Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 05-08-2009 at 3:48pm
Fascinating.  Funny you mention Peavy, he's the third starter I couldn't remember.  Maybe I'll find room for Drew in the starting lineup if he's so solid... does he play anything other than outfield?
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2009 at 4:04pm
I don't know Drew's position familiarity offhand.  In our league he usually bats sixth for Toronto and plays RF.

Some guys definitely played different positions then than now.  For example, Pujols plays LF for the Yanks in the league, and Nomar plays SS for Cleveland...

If you open up the player stats (I think it's Square button on PS2,  X button on XBox) you can go right a screen or two and see the position familiarities.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2009 at 4:15pm
High Heat... fun stuff.  The pitches seemed so slow because of the default 'zoom' camera.  Changed to low, it's much more normal.  Ted, if you get this working, I recommend 'low' batting cam, turning off the 'action' fielding camera (it's disorienting) and enabling vibration, since any sense of oomph is hard to come by when making contact.

Game one with my Pirates, was down 4-3 in the 9th at Cincinnati when Mike Lowell sent one into the stands with a man on base for an unexpected win.

Game two, Santana puts forth a great effort, leaving after the 7th with a 2-1 lead on the strength of two solo shots by Beltran and Ichiro, then John Franco (remember him?) craps the bed in a setup role, and we lose 5-2.  Yeowch.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 9:49am
I need to take a break from The Show for a couple days.  Something Web has alluded to... I feel like there are shifting variables and conditions put in place to ensure "variety" and mimick the streakiness of real-life baseball, all the while making me feel like I have very little effect on the outcome.  It's more like playing the game so that it can reveal to me over the course of nine innings what kind of game it has decided I'm going to have.

Maybe it's just a phase, but I'm having more fun playing through Lost & The Damned right now (GTA).
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 10:33am
MLB 2k9 FTW?
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 10:39am
No I hate that game too. Smile

Seriously, All-Star in that game, I feel like I can hit at will, Legend is too hard, and don't get me started on the CPU throwing only strikes.  What do you do with the sliders in that game, turn the CPU Throw Strikes slider all the way down to 0?  It's confusing how it can be at 35 to start with and 9 out of 10 pitches is in the (already enormous) strike zone.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 3:14pm
Got in four games late last night in my season...

Final game against Tampa Bay: Nick Neugebauer my fifth starter had 2 great starts so far.  Not this time.  A-Rod homered and Tampa won it 10-6 and it was never close.

First of three against Baltimore (last year's AL East Champs): Tim Hudson was not sharp, and gave up 6 runs in 5 innings.  I tried out a few call-ups in the bullpen and it got completely out of hand.  Luis Brown (their fictional #1 starter) scattered 8 hits and we had by far our worst loss in our 5-season franchise, 16-0.

At this point, I seriously considered tuning the game down a bit, as our pitching has inexplicably been getting absolutely rocked lately.  But I decided to stick with it for at least one more game, and...

Second of three against Baltimore: Mark Mulder, our ace right now, was once again fantastic and just shut Baltimore down.  We had no hits for four innings, but managed 4 in the fifth and scored 2 runs.  Mulder had shut them out for 8 innings on 4 hits, but was tiring in the 9th.  They managed three hits and a run.  Colby Lewis came in to get Richie Sexson on a key foul out, followed by a pop fly from Miguel Olivo to get the save.  Sox 2, O's 1.  Mulder is now 3-1 with an ERA in around 2.30.

Final game against Baltimore: Adam Eaton pitching.  Last season he was really good, but so far this season he's been battered in all three starts.  If he pitches bad in this one, he's out of the rotation.  It looked bleak after the second batter homered to make it 2-0 early, but then he was really strong.  We finally came to life offensively, and blew it open in the late innings.  Eaton pitched into the seventh, Will Cordero hit 2 HR (his first of the year), and we won it in a laugher, 12-3.

So now we're 6-12, still 6 GB in the East.  We're doing OK after the poor 2-8 start, but we still need a nice run to get back toward .500.  The next two games are against the White Sox (who have a worse record than us), then three with the Yanks who lead the AL East.  That'll take us about to the halfway point of the season.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Slumberland

No I hate that game too. Smile

Seriously, All-Star in that game, I feel like I can hit at will, Legend is too hard, and don't get me started on the CPU throwing only strikes.  What do you do with the sliders in that game, turn the CPU Throw Strikes slider all the way down to 0?  It's confusing how it can be at 35 to start with and 9 out of 10 pitches is in the (already enormous) strike zone.

Baseball must be hard for developers because there must be such a vast range of skill levels of people that play their game.

I use these sliders  http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2k-sports-major-league-baseball-sliders/306470-fun-mlb-2k9-sliders.html   with the only changes being  Human and CPU fielder speed down to 50 from 60 and Human and CPU baserunning speed up to 60 from 50.  Also, I think the camera settings are important with these sliders, especially pitching because from far back it is hard to pin point your aim since the ball aim icon is larger than the catchers glove at this distance.  If you move the camera up when batting it might actually make batting harder since being farther away seems to give me more time to react and I find it easier to differentiate balls and strikes.

I'm probably not anywhere near as good a hitter as you and Web so this might be too easy for you guys.  I actually see about the same amount of pitches from the CPU as he sees from me and I always pitch it where the catcher calls for it even if it means walking in a run or pitching it right down main street for a power hitter.  I get and give about two walks per game and strikes to balls ratios are around 2:1 on average with most games seeing a relatively low 100 to 120 pitches on both sides.

FWIW

Oh and so as not to completely get off topic, my Mariners have struggled a bit late and have dropped to second place in the AL West with a 22-20 record.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2009 at 9:26pm
I may have to give those sliders a try because the ONLY thing bothering me with 2K9 is the outfield play - every other aspect of this game is so much fun, including the infield play. My issue is not with EVERY fly ball to the outfield - it seems like it's just the ones that I don't have to run for.

What I find myself doing is playing my own type of mini-game in the fielding practice option - I play one hundred total pitches and try to get the best hit-to-out ration I can. So far I've held the batter to 30 hits and 70 outs twice.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-12-2009 at 10:20am
"Baseball must be hard for developers because there must be such a vast range of skill levels of people that play their game."

Absolutely... plus people want to see results within a certain range of believability, all the while feeling like they are in control of their own destiny.  It's a tough proposition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>