Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 21>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 02-03-2010 at 4:40pm
Played the two key series.

At Toronto: Lost 7-4, won 12-8, lost 7-3.  First time all year our pitching was not so good, but at least the hitting came around.

At Baltimore, desperately needing a two game sweep: Got a phenomenal 1-0 win where each team managed 6 hits, all singles.  Followed it up with a 3-1 win.  Great intense pitchers duels.

OK, Toronto leads the East at 14-11.  Baltimore and New York are each 12-12.  Us and Tampa are 11-14.  We're playing pretty well and are still in it, more than halfway through the season.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-03-2010 at 6:28pm
45-50 and last in the AL West.  7.5 back of the tied front runners Texas and L.A.  3.5 back of Oakland.  We look pretty good on paper, but we aren't coming through in the clutch.

Best pitcher is Eric Bedard with a 3.43 ERA and almost a K per inning.  His record is 6-13 which tells me he isn't getting the run support.

King Felix has a 4.53 ERA and a 12-8 record.  He has improved from the beginning of the season.  Brandon Morrow is really struggling this year.

Our two pickups in the rotation have done great in the four and five spots.  Kyle Davies has an incredible 8-3 record as the #5 man, with a mid 4's ERA.  Anibal Sanchez has a plus .500 record as the #4.

HR's are way down.  I have three tied at 13 each and we haven't hit some for a long while.  I'm hoping they get at least 20 apiece.

We just swept Baltimore at home so hopefully we can put some nice streaks together for the home back half.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-04-2010 at 4:13pm
2 game series at Detroit: Crushed them 10-3 behind Shawn Chacon when Joe Thurston (my awesome 2B) had an amazing 6 RBIs.  Then won the second in dramatic fashion, 4-3 in 11 innings; it looked like a sure 3-1 loss, but Mike Sweeney hit a 2R-HR in the 8th to send it to extras.

13-14, 2GB of Toronto in the East.  Also 2GB of Chicago in the Wild Card standings.

HUGE homestand coming up next with 3 AL East opponents, KC (tops in AL Central), and Anaheim (tops in AL West).  No idea if we'll finally make the playoffs this season, but the pitching is good enough for it to be a real possibility.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-06-2010 at 8:47am
I can't wait to start my virtual franchise. I'm going to wait three weeks to see if I'm going to do this with MLB 2K10 or stick with MLB 2K9.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-06-2010 at 2:02pm
I'll be finishing this season and then looking at MLB2k10.  If I like it I'll move on.  If I don't I'll probably move over to 2k9 on the PC permanently.  It plays the same, but looks even better than the 360 version.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-11-2010 at 5:00pm
2 big games against Tampa last night.

First one: Pete Santiago has been our only less-than-stellar starter of late, and he pitched himself right out of the rotation with this one.  Our 4-game win streak was quickly history with a 10-4 blowout loss.

Second one: Jose Loftus has been our top pitcher this year, and one of the top in the AL.  He pitched a masterful 7 2/3 innings giving up 3 hits -- all singles, and Mike Sweeney hit a big 3-run homer leading us to a 6-1 win.  This snapped Tampa's 4-game win streak, and kept us tied with them in the standings.

We're now 14-15, 2 GB in the jumbled East.  Also only 2 GB in the wild card race.

19 games to go.  The next 2 are against KC, the top team in the AL, followed by 5 huge games against co-division leaders Toronto and Baltimore.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-13-2010 at 2:50pm
45-51 7.0 back from Texas and last in the west.

We took 2 of 3 from Toronto with a 4-0 win in my start.  Brandon Morrow was excellent with a 7 inning shutout going when he left the game at the top of the 8th with a back injury.  Roy Corcoran came in and finished up the game with a good performance only giving up two hits in two innings.  Post game information shows Morrow has a herniated disc and out for at least 21 days.  He's on the DL and I pulled up Carlos Silva from AAA Tacoma to cover.

We face first place Texas at home next.  Trade deadline is this week so I might make some moves.  Josh Willingham cemented his place as the starting left fielder with a great performance in the field against Toronto with a handful of running catches and one at the ankles.  I'll be shopping Balentien and possibly Russel Branyan for some left handed power, but I'm not very hopeful.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-13-2010 at 3:41pm
Pulled the trigger on a trade.

