Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: My Xbox Just Died!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Xbox Just Died!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Xbox Just Died!!!
    Posted: 08-15-2009 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by koebner

The 512MB is so the non-HDD units can run the NXE dash.

That raises a question from me. I'm going out tonight and will pick up a new Xbox if they have the latest revision, so what happens if NXE Dash is installed on the 512 of onboard memory and I attach my old hard drive which also has it. I'm thinking I should be able to delete from my hard drive and free up space. I also like the idea of being able to use the Xbox without the drive attached.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-15-2009 at 6:54pm
I just got back with my new Xbox Arcade unit (Jasper XGX-00055 Mfg. Date 07/01/2009). Now I just need to get the kids to bed.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-15-2009 at 9:10pm
Congrats! I knew you did not have the willpower to wait. LOL 

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-16-2009 at 7:56am
The new DVD drive much quieter than the old one and seems to load games quicker...maybe I won't need a bigger hard drive for loading games after all. Some other unexpected benefits are a much smaller power brick and less-mushy d-pad on the new controller.

I connected my hard drive this morning and it seems like the NXE Dashboard loads from the onboard memory (which is what I prefer), but I'm not sure if a copy of the NXE Dashboard is still on my HD wasting space.

Now I just need my copy of Madden to arrive from Amazon (fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow).
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-17-2009 at 7:35pm
Interesting survey by Gameinformer

http://consumerist.com/5338852/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds

Xbox 360 Failure Rate is 54.2 Percent, Game Informer Finds

The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3, a print edition-only Game Informer survey found.

The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3 and the Wii's 6.8 percent.

The magazine surveyed nearly 5,000 readers to get the data. And while the 360's rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it's still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken. Also, Microsoft's numbers are inflated because 360s are used the most of the three consoles. Results said 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, compared to 37 percent of PS3 owners. Meanwhile, the plurality of Wii owners (41.4 percent) play their consoles less than an hour a day.

Microsoft also seized the gold medal for unhelpful customer service, taking nearly a month to repair or replace a console, while Nintendo and Sony stuck closer to a week. Only 37.7 percent of Microsoft customers found the company's customer service was "very helpful," compared to 51.1 percent fo Sony and 56.1 percent for Nintendo.

The most shocking number from the survey — and frightening from a consumer perspective — is only 3.8 percent of Xbox 360 owners said they'd never buy another Xbox because of hardware failure.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-24-2009 at 5:53pm
My repaired Xbox arrived back at my house today, so the entire process took just about 1.5 weeks. I did receive my console back and not a refurbished unit, which I'm very happy about. I just tested it out and it seems to be much quieter now too. I wonder what they replaced inside the console and if it has "Falcon components" now.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-24-2009 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

My repaired Xbox arrived back at my house today, so the entire process took just about 1.5 weeks. I did receive my console back and not a refurbished unit, which I'm very happy about. I just tested it out and it seems to be much quieter now too. I wonder what they replaced inside the console and if it has "Falcon components" now.

It's still a Zephyr. I guess they use a new/quieter cooling system now.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2009 at 3:25pm
I had a freeze during Zombie Apocalypse on Saturday night.  Today when I got home at lunch my son informed me that the machine RRoD'd with a General Hardware Failure code.  I tried to get it to work for a few minutes, but nothing.  Went to investigate the issue on the internet and just now powered it up again and it is working again, but I have to think it is only short matter of time.

How do I go about sending it in for warranty repair?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2009 at 3:42pm
Sorry to hear, Ted.

They actually walk you through it pretty well online:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair

I set everything up that way and they actually updated me frequently by phone in addition to by web.

Good luck!

EDIT: E74?  That's what mine was.  You get the three years on that too.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-05-2009 at 4:10pm
Not E74, it didn't display a code.  Quadrants 2, 3, and 4 were lit.  Quadrant one unlit.  The diagram said General Hardware Failure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>