Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 11-10-2009 at 5:16pm
My 2009 Mets fell to the Red Sox in the World Series 3 games to 2, punctuated by a 14-5 drubbing in game three.  Yeowch!

Because of the good showing my budget for 2010 got upped by 9% to a whopping 191 million (for the whole organization, that is), so I basically became the NL Yankees in the off-season.  Let John Lester walk, signed John Lackey to be my #2 starter, Matt Holliday to play left field, Freddy Sanchez to play second, and retained the services of Victor Martinez behind the plate.

My rotation going into 2010 is:

J. Santana
J. Lackey
S. Kazmir
H. Kuroda
M. Pelfrey

And my lineup:

SS J. Reyes
2B F. Sanchez
3B D. Wright
LF M. Holliday
CF C. Beltran
C V. Martinez
1B C. Delgado
RF J. Franceour

And we still have started off the 2010 season 0-2, dropping two to the Phillies.  Lackey pitched great in game two, losing 1-0 even though we outhit them, but game one did not go well for Johan.  For some reason I just do not pitch well with him.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2009 at 8:55pm
Do you play a 5 game WS? 

Sorry you didn't take the whole prize, Seth.  Good luck in '10.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2009 at 12:09am
Oops!  4 games to 2.  I typed that up real late last night.  

I have a feeling I'm not going to get as far in 2010, but we'll see.  Portions of '09 were simmed on All-Star difficulty, and while I'm not sure I feel like difficulty level affects sim success as well.  If I keep it on Hall of Fame (one up from All-Star) like I plan to, .500 might be a more realistic goal.  It's tricky!  All-Star just isn't as fun to play on a pitch-by-pitch basis... not much danger to it.

Matt Holliday seems huge in this game.  Like, he just fills up the screen in a way most batters don't, with the exception of Carlos Delgado perhaps.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2009 at 4:57pm
Congrats on the NL title.  I want to get back to High Heat, but think it won't happen until college football winds down at least...probably after New Years...
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2009 at 10:13pm
Down 2-0 in game three of my opening series against the rival Phils, Scott Kazmir is wild, hits three batters and is ejected in the third inning, demoralizing sweep looming.  Then Brian Stokes and Bobby Parnell combine for 6-1/2 innings of shutout ball, the offense wakes up and we win 8-2, the big blow being a three-run pinch-hit double for long in the tooth Jim Edmonds.  Baseball is funny like that.

1-2 so far.  I really want to see if I can play every inning of the 2010 season myself, no matter how long it takes.  I'm way more into my second season than I thought I would be, but I guess putting your stamp on things via off-season moves, and living out some possible future for your favorite team goes a long way.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-18-2009 at 10:44pm
4-3 so far in the young 2010 campaign.  Lackey picked up his first win going up against the excellent Josh Johnson and the Marlins, who had us no-hit through six and two-thirds before Delgado reached on an error, Franceour hit a double off the wall, and then Jim Edmonds hit for the pitcher and deposited a two-out pinch-hit home run just onto the tarp in Landshark Stadium's center field.  Edmonds has two at-bats this season, both pinch-hit appearances, and 6 RBI's to show for it.  Matt Holliday pushed the lead to 4-0 with his first home run of the season, and monster shot into the second deck.  I loved watching him pose!
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-23-2009 at 3:47am
42-46 at the All Star break.  We're in last place in the AL west, 6.5 games behind the 1st place Angels.  Everyone except us in the west has a winning record.

Hitting is fine and HR's are up from last year, but we're still 12th in the AL in that department.  Beltre, Thames, and Clement are all tied with 13 for the team lead.  Balentien hit some last year, but has 0 so far this year.  I think I'll trade him for a LH LF if I find a taker.  Such a great year last year too so this is disappointing.  LaHair continues to blossom and has 9 HR's with a decent average.  He lead the team earlier in the season.

Our bullpen is doing well with a 4.34 ERA, but Isringhausen isn't quite what I hoped for.  He's not killing us, but he's not shutting them down either.

Felix Hernandez has a disappointing (for a #1) 9-8 record.  Bedard and Morrow are sucking gas at 5-10 and 3-6 respectively.  Bedard started the season 3-0 so you can really see how far he has fallen.  Morrow is so inconsistent and is gone by the 3rd inning in a lot of games.  Sanchez and Davies on the other hand have been great pickups for the #4 and 5 starters.  Both have winning records and are probably the reason we're at least stalking this season.

Need to get on a hot streak.  Every time I win 2 or 3 in a row we lose 3 in a row.  At one point we dropped 6 in a row.  It's not to late to make a move, but we need to do it now.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-29-2009 at 8:00pm
I'm hoping I don't have a corrupt save.  My game has frozen mid-game vs Baltimore twice now.  I'm going to give it one more try and if it does it again I'm going to quit out of the saved game to the schedule and restart the game.  If that fails I'll try simming through the BAL series.  If that fails I'll try restoring my backup save from a few series ago.

Really want it to be ok because I dig this franchise and don't want to lose it.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-25-2010 at 4:12pm
With college football done, and my wife starting to do a lot of cat stuff again, I FINALLY picked up the High Heat franchise last night mid-2010 season (having started in 2003).

Got a win against the Yankees, then blown out by Seattle.  8-11, 3 GB in the East, but the young starting rotation looks REALLY promising.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-28-2010 at 4:30pm
Split two more last night, 3 GB in the East behind Toronto and Baltimore.  Next five games are against those two teams, so if we do well we'll actually be in the race for the second-half of the season for only the second time in the career mode.

I'm really struggling with what to do about Sean Casey.  He was a great hitter for me for three seasons, with power for two of them.  But he lost his power last season, and now this season he's hitting about .130 with no extra-base hits through 20-odd games.  He's my DH and number 5 hitter on a weak offense, but he's clearly old (he's retired already and on MLB-network as a commentator in real life, and my career mode is in 2010) and losing it.

The problem is I have nobody on the bench who looks much better, and my Minor League options are either not ready yet (top prospects) or stop-gap solutions at best who may not be any better than Casey.  I have a surplus of good young pitching right now, and my pitching has been awesome of late, but I'm nervous about trading a pitcher for a hitter that may not be an impact player since things inevitably will go south for the pitchers in future and I'll want the depth then.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>