Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVirtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Baseball Season/Franchise Updates
    Posted: 05-12-2009 at 3:00pm
"Absolutely... plus people want to see results within a certain range of believability, all the while feeling like they are in control of their own destiny.  It's a tough proposition."

That's what the skill levels and sliders are supposed to be for -- and then people complain that the game isn't tuned right and that the developers use sliders as a crutch!! :-)

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-13-2009 at 1:24am
Mariners drop to 22-23, getting swept by the Giants at home.  My game was Eric Bedard vs. coverboy Lincecum who was a friggin unhittable robot.  I lost 6-1 and scored the one run in the bottom of the 9th off an Ichiro single, a hit and run Betancourt single, and a Griffey sac fly.  We had 5 hits to their 16, 6 strikeouts on each side, and 1 BB on each side.

I'm in a real hitting slump right now.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-15-2009 at 3:22pm
Will be taking two weeks off from work, and probably off-line most or all of that time -- so no updates on my franchise for a while.  May play a few games if time permits though.

Hope to see updates on your seasons when I get back!!
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-18-2009 at 3:18am
OK, played a bunch of games tonight and it was amazing enough that I'm posting from home for the first time... :-)

2-game-set against Chicago White Sox (whose record is similar to ours).

First game: Brad Penny pitched very well and we got lots of singles, but we couldn't string them together and showed no power, and we trailed 4-1 entering the 9th.  Their closer couldn't do much though, and suddenly we had an unexpected rally.  We got it to 4-3 with 2 on and 2 out...and Juan Pierre delivered a pinch hit to tie it up!  Carl Crawford followed with another hit to win it!  4 runs in the 9th, and a 5-4 walk-off win!  This was maybe our third-ever big 9th inning rally in the 4.5 seasons I've played so far, just so unexpected and gratifying.  It also meant a 3-game winning streak for us!

Second game: Riding the momentum of the win, Nick Neugebauer pitched great.  Unfortunately we again couldn't get the key hit, and we were shut out, 3-0.

Next: 3-game-set against the division-leading Yankees.  They have three great RH power hitters in Pujols, Jeff Kent, and Marty Rice (fictional but good), and the top pitching stats in the AL thus far.  I felt like we needed 2 out of 3 to feel like we were back in the race.

First game: Tim Hudson was not sharp, giving up single runs in the first three innings, but he was gritty and kept us in it, as did the bullpen.  Mark Buehrle was phenomenal for New York, at one point retiring 18 straight batters.  It was the closest thing I've seen to being no-hit in High Heat, ever.  I had only 2 singles through 8 innings.  Regardless, it remained 3-0 entering the 9th.  Carl Crawford was hit by a pitch, and with 2 out Carlos Beltran got our third hit of the game.  Aubrey Huff was up next, abd he's our top RBI guy, and I laughed to myself that all we needed was a homer -- remember that we hadn't scored for 17 straight innings since our great rally.  Lo and behold he pounded one into the bullpen and it was 3-3!!  I was freaking out!   Unfortunately, we couldn't finish it off.  In the 11th, two errors and a great bunt by New York led to two runs, and we lost it 5-3.  I just couldn't believe that we tied it but still lost.

Second game: Two of the top pitchers in the AL, Mark Mulder (3-1) vs. Dannys Baez (3-0), so I expected another low-scoring game, and that's what it was.  I decided that if we weren't hitting for power, we were going to play for single runs using our speed.  Both pitchers were outstanding.  We played great fundimental baseball, and got a run on a Huff sac fly in the third.  Both pitchers got into jams, but worked their way out.  New York finally broke through in the 7th, and it was 1-1.  In the last of the 7th we eeked out another run on a walk, a balk, and a Carl Crawford base hit to lead 2-1.  Both teams were into their bullpens.  We survived an error in the top of the 8th, then got another sac fly in the bottom half to make it 3-1.  Colby Lewis saved it for an intense win.  This snapped an 8-game win streak for New York.