I sent Yuniesky Betancourt, Russel Branyan, and Wladimir Balentien to Washington in exchange for Adam Dunn and Alex Cintron.

We took on about 5 million in salary and the ratings exchange looked like this....77,75,71 for 86,68.

Dunn has incredible power ratings and I'm hoping he'll make an immediate impact on offense.  He'll start at 1B which is his secondary position, but he's  a better first baseman than Thames is a left fielder.  Thames will stay at DH.  LaHair will go back to the bench and be used in late games for defense and pinch hitting.

I gave up all bench players for Dunn, although Betancourt and Balentien can easily start most anywhere in the league.  The just didn't fit my defense first team makeup.  Cintron will replace Betancourt on the bench.  He's not as good a hitter, but will provide solid defense when Cedeno or Lopez need rests at SS and 2B.

I also brought up Cory Patterson from AAA Tacoma to replace Branyan's left hand bat.  Patterson brings a speed boost for pinch running situations and a solid glove to rest Willingham, Ichiro, and Gutierrez.

I lost 10 rating points of defense and average at 1st base only and gained at least 30 points of power in every day play.  I lost some bench average at the plate, but gained a little speed.

Fingers crossed it was a good move and we can make a push because it is now or never.  We have 64 games to make up a 7 game deficit.

Dunn is in the final year of an 8.0 mil contract, but has hit 10 homers in limited duty.  I also hope he is looking to sign a new contract.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-15-2010 at 4:54pm
It's an awesome feeling when you pull the trigger on a big/risky trade, I hope your next 5 games produce good results.

In the HH world, I played the key 2-game series against AL-leader KC last night.

The first game was fantastic, had real urgency and intensity the whole game, felt like what I assume a key playoff game would feel like if I ever made it. 

Doug Davis is our fifth starter, and he's having an incredible season -- but every game he gets into so much trouble and somehow gets out of it.  Anyway, he was in trouble with singles and walks every inning, but mostly got out of it.  In the 5th KC took a 2-1 lead, but Larry Henderson (our powerful 3rd baseman) homered to tie it at 2-2.

A tiring Davis left the bases loaded in the top of the 7th.  I needed him to stay in if possible because KC has a run of 4 consecutive good-hitting lefties that were due up in the 8th.  Then in the last of the seventh, Rafael Stanton (our new DH) homered, and we then finessed another run to take a 4-2 lead.  It felt like the winning rally since it had been such a struggle for either team to score.

In the 8th though, Davis was chased.  Scott Stewart got an out, as did Scot Shields.  But with 1 on and 2 out, KC managed 3 hits in a row to tie it again at 4.  I was really amazed and disappointed.

In the 9th their cleanup hitter then delivered a 2-run bomb to make it 6-4.  I was really bummed, I couldn't believe we were going to lose it.

Then in the last of the 9th we loaded the bases with nobody out.  A sac fly made it 6-5, runners still on first and second, one out.  Joe Thurston our great 2B then hit a hard ground ball that was a possible DP to third base.  They tagged third for one, but the runner beat the DP throw by an INCH to keep it alive.  Still first and second, now two out, Carl Crawford (who's been hot lately) at the plate.  He went down 0-2, then fought back to 3-2 with a ton of fouls.  But a swing-and-a-miss ended it, so the Royals held on 6-5.

The second game we were in a bad hangover from the first.  Back-to-back homers -- one by Bernie Williams who is STILL a part-time player in HH in 2010 -- staked KC to a 4-1 lead, and our late-game rally couldn't pull it out, KC won it 6-4.

So with the disappointing outcome we're now 14-17, 3.5 GB in the East, and about the same in the WildCard race, with 17 games still to go.  The good news is that our next 5 games are against Toronto and Baltimore -- the top two teams in the division -- so we can still stay in it if we have a good run.  KC has a GREAT lineup, I feel like we match up better with Toronto and especially Baltimore, so we'll see how it goes...

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-15-2010 at 10:57pm
Good read, sorry about the outcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 21>