Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Dragon Age
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDragon Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dragon Age
    Posted: 11-11-2009 at 10:41pm
Me likey.  I'm playing on the 360.  It looks sort of rickety, especially compared to Mass Effect, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.  I went against my usual tendencies and made a rogue female dwarf, and really liked the origin story.  This also makes me want to go back and finish Mass Effect.  I might pick that up again for 20 bucks via Games on Demand.  I liked Mass Effect but kept compulsively exhausting all dialogue trees and it wore on me.  With Dragon Age I'm better at letting things go and just exploring what I (and my character) am interested in... maybe I can take that discipline (or lack thereof, really) back to Mass Effect and stop being so anal.

Ted, I know you're playing this on PC.  How's it going?  How far are you?  I'm not as far in as I'd like... been busy.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2009 at 11:26pm
It's going well.  There are some annoying bugs here and there and the occasional CTD, but overall it has been an excellent experience.

I don't know the dwarf story.  I'm playing the human noble story and I finished Ostagar and am now on the run as a member of the illegal grey wardens and trying to unite the land against the darkspawn.

I've just finished redcliffe  and am heading out.

According to my statistics I've explored 18% of the world and have 12.5 hours in the game.  My warrior is lvl 9.

I'm not an rpg guy really.  I couldn't get into mass effect on 360, but I picked it up for 10 on steam and am enjoying it there.

I'm really enjoying this game though.  I like the writing and the story.  I like the deep history, the betrayal, the main quest, and the interaction with my party.

The combat is great.  I love the tactical approach which I think is even deeper than ME.  I like that I can set each of my party members AI with tactical flow charts that enable them to fight how I want them to given the situation.  I like that as they get more experience I get more tactical slots for them to add variables.  The combat is very tough on normal.  On about 1/3 of the fights it seems like we get wiped out.  At least one member falls 1/2 the time and needs a field kit to repair a major injury.  And those injuries are really thought out too.  Stuff like damaged hearing reducing your defense.  A cracked skull reducing your will power.  Damaged eyes, crushed arms, gaping wounds, and my personal favorite coughing up blood which reduces constitution.

I'm not doing every side quest, but am doing ones that I feel make sense for my character.  I'm actually trying to role play and I can see myself going back and playing the other classes to see how the story is written for them.  I'm also not exploring every dialogue option especially if I feel it is a question that wouldn't sound "right" or think it is "gamey" for the conversation.  I'm trying to be pretty neutral and non-judgemental in my conversations....more socratic if possible.

I don't think this game is perfect, but it is very solid.  It's fun.  It's beautiful.  It's challenging.  It's a good story.  I really loved the first Baldur's Gate on PC and this is that all over again for me.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-12-2009 at 9:17pm
Hey Ted,

What are your computer's specs?  If I get this, I'm leaning towards the PC version, assuming my rig has the horsepower...

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-12-2009 at 9:34pm
My desktop PC

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  512MB
Windows XP
I'm not overclocking anything.

I'm on max setting and have no noticeable slowdown except during some cinematics that pan out to show a large city or something.  I have no slowdown in combat.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-13-2009 at 9:29pm
Thanks Ted.  I've got an AMD Phenom Quad Core and 6 GB RAM, but what concerns me is my video card.  It's a GeForce 9100 - I'm pretty sure that's onboard.  I'll have to look it up to see the specs.

Kevin
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-13-2009 at 9:54pm
It is onboard, and it has 256 MB of RAM.  I don't know if it's worth upgrading just for one game.  This is why I don't game on my PC much!  :-)

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2009 at 9:31pm
Those who had sought to claim
Heaven by violence destroyed it.  What was
Golden and pure turned black.
Those who had once been mage-lords,
The brightest of their age,
Were no longer men, but monsters.
bigjake62505 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigjake62505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-09-2009 at 2:15pm

I like this game I am on my second play through, my first was a human rogue, now I am a warrior dwarf. First time I was in a hurrry to play out the story now I am trying for 100% completion. I think I am going to put it down untill some new dl content. The game is solid for the PS3 I have heard it is better for the PC.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-14-2009 at 10:48pm
Got a new video card and Dragon Age with some Christmas money!  The card isn't spectacular, but it's a solid upgrade.  I got a GeForce 9400 with 1 GB video RAM.  I installed Dragon Age tonight and maxed out the settings.  I haven't tried it out yet, because I want to play this game in "chunks" instead of an hour here or there.  This is the first A-list current video game I've bought in a long time.  I hope I don't have the trouble I had years ago, which basically caused me to switch to console gaming.  From all the reports, though, it sounds like I won't.

I'm looking forward to getting into this one!

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-14-2009 at 10:52pm
Kevin, if you do run into any problems I might be able to help you out as I've spent quite a bit of time tinkering with PC games to get them running when they are stubborn. 

Also, Jason is an excellent source of technical help and I'll bet he would help you if asked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>