Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 07-29-2009 at 3:10pm
Two wins against Detroit have the Sox back at 10-15 and trying to creep back into things in the 2009 HH season.  Unfortunately, we have a family camping trip coming up which means no games for a while...I'll have to think of it as the All-Star Break since it's a 48-game season...
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-02-2009 at 4:53pm
The Mariners went in to the All Star break at 49-39 tied for 1st in the AL West with the Angels.  Smile

Here are some mid season stats I've posted at FSH

http://www.flightsimhangar.com/fsblog/?page_id=877

I am making a change to my sliders and slowing down my fielders from 35 to 25.  This will create more hits and lower my pitching stats somewhat as I feel they are too good for the quality of my staff right now.  I'm pretty happy with my batting stats so leaving that alone.  Gonna play out the remainder of the season with that change and hope to still make the playoffs.

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-04-2009 at 10:22am
8-4 now after taking two of three from the Brewers at home.  Was down 2-0 in my last game, unable to get anything going against Dave Bush.  Jorge Julio, on the other hand, was not a problem.  Scored three in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead.

Heading to St. Louis for three games.  Starting pitching's been good from everyone except Johan Santana, who's 0-3 with an ERA of six-point-something.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-04-2009 at 7:01pm
54-44, 0.5 back from the Angels.

I lost my start 13-6 with Felix Hernandez and we went on to lose 3 of 4 at Cleveland.  On to Detroit where I won my start with Garret Olson 7-1 and we swept the three game series.  Back home to face Cleveland and I lost my start 7-2 with Brendan Morrow and we lost 2 of 3.  Cleveland is the #1 team in MLB right now.

Next series is home vs Toronto and Felix Hernandez to start.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-04-2009 at 9:32pm
Ugh... got trampled 7-0 by the Cards.

Tired of Brian Schneider and his .150 batting average, I stole Victor Martinez from the Indians.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-05-2009 at 6:33pm
56-45.  We just took over 1st place in the AL west.  0.5 games ahead of the Angels.  It is now July 30 in the game.

We won 2 of 3 from the Blue Jays at home.  In my start Felix Hernandez gave up an early run and then settled down.  We got the run back and then Beltre hit a two run HR to put us up 3-0.  Felix got a little shaky with his control and gave up a two run inning that tied it up at 3 in the fourth inning.  Both the Mariners and the Jays traded a bunch of one or two hit innings, but we ended up going to the 10th inning when Beltre singled and Lopez doubled him home to give us the 4-3 win.

Hernandez ended up going 7.1, giving up 7 hits and 3 ER.  He struck out 6 and walked 3 and also hit one batsman. 

Cordero, our closer, ended up with the win.  Cordero had come in in the 9th inning when reliever Corcoran suffered a fractured metatarsal during Lyle Overbay's AB.

We get Washburn back after over two months on the DL which is nice because we just lost Corcoran for 60+.  We're due to get Aardsma back in about two weeks as well.  Cesar Jimenez and Garrett Olson filled in well for the missing Washburn who had been having a sub-par year prior to his injury.  I'll test him for a couple of starts and if I don't like what I see I'm going to stick with Olson in the 5th spot and put Washburn into LR or trade him.  I could use a left handed utility outfielder with speed so that may be the ticket.

On to Texas for four games and then KC for 3.  Then an extended home stand against the Rays, White Sox, and Yankees.

I honestly don't know the last baseball game I had this much fun with or held my attention so well.  Maybe all the way back to Tony LaRussa in the early 90's.  My favorite part of this version is how I've gelled with my team.  I really enjoy figuring out their strengths and weaknesses and seeing the journeymen types overcome and occasionally have pheonomenal nights.  I might even say that this would be the Sports GOY for me, at least single player.  The only challenger would be NHL 09 and that as multiplayer only.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-06-2009 at 8:26am
6-5 victory over the Cards, 9-5 record overall.  I like back and forth games.  Maine gave up two solo jacks in the bottom of the first, managed to settle down, but ended up giving up 5 runs in five and two-thirds innings before giving way to Parnell, Feliciano, Putz, and K-Rod to close it out.  Victor Martinez was unbelievable in his debut, with a home run, a double, a single, and four RBI's on the night.

I've really come back around on this game.  Letting it ride on All-Star difficulty is working well, low fielding camera is a lot of fun (everything looks like a cut-scene) and surprisingly turning off the commentary and focusing on the on-field sounds has been HUGE for my enjoyment.  Canned derision from ex-jocks can really wear on you.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-09-2009 at 1:48pm
57-48, 2.0 games back of Angels.  We dropped three of four to Texas. 

I lost my start 4-3.  We took an early 2-0 lead and then increased it to 3-0 in the fourth.  Carlos Silva was pretty strong through 4 innings, allowing no runs and just three hits.  His fifth inning was shaky and he gave up 3 more hits and a walk, but we were able to get out of a bases loaded jam without giving up any runs.

In the 6th inning he gave up a hit and a walk and then got a batter out.  He then gave up two more hits and the score was 3-2.  Cesar Jimenez (L) came in to relieve and face all those lefties in the Texas lineup.  Jimenez gave up a hit allowing the tying run to score before getting the next two outs.

In the seventh inning Texas added another run on lead off double and a later single to go ahead 4-2.  Our bats cooled off until the top of the 9th.  Gutierrez grounded out to start the inning.  Then Ichiro walked and Griffey Jr. pinch hit for Balentien, getting a single and moving Ichiro to second.  Branyan hit a deep out to center which moved Ichiro to third.

Beltre up, two outs, men on 1st and 3rd.  He was 0-4 on the day with 2 K's.  He grounded out to short to end the game.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-10-2009 at 4:05pm
Back from camping.  2 tough 1-run losses to Texas leaves us 10-17 and fading.  Tried to trade prospects for hitters, but nobody was biting and now the trading deadline has passed.  Need a winning streak to keep things interesting and give us a shot at our goal of a .500 season...
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-10-2009 at 7:34pm
Just lost to the Nats in the 18th inning (!) after being up 4-2 going into the ninth.  K-Rod gives up two, and then I go through a carousel of relievers including a valiant seven inning effort from Bobby Parnell who eventually gives up a run in the 18th.  We lose 5-4, and while we took two of three from the Nationals, hit a paltry .227 in the series.  In a long ball drought as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>