Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 21>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 08-28-2009 at 5:54pm
Good job, Eddie.  You'll be missed.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-30-2009 at 10:54pm
Slowdown shmowdown.  I can't resist.  It's like a good book and I want to keep turning the pages.

75-63, 3.5 games back of the Angels, 3.5 games up on the Twins and the Jays, and 6.0 up on the Yankees for the wild card.

I got shelled in my start against the Angels and we lost 11-3.  Fernandez was completely sub-par and everyone behind him was worse.  It was one of those games where you just keep throwing pitches and hoping someone hits it right at a guy.  The Angels got 19 hits and drew 6 walks against our staff and looked unbeatable.  Miraculously we took the second and third game of the series to close the gap to 2.5 games.

But the Angels must be red hot right now because even though we took 3 of 4 at Oakland to start the 10 game road trip we dropped back to 3.5 games behind.  I won my start on the strength (again) of Ryan Feieraband who went 6.1 innings and gave up 4 hits and 1 ER while striking out 1 and walking 1.  In the bottom of the seventh with one out Giambi hit a triple.  I intentionally walked the next batter and called in Cesar Jimenez to face the next two batters (lefties) and struck out the first and then gave up a hit that scored Giambi and tied the game.  He then threw two pitches and pulled up injured with a fractured finger (aaarrgghhh).  I pulled him for Aardsma and got the third out.  We didn't do anything in the top of the eighth and Aardsma was rock solid in the bottom.  We went into the top of the 9th tied and proceeded to knock the crap out of Ziegler and score 4 runs.  In our half Aardsma got two outs and then gave up a hit, a walk, and another hit to load the bases.  Aardsma was gassed and I brought in Cordero to wrap it up.  He K'd the batter and we hit the showers.  5-1.

Jimenez is gone for the season and I recalled Mark Lowe from AAA Tacoma.

We're on the road to the Angels for three and Texas for three.  We also face both Toronto and New York before this is over so the wild card race is very tight indeed.

I just hope Eric Bedard recovers in time if we make the playoffs.  We're going to need him because both the Angels and the Indians hitters are a nightmare to face.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-01-2009 at 3:39pm
Wow, seems like you've had a LOT of injury problems!!

OK, another High Heat Red Sox icon is no longer.  We acquired Aubrey Huff from Tampa for Josh Beckett following the 2003 season (the first in the franchise) when it was apparent we needed more hitting.  He was the rock of our offense for many seasons, however his power seemed like it had dipped a lot last season.  Finally, with a poor start for Aubrey at the plate this season, our addition of Mike Sweeney at 1B/DH (who is hitting quite well so far) and our starting pitching getting clubbed, he's been dealt to the Cubs for two starting pitchers who can hopefully contribute.

Again, the stats (48-game seasons):

AB    Avg. HR RBI
2004    186  .371  17  45
2005    194  .325   8   28
2006    192  .271  11  37
2007    192  .271   5   27
2008    188  .324  11  36
2009    183  .273   3   23
2010      44  .157   1    2 (through 10 games)

As for the team: We won 1 of 3 against division champ Yankees, got a big 6-4 win against World Champion Cleveland in Extra Innings, then split the first two against Tampa.  From there, we've lost 4 straight -- a 4-3 heartbreaker to Tampa in 10-innings, then 3 horrible blowouts in a row -- 6-2 and 19-6 against Oakland (yes, 19), then 8-0 against Cleveland where our starting pitching lost the game badly in the first inning all three times.

Two of the blowouts came against guys who were blown out their last starts as well, so they are now removed from the rotation for the 2 newcomers.  The third came against Lafayette Pierce who was spot-starting for the injured Stan Sheridan.  On the plus side, Sean Chacon has been awesome so far and top rookie Bobby Crouch looks promising.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-03-2009 at 11:56pm
79-68, 4.5 games back of the Angels and 2.0 games ahead of the Yankees for the wild card.

I got a great start from Carlos Silva and a 5-0 win against the Angels.  Unfortunately, Silva left the game with a tightening arm in the 9th and now the doctors have confirmed he will miss the rest of the season with an elbow problem.  This one was completely my fault as I pushed him too far in an effort to get him a shutout on the stat sheet.  We lost the next two to the Angels.

We dropped three straight in Texas.  My start was a 9-3 loss in which Felix Hernandez again looked poor early and we never got into a rhythm.