Third game: Our hitting finally came to life early with 3 doubles and a triple, and a 4-1 lead after 4 behind Adam Eaton.  I figured with how our pitching had been shutting people down lately, we were on our way.  Suddenly it all turned around.  Their bullpen was fantastic, and David Segui (of all people) hit two 2-R homers as the Yanks exploded against Eaton and the bullpen for a 10-4 win.  Eaton has now had 4 bad starts out of 5 tries, and is being demoted out of the rotation for now.  After giving up only 5 HR all last year in 10 starts, he has given up an amazing 15 this season through 5 starts.

So we are now 8-15, and 8.5 games back of the Yankees.  Remember that we started 2-8, so we're just 1 game under .500 since, but what really hurts is that New York has won 10 of 11 and opened up a big lead on the rest of the division.  We now have a 2-game set in Cleveland (pretty good), and follow that with a short homstand against Oakland (bad) and KC (ok).

I may play a bit tomorrow time permitting, but really am going on vacation after that for over a week.  Will play and post again eventually, and look forward to catching up on others' seasons.

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2009 at 6:55pm
I'm doing my best impersonation of the '62 Mets so far in my post-patch, restarted season (on Legend after all... I just can't resist).  A record of 2-8 in my first ten games, hallmarked by a surprisingly ineffective Santana (0-2 with an ERA in the high 5's) and tons of runners left in scoring position.  

Game 10 really ran the gamut from promising, to infuriating, then back again.  Santana is pitching a shutout into the 5th despite control issues, then lets two on to start the inning.  Gets a ground ball right near third base, I figure I'll step on the bag and then throw to first for the double play, but Wright launches into this awkward tag animation with the runner approaching and misses him all together.  Bases loaded now with no outs, Santana somehow gives up a single to Jeff Suppan next, and everything goes to sh*t, including a David Wright over-throw of first base.  When the dust settles, it's a six run inning and I'm down 6-3.  Yeargh.

Hung in there anyway, scratched back for a couple, then gave up a home run, eventually went into the bottom of the ninth down 7-5.  Single by Daniel Murphy, pinch hitting for Ramon Castro because he is fat.  Alex Cora, the last man on the bench, hits for the pitcher Stokes and grounds one to Prince Fielder at first, who boots it into the air behind the bag... men on first and third, no outs.  Jose Reyes singles to center to get one back, so men on first and second.  Luis Castillo comes oh so close to hitting one down the right field line, but it's just a bit too low and Fielder snags it for the first out.  Carlos Beltran excuse-me-swings one into left to score Cora.  And then Carlos Delgado, who already has a home run, a double off the wall, and 3RBI's on the day sends one back up the middle to bring Reyes home from second for the winning run.

Glad I didn't turn off the PS3 in frustration after the fifth inning.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-26-2009 at 9:36am
2-2 now with my Yanks on All-Star after the patch.  I decided to bite the bullet and make this my 'real' season, using rosters with Arod back but Posada out, etc.

Mo blew a save for a heartbraking loss in game 3, but came back strong in game 4 to nail down the game with a 5 pitch ninth.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-01-2009 at 3:33pm
Wow, great 8-7 win in the last inning!!

Back from vacation, played a little here and there.  Our Sox 2007 team is now 11-21 and tied for 4th in the AL East -- and starting to play a bit for next year (since I'm only playing 48-game seasons).  The biggest news is that right before the trading deadline I moved the struggling Adam Eaton and a prospect for Carlos Lee.  That made Jacque Jones expendable, and I moved him to take a flier on Eric Milton.  Our hitting is really starting to come on now, but our pitching remains terribly inconsistent.  We need to use the remaining games to figure out who is likely to help next year, then make moves to bolster the staff during the off-season.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-01-2009 at 3:54pm
At this point my greatest skill is restarting my franchise.  I think I'm on number four or five now!
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-02-2009 at 11:19am
I'm 3-5 now with the Yankees, and had a really, really enjoyable game last night against the Rays.  Pettitte started the game and was struggling mightily, mightily, for the first two innings.  He was hitting batters, walking people left and right, had no control and then quickly no confidence in any of his pitches.

