Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: UFC 2009 Undisputed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUFC 2009 Undisputed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UFC 2009 Undisputed
    Posted: 05-22-2009 at 11:15am
Sweet Jared.  I can't wait.
Jaredpk2000 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaredpk2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 1:48pm
Good fights today Ted.  I look forward to doing it again soon.  I've played quite a bit online after the first day.  The lag is pretty much non-existent now.  If your interested in the game Jason, I wouldn't be worried about picking it up because of lag issues.  
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 1:56pm
You too, Jared.  I need to get my ground game under control or I'm never going to give you a challenge.  I only really saw any lag in our very first fight and it either went away or I got used to it real quick. It was just a minor bit of slowdown at worst.

There is so much variety to the fights and fighters.  It's pretty fun and challenging.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 2:10pm
I got knocked out in :08 seconds on experienced (2nd lowest difficulty).  Boetsch threw one punch, his first punch, on the button and I went out.  This kind of thing is what makes this arguably the best fighting game every made.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 2:33pm
I think I finally realized why I find this game so superior to Fight Night.  I think FN has really come a long way and I like that series, but in UFC the camera is so superior.  In FN I never find a camera I like, just one I can live with.  In UFC the camera is so perfect I don't even realize it is there.  It pans and scans, zooms, and rotates all seamlessly and I never feel like I'm fighting against it.  The camera is perfect.
Jaredpk2000 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaredpk2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 5:36pm
My biggest gripe about Fight Night 3 was the control system.  Yes, it was pretty cool and worked well for playing against the cpu.  When I played the game online, everyone wanted to stand at max range and throw haymakers all day.  I got tired of fighting for five or six rounds, dodging, countering and parrying haymakers and then getting caught by one on accident and getting rocked from there.  It doesn't really seem like there is cheesy, agitating stuff like that in UFC Undisputed.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-24-2009 at 8:47pm
You guys are killing me...now I have add this to my already-crowded list of games to buy.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-25-2009 at 8:32am
Ted, did you buy UFC or rent it from Gamefly?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-25-2009 at 9:00am
I bought it.

Honestly, I only have two gripes with it. 

1.  The menu system is a nightmare.  That combined with the constant saving of the game and the fighter make navigating and doing things outside of the octagon a chore.

2.  I don't like that career fighters don't age.  They progress, but my 23 year old is still 23 4 years later.

It look like you can use your career fighters online which is a plus.

Training is much deeper than FN's strength, speed, cardio routine.  You have those three things to train, but you also have skills to train so you have to balance building up your fighters core attributes (speed, strength, cardio) with his skills in the different aspects of the fight like striking offense and defense, kicking offense and defense, takedown O & D, grapple up and down, submissions O&D, etc.  You do this by sparring with your sparring partner and depending on how well you do in your spar you earn so many points to apply to the skill.  As you increase in skill each skill point costs more sparring points to purchase (progressive system).  The third thing you do to improve is train with different schools.  So you go visit these schools and if you perform specific tasks during your 5 minute training session you earn points for them  When you get enough points you advance to the next level in that discipline (for example Judo).  At the next level you learn some new moves that were not available to you before.  You could press those buttons, but it wouldn't perform the level 2 move if you were only level one.  So you can take a BJJ fighter like Rua and he would have a larger tool set to use against someone than my created BJJ fighter.  Finally, you have to balance all of this against your weekly stamina that goes down different amounts based on what training you  did and the intensity.  So some weeks you rest to regain.  You regain 50% each week.  Some training takes as little as 12 or 15% away and intense training can take over 50%.  After each fight you immmediately schedule your next fight through Joe Silva, who schedules all cards.  Occasionally Dana or Joe will jump in early with an email asking you to fill in for a hurt or sick fighter and you will fight on short notice with maybe a lack of rest.  In other words, not 100%.  You can refuse these fights and sometimes I do.  It isn't clear if there is a penalty for refusing the fights.

Outside the octagon, the career is very deep and there is quite a bit to manage, but it isn't hard.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-26-2009 at 12:41pm
I knew the price of this game would go back up before I had a chance to buy it Angry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>