We returned home to make a three game sweep of the White Sox.  My start with Ryan Feieraband was average and I pulled him after 5 2/3 innings.  He gave up 8 hits and 3 ER, striking out 5.  Aardsma took over and was solid, giving up 5 hits in 3.1 innings and 1R unearned.  We were down 3-1 and scratched our way back into the game tying it at 4-4 despite 3 errors on defense.  In the bottom of the 9th, the leadoff hitter Franklin Gutierrez got a single, followed by a single from Griffey Jr. that was mishandled on the pickup and both runners advanced.  Beltre came up with 0 outs and runners at 2nd and 3rd and drove and inside fastball down the left field line to score Gutierrez and end the game.  5-4.

Next up.....the Yankees!  Maybe we can put some distance between us in the wild card and make up some ground on those super consistent Angels.  And Bedard should return for the Series against Toronto after that.  Fingers crossed.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-04-2009 at 8:19pm
81-69, 3.0 games back of the Angels and 1.0 games ahead of the Twins for the wild card.

I won my start with yet another rookie brought up to help shore up the pitching casualties.  Randy Kline was solid in 6 innings of work, allowing only 4 hits and 0 runs while striking out 3.  We really held the Yankees in check.  Aardsma got the hold and Cordero the save in a combined shutout win 2-0.  Catcher Jeff Clement had his 26 game hitting streak come to an end after going 0 for 3.  Ichiro currently has a 15 game hitting streak going and leads the AL with 199 hits.  I gave Griffey Jr. the night off as his stamina was down to 60% again, but I told him to be ready in case we needed some offense in later innings.

We won the second game and lost the third.

I have four starts remaining.  We go on the road to face the Rays for two, Toronto for four.  Then we wrap it up at home with three game series each against Oakland and Texas.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-07-2009 at 4:53pm
We dropped both games in Tampa.  My start was a 8-6 loss.  Tampa jumped out to an 8-1 lead and we were able to scratch out some offense including a three run rally in the top of the ninth, but it was too little too late.

We traveled to Toronto and our offense exploded in my start which we won 23-3.  It was unbelievable.  We absolute dismantled their pitching and complete crushed them.  Unfortunately Ichiro was injured sliding when he attempted to go from first to third on a single.  He was safe, but he tore some cartiledge in his knee and left the game.  The trainers informed us that would be the end of his season.  We ended up splitting the four games series at 2-2.  I called up Endy Chavez to replace the missing Ichiro.

The final six games were played at home, the first a three game series against Oakland.  My start was a disappointing 2-1 loss where we blew some opportunities to win the game including a missed tag at home plate that would have kept the score tied and ended the inning, and an over run at third by Bryan LaHair that probably cost us a run that could have won the game.  This loss (or Ichiro's injury) might have been the nail in the coffin of our playoff hopes.  We ended up being swept by Oakland.

We took on Texas for the final three games and needed to win all three (and the Yankees need to lose all three of their final games) to have a chance at the wild card.  I won my start in a squeaker, 6-5 that saw the final out in the game come with the bases loaded in the 9th.  We lost the second game and won the third and missed the playoffs.

Our final season record was 85-77.  We finished 3.0 games behind the Angels and 2.0 games behind the Yankees for the wild card.  Toronto was also 85-77 and 2.0 games behind the Yankees for the wild card.  It was a very tight and very fun race this season.

The Angels, Rays, Indians, and Yankees represented the AL in the playoffs and the Angels ended up winning the World Series, defeating the Cardinals in 6 games.

On to the off season.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2009 at 2:40pm
Great season, sorry you missed the WC.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-08-2009 at 11:45pm
Thanks, Mike.  It was tremendous fun.  I made some moves in the off season.  I'll try to post them when I collect my notes.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2009 at 3:51pm
We're at 6-10 in 2010.  The post-Aubrey-Huff new pitching rotation has been beyond-awesome so far, but the offense is still hot and cold, we've had quite a few games with 1 or 0 runs scored.  We've also played a lot of tough teams already, so hopefully we can put a run together soon.

Also, less time to play lately with work deadlines and college football shows on...but still playing whenever time permits...
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-27-2009 at 11:34pm
26-22, in first place, 1.5 games ahead of the Braves.  Been a streaky season so far, with two six-game losing streaks already and a six-game winning streak in between 'em.  Got murdered in Boston and am now trying to fatten up on the Nationals and Marlins, though the Nationals were uncooperative, taking two of three in our own stadium.  Just took the first of three against the Marlins, with Jose Reyes hitting one up into the Pepsi Porch in the bottom of the 12th for the 2-0 walk-off win.

Despite being in the first place, the Mets' roster has undergone significant revision due to the tragic real-life season and my ensuing discomfort with certain members of the squad (ahem... Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo, Gary Sheffield, John Maine, J.J. Putz and Livan Hernandez all somehow finding takers).

Season's definitely moving slowly.  Trying to cherry-pick matchups that I want to play, and managing the rest in Sportscast mode.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 21>