Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Backbreaker Fact Sheet and Screens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBackbreaker Fact Sheet and Screens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backbreaker Fact Sheet and Screens
    Posted: 05-27-2010 at 3:15pm
Did anybody check this out yet ?  I don't have the new consoles, and interested in impressions. 
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-27-2010 at 4:56pm
This is one game you really have to play since they are doing so much to keep you close to the action. That is where the problem begins. I like a close camera but on defense it really hinders the game. You play defense from behind the defender perspective, which I actually like.  The problem is that with the camera always close in on the player if you dare switch to another player during the action you will get completely lost.

The running game is the best part of the game for me. It just feels right, similar to how I felt about the ESPN NFL 2k5. The close camera is the least distracting here.  Passing is kind of a pain using the default setup but (switching receivers with the R-Analog) and also passing with it (lobs are tough to pull off). Switching to the alt config that uses traditional buttons worked better.

If this game gets a few years behind it it could be something special.  The graphics are extremely well done. The playbooks on the other hand need a huge upgrade if the demo is an example of what is offered in the game and they definitely need a few more camera options.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Mike_S View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-28-2010 at 3:18pm
Thanks!! 

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-28-2010 at 3:58pm
I finally played the demo and was intrigued.  Apparently the passing camera is a bit further back in the retail version.

I love that the level of team/uniform customization that is seems to have, and I can see how this would be fun online.

If I find it on the way home from work tonight it will be hard to resist.  Even though I bet it's $20 within two or three months.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-30-2010 at 10:07pm
Take with a grain of salt - impressions from pasta padre (Of the full game).

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/28/early-backbreaker-impressions#more-22595

Some of the oddities and reasons I am holding off till after EA's football games.

Playbooks are the same as in the demo and each team has the same playbook.

There is no way to view stats during the game. Only at halftime and after the game is over.

The CPU loves to run draw plays. I’d say a good third of the plays they run are draws.

It is a very satisfying feeling making plays on offense in Backbreaker on both the ground and through the air. Not as satisfying on defense cause of the detached feel. CPU teammates make most of the plays including the majority of INTs.

CPU time management is brutal. The funniest instance of poor time management was when I was driving for a score late in the half (under a minute and in field goal range). The CPU had one timeout left and used it after I got a first down. They run a lot in passing situations then use timeouts when they have the ball late in a half.

and the list goes on...

koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-30-2010 at 11:05pm
The demo did nothing for me;it felt like an XBL Arcade title.
The playbooks and AI are crude,the music is annoying.
Evidently,the full game is no better.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-03-2010 at 5:21pm

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2010 at 4:33pm
More reviews popping in - might just skip this one all together.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/backbreaker/review.html

VideoGamer ** 6 / 10 Jun 3, 2010
GameShark ** C- Jun 4, 2010
Game Revolution ** D+ Jun 1, 2010
Cheat Code Central ** 2.8 / 5 Jun 1, 2010
Game Informer ** 5 / 10 Jun 1, 2010
GamePro ** 3 / 5 Jun 3, 2010

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2010 at 4:37pm

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-04-2010 at 3:06pm
Well I bought it, lacking willpower and all.  I went to install it to the hard drive and it was finished in no time, so I go check to see how big it was.  How in the heck do you make a full retail game in this day and age and only make it one freaking gigabyte? Mad Magazine would give this game the "no frills" award for lack of substance.

You can see the British/Soccer influence in the game (some or all of the devs are from England I think).  The form arrows are taken from PES and the Road to Backbreaker is similar to the English Premier League.

As for the gameplay, I will leave it at this. In my first game my team had back to back roughing the punter calls. The third kick we blocked. I had this problem in the demo also. The CPU lined up to kick a Field Goal with 20 seconds left in the first half, they let the clock run out before getting the kick off.  There is a patch upcoming that is supposed to correct a lot of things. It better be one heck of a patch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>