Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Indianapolis 500 Evolution
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIndianapolis 500 Evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indianapolis 500 Evolution
    Posted: 11-06-2009 at 4:18pm
Anyone intrigued like me?

Adam, have you played this?
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-06-2009 at 6:51pm
Indy 500 Evolution is not yet available in PAL territories.  To give you some kind of idea of how badly I want that to change, I recently emailed the developer to see if the NTSC release was region-free or whether it might come out here - apparently it will be released in the UK sometime just after Christmas.  You should probably know, if you don't already, that the developer in question is Brain In A Jar, the company responsible for IndyCar Series on the XBox.

The impression I've been given from people whose feedback I trust is that while very clearly a budget title, it still comes across as a labour of love, and racing against the AI is apparently a joy.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-06-2009 at 7:09pm
I have the (very similar, I believe) game on the Wii, and it's a lot of fun.  The driving and handling aren't where this one is at, but the racing itself is mucho fun.

EDIT:  Well, after reading some, they may not be THAT similar.  360 has a lot more tracks and cars, apparently, for one thing.

Someone on DSP posted that they are having more fun with this than they are with Forza, and knowing my racing preferences, I may feel that way as well.

The game seems to be a little hard to find in my area.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-06-2009 at 7:31pm
Different dev teams, Web.  The Wii game (which also isn't available here - I believe I'm one of 7 men in the UK with a console and an interest in the subject matter) was developed by Torus Games, and that's about the limit of my knowledge on that one.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-06-2009 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by GB_Simo

Indy 500 Evolution is not yet available in PAL territories.  To give you some kind of idea of how badly I want that to change, I recently emailed the developer to see if the NTSC release was region-free or whether it might come out here - apparently it will be released in the UK sometime just after Christmas.  You should probably know, if you don't already, that the developer in question is Brain In A Jar, the company responsible for IndyCar Series on the XBox.

The impression I've been given from people whose feedback I trust is that while very clearly a budget title, it still comes across as a labour of love, and racing against the AI is apparently a joy.

Oh my.  You know we shared a deep love of IndyCar Series.  Oh my, indeed.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2009 at 2:51pm
I'm unfortunately working most of today, but I picked this up on my way in.  Hopefully I'll be able to play some tonight or tomorrow and post impressions.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-08-2009 at 7:04pm
A couple of people have finally got round to putting some videos on YouTube, and...well, neither of them can drive a nail into a piece of wood, so I look forward to some impressions, Web.

As a racing nut, the wayback machine effect of this thing makes it a guaranteed purchase.  Even watching the YouTube crowd not being able to navigate turn one at Indy without wrecking, I could see the names of the cars around and think, "There's no way they've put all the old drivers in this ga-Bill Cheesbourg's on pole!  That said Ebb Rose!"  The game underneath could suck and I'd probably find something to love anyway...

One thing I do want to know when you get playing, Web: from the videos I've seen it looks like the cars have more push built into them than I was expecting.  Do they feel that way to you or can you get the tail out in the corners?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2009 at 8:56pm
My copy is otw from gamefly.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2009 at 10:38am
I have played less than an hour total with this so far, hence the lack of any impressions from me.  I do think I'll dig the game a lot, though, even though most of my quick sessions ended with me watching my tyres bounce away from me down the track! Embarrassed

Adam, the cars seem to behave differently depending on the model.  I tried a few cars from different years, and while the first two had a lot of push, I had a nice fish impression going on with the third.  Overall you are probably correct, though.

Unless I missed it, there are no car stats; when you select you choose driver and car model, but if you're not familiar with either, you kinda have to guess and see what you get when you are out on the track.

I love this type of racing game, though, where one bad move can end your race and you really need to avoid other cars.  Contrast that to Forza (which I picked up yesterday as well---it was either that or CoD:MW2) where the cars are more 'useful tools for cornering' than something to avoid.  (Forza does feel great in the wheels on the road category, though....better than the demo)
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-15-2009 at 2:32pm

Thanks Web.  That bit about the car stats seems a bit of an oddity.  With the number of potential chassis/engine combinations in those days, I'd have thought stats were a necessity.

Ted, I see the game in your gamercard list there.  How are you finding it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>