He fought like crazy, though only giving up 2 runs in the first inning when it seemed headed for 7, left 2 men on, and had thrown 31 pitches!

Inning two started the same way.  The guy had nothing.  Somehow he only allowed 1 more run.  59 pitches after two innings.  I have played this game many, many times and usually a guy who was pitching as bad as Andy was would have been past the point of no return. 

Somehow, though, he struggled back.  He sucked it up, and with still really no control, he pitched three scoreless following to keep the guys in the game.  His confidence had been only a sliver above empty, and when I took him out after 5 with 111 pitches it was near full.  I have never seen such a complete turnaround in this game.

Anyway, I hit back to back HRs with Cano and Swisher after Andy's last inning and took a 4-3 lead.  Then the Yanks bullpen, which is as awful in the game as in real life, managed to give me 4 more scoreless, using a different guy each inning.  Coke's inning was dreadful, too, but he managed to pull it out.

I tacked on one more, got the win, and though the score showed a typical 5-3 game, I felt like I had earned it more than almost any other I played, in that I was constantly struggling, constantly dodging bullets, constantly getting out of bad situations.  Neat too that Pettitte is known for that.  (in addition to his pharmaceutical dalliances)

I guess I appreciate it more too, because in this darn game at least one of those innings usually explodes into something ugly.
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-10-2009 at 4:30pm
OK, the 2007 Red Sox High Heat Season is now complete.  We went 19-29, and finished 5th in the East, 13GB of the Yankees, who won their first World Championship.  We probably could have finished fourth or even third, but I was playing to see which pitchers could help for next year and it definitely cost us a couple of games.

Our team hitting ranked 11th in the AL in all key categories: .269 Average, 43 HR, and 219 Runs Scored (4.6 RPG).  Remember that we were HORRIBLE for the first 15-20 games, way last in all categories; the offense really came on strong after we got Carlos Lee, and I'm cautiously optimistic for next season.

On other other hand: Our team pitching, after finishing 1st or 2nd in the AL in most key stats in 2006, was 13th in all key categories this season: 5.08 ERA, 20 Quality Starts, and a 53% save percentage.  Tim Hudson was much worse this season, Adam Eaton went from great to horrible to traded, and the bullpen was inconsistent until we rearranged roles.

The big questions for the offseason are all about pitching, and particularly the rotation.  Right now there's Mark Mulder and a lot of question marks:

- Tim Hudson had a 5.97 ERA, and his ERA has risen each of the last three years; I am probably going to try to move him. 
- Brad Penny had a 4.81 ERA, and seems like a 4th-or-5th starter at best. 
- Nick Neugebarger showed flashes, pitching well late in the year; he was 0-3 but had a 4.44 ERA and is only 26 years old (so he may still be improving).
- Stan Sheridan was my top draft pick in the 2005/2006 draft and he finally got the call mid-season.  He had his moments, but was 1-3 with a 5.73 ERA so I still don't think he's really ready.
- Marc Glenn is my other rookie pitcher.  He had a 3.86 ERA, but only pitched 14 innings and has limited endurance, he'll probably move to the bullpen.

The bullpen was better in the second half, but my big worry there is age.  My top two setup men, Eddie Guardado and Steve Karsay, are 35 and 36 and I've seen a lot of relief pitchers just lose it  in the game as they get older.  Colby Lewis was strong as a closer, and is 27 years old.  I'd consider putting him in the rotation if absolutely necessary, but he wasn't as strong this season in his spot start and middle relief as he was as the closer.

There's not a lot of pitching help down on the farm.  None of my top pitching prospects are ready.  However I do have a number of good position players in AAA who hopefully can bring me pitching via trades.  I am scouring pitching rosters for teams that are pitching-deep but hitting-poor and will see what I can make happen.

With any luck I'll get through the offseason this week.

Are any of you still playing your seasons ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>