50, of course, which is fine except I see a ton of shallow knocks dropping in for hits in the outfield, which would be fine except my fielders look like they're moving at half speed when going for them.  But the real problem seems to be that they're playing WAY too deep.  I know I can rectify that manually during at-bats, but is there a command to have them play in for the entire game?  I'd rather be going back on balls then coming in on them in this game.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2009 at 9:51am
That is the drawback of slowing down the fielders, but I find it much more enjoyable than nothing getting through the infield on the ground and every single drive that is sure to be extra bases being stolen with a miraculous at the ankles catch.  It's a trade off I guess.

I agree that the outfield seems to play deep on every batter, but I don't know of a way to make them permanently come in except doing it batter by batter.  And this doesn't change the CPU playing deep all the time either.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2009 at 12:05pm
Ted, what number did you finally settle on for fielder speed? I'm at 35 and having much higher scoring games because more shots are falling in the outfield (which I'm happy about).
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2009 at 6:14pm
I think 30 is the magic number for my play style.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456