Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Indianapolis 500 Evolution
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIndianapolis 500 Evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indianapolis 500 Evolution
    Posted: 11-18-2009 at 12:30am
Sorry, D.  Wife wanted the TV back.

I did race two randoms though after I created a room.  The options are very limited as far as matchmaking.  Basically you pick the year, the track, the laps, and the AI difficulty.  Then the room starts and whoever gets in gets in.  When you start the race there is no qualifying.  And off you go.  Full field AI fill out the field. 

Good news was no lag that I saw.  The randoms hit the wall in turn one as expected and I drove on.  They stuck around for about 5 laps and quit out and then so did I.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-18-2009 at 12:36am
Originally posted by TedSGN

... the room starts and whoever gets in gets in.  When you start the race there is no qualifying.  And off you go. 

That really kinda sucks.  :(  Shocked that they won't let you play with friends.  It's odd that they even label their one option as 'ranked match' when there is no 'unranked match' to go with it.  It's like they ran out of time or money or both. :(
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2009 at 1:06pm
Has there been a racing game in the past where the tracks change as the years progress?  If not, then Indy can be called unique in that respect.  
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2009 at 1:09pm
When I couldn't connect with Ted, I ended up running a short race against the CPU and I agree that 'normal' difficulty is a cakewalk.  As long as you don't wreck, you should win easily.

Need to try some more on the hardest difficulty.  I do enjoy the game.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2009 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

Has there been a racing game in the past where the tracks change as the years progress?  If not, then Indy can be called unique in that respect.

Layout or running order?

If it's layout, F1 Challenge 99-02 may have done, though it's been so long since I laid eyes on it that I can't recall.  Certainly it should have done, because at least one track changed substantially in those years.  Destruction Derby did it too, but that probably doesn't count.

I know that Indy changes, the front straight being paved after 196something (61?).  Does Langhorne change layout like it should do, mate?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-19-2009 at 5:57pm
The Indy brick straight changes sometime after 1961 in the game.  I'm going to check the other tracks.

I looked at the trophy case and the races change each year.  Some get added.  Some get dropped.  Some get longer.  You race 6 times in 1961-64, but more after that and I think 8 or 9 times at the peak.  Interestingly, you only race 4 or 5 times in 1971.   I need to check and see if the tracks change too.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-18-2010 at 8:15pm
Either of you still playing this?  I think it might be released today here - the store my pre-order is with say they have none in, as do various other places including Amazon, but there are online outlets claiming to have stock, and a local gaming chain's website says they have some in too.  Then again, Shop To think it's been put back a week...

Did the online improve at all?  I'd naturally be interested in running some laps with you but your impressions of the online portion seem, to say the least of it, underwhelming.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-18-2010 at 11:46pm
Adam, after never seeing anyone online except Derek.  And then not being able to connect with him.....  well I kept it around for a couple of weeks and sent it back to gamefly.  Sorry

iRacing makes it hard to play any driving game on the 360 for me now.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-16-2010 at 6:15pm
I know Ted's been online at the same time as me today, and he might have noticed me playing this.  I feel I should take this opportunity to warn you all that when drunk, it's an idea not to switch your PC on.  My NTSC 360 arrived today, thanks to the lovely people at amazon.com and DHL international shipping...

First impressions are that as a trip into the wayback machine, it's wonderful.  Running the Johnny Lightning car or Jim Clark's Lotus around Indy is just lovely, the car models and liveries are good enough that I can identify cars before the driver's name is clear on-screen and the general atmosphere, the feel of being back there, is captured well.  It's a desperate pity that the Yearbook missions are so insultingly easy, though.  There's a mission involving defending a lead at Langhorne, and you start off with a 5 second lead that only increases as you go around, with no other cars in sight.  At the end, you're praised for a great display of defensive driving...

I started my career on Pro and it looks like that might keep me alert, though.  In the early laps at Trenton I found myself falling from 1st to 7th, and while I was able to work my way back through, it took me a few laps to find an answer for the pace of the leaders.  They passed me cleanly and gave me room to make my moves if I flagged them up early enough.

I didn't get the same trouble as you with the tyres, Ted - mine would probably have gone the full 100 laps, but in traffic on lap 65 I contrived to collide with both the Rathmann brothers at once and fitted new tyres while I was having the damage repaired.  Around lap 55-ish my lead began to disappear, and there wasn't the same kind of grip as at the start - my laps had gone from 133 mph to 128 or thereabouts - but just before I messed up, it seemed like the gap was stabilising again.

I look forward now to seeing if I can tell which of the AI drivers aren't fond of me.  I'd also tipped Dick Rathmann into a spin in the early running, and he now dislikes me.  Several others already like me after a single race, so it'll be interesting to see how much their conduct around me changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123