Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Fight Night Demo is Out!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFight Night Demo is Out!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fight Night Demo is Out!!!
    Posted: 05-28-2009 at 8:27am
Downloaded it this morning and played one round before work. The first thing I noticed is the responsiveness of the fighters is much better, which is something that bothered me with Round 3. Hopefully they have more camera options than just the default. I'm anxious to play some more when I get home.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-28-2009 at 9:57am
Thanks for the heads up.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-28-2009 at 9:42pm
I had a chance to try out the demo tonight and came away very impressed. I was worried since I've always been a fan of FN's control scheme and had heard that the controls changed a little bit , but the new control scheme is even better.

First, there aren't as many haymaker punches and they are performed using easier analog-stock movements along with holding down the right bumper. Second, body shots (hooks and uppercuts) are also easier to perform because the analog-stick movements have been simplified. You just push back on the analog-stick (while holding the left trigger down) instead of back and quarter-circle up for a hook to the body.

I'm also happy to see the removal of parrying. While it's a big part of real boxing, it wasn't done correctly in the Fight Night series and is better left out. What they did add was a push button (X on the Xbox 360), which really works well against fighters constantly coming inside on you. You'll find yourself using it quite in bit in the demo if you fight against Ricky Hatton.

Finally, the fighter responsiveness is MUCH improved over Round 3. I put Round 3 in tonight to compare and saw a huge difference in the responsiveness of the fighters. So far, this probably the biggest improvement I noticed in the game.

The default camera is not bad, but I hope they have more camera options (I'm pretty sure they do). I've always been a fan of the "swing" camera because I like to see the fighter's entire body and footwork, and I like the further-away view it gives you. Overall, I must say that I'm pretty excited for the release of Round 4.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-28-2009 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I had a chance to try out the demo tonight and came away very impressed. I was worried since I've always been a fan of FN's control scheme and had heard that the controls changed a little bit , but the new control scheme is even better.

First, there aren't as many haymaker punches and they are performed using easier analog-stock movements along with holding down the right bumper. Second, body shots (hooks and uppercuts) are also easier to perform because the analog-stick movements have been simplified. You just push back on the analog-stick (while holding the left trigger down) instead of back and quarter-circle up for a hook to the body.

I'm also happy to see the removal of parrying. While it's a big part of real boxing, it wasn't done correctly in the Fight Night series and is better left out. What they did add was a push button (X on the Xbox 360), which really works well against fighters constantly coming inside on you. You'll find yourself using it quite in bit in the demo if you fight against Ricky Hatton.

Finally, the fighter responsiveness is MUCH improved over Round 3. I put Round 3 in tonight to compare and saw a huge difference in the responsiveness of the fighters. So far, this probably the biggest improvement I noticed in the game.

The default camera is not bad, but I hope they have more camera options (I'm pretty sure they do). I've always been a fan of the "swing" camera because I like to see the fighter's entire body and footwork, and I like the further-away view it gives you. Overall, I must say that I'm pretty excited for the release of Round 4.

From EA:

Demo issues addressed in the final product

Update: 05-15-2009

Couple of quick things that I can speak about right away. First, for those interested timelines, the demo was locked down about 7 weeks ago in early, early April. As you might imagine, the final weeks of development is when a lot of the fine tuning and polishing gets completed. For example, off the top off my head:

1. Stamina. Stamina loss is a little higher and stamina regeneration is a little slower.

2. Punch connections. Landed punch collisions are cleaner and hit reactions have more intensity.

3. Cuts and Swelling. The onset is very fast in the demo. In the final version, depending on your susceptibility to damage you find that you might have several fights without incurring any significant damage - but then when it does happen, it really affects the way your fight plays out between rounds.

4. Punch Animations. Tweaks on many punches occurred after the demo was out the door to address performance/technique issues.

5. Gameplay Audio. The mix in the demo is not great and we know that. Lots of audio work was done in the final 6-7 weeks and it sounds much better.

6. Counter Punch Window. The counter window is roughly the same length, maybe a little shorter in the final version. But we tuned how often you can open it up. They don't happen as often overall.

7. AI Difficulty & Exploits. The final weeks were spent heavily invested in finding AI exploits like the hook spamming, body punch spamming, haymaker spamming, etc. It's tightened up quite a bit. Difficulty on the demo is pretty low, but we did that on purpose so people wouldn't get annihilated their first few fights.

8. Foot Speed & Locomotion. Little bit faster overall, but also behaves much better changing directions and maintaining distance to opponent when moving laterally.

9. HUD & Settings. There is an option to turn off HUD in final game. Options to change camera too. Gameplay sliders to adjust power, damage, speed and CPU behaviors.

10. Miscellaneous Hatton has his new tattoos. Shane Mosley's name is spelled correctly. As mentioned previously, several of the boxers overall ratings have been updated/balanced.

Hope that helps. More info to come when its available.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2009 at 11:38am
I have to say that I'm sitting at work and can't wait to go home and play the demo some more. June 30th can't get here fast enough.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2009 at 11:49am
I played one fight and it looks really improved.  If UFC wasn't here I'd definitely be as excited as you are.  I'll probably pick it up at or soon after release.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2009 at 11:56am
Originally posted by TedSGN

I played one fight and it looks really improved.  If UFC wasn't here I'd definitely be as excited as you are.  I'll probably pick it up at or soon after release.

That's funny - I feel the exact same way about UFC. If Fight Night wasn't right around the corner, I'd jump on buying UFC right now.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2009 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

From EA:

Demo issues addressed in the final product

7. AI Difficulty & Exploits. Difficulty on the demo is pretty low, but we did that on purpose so people wouldn't get annihilated their first few fights.

Uh-oh.

Not that I'm getting annihilated - I've won both my fights so far on points - but I take an awful lot of hits.  Having never played a Fight Night properly before, I find I'm concentrating so hard on throwing the punches I mean to throw that defensive tactics go out of the window and I just walk into everything.  Hopefully that'll improve with time, and I do hope so because I'm enjoying the demo very much so far.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-29-2009 at 10:25pm
I must really suck at video games now because Fight Night's controls are almost second nature to me and I still have problems winning fights in the demo Embarrassed.

Adam, there are almost going to be plenty of sliders to adjust the game to your liking and skill level too.
 Post Reply Post Reply