Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2k10 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2k10 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2k10 Impressions
    Posted: 03-03-2010 at 9:29pm
Played half an exhibition game and half of a dynasty game on pro with no slider changes.

Looks different from 2k9.  Not better or worse to me, just the player models are a little different.  They changed the menu system.  The old one took me awhile to adjust to so now I have to learn another obtuse system.

The cameras I liked to use are still in the game so I was really happy with that because I believe the camera settings I used were an integral part of why I enjoyed 2k9 so much.

The play is a bit more hurried than 2k9 which I dislike, but I know the majority of gamers will be happy about.  Instead of having the entire throw back to the pitcher animated from throw to getting set on the mound again the ball just gets thrown back and there is a little flash and the pitcher is set.  On hurry up baseball it is even faster with the pitcher getting set right after the pitch and there are no batter walk ups or stats overlays. 

The pitching is probably better than last year due to the emphasis of the gesture, but I don't think it is nearly as fluid as last year.  Last year you did everything from the right stick.  This year they add a button press which makes it feel more like playing a game and less like you are in the game.  Also, I was disappointed to see that you can no longer aim the pitch and then press right trigger to lock in your aim point before starting your motion.  Now you have to aim the whole time.  This causes some problems when throwing to a base to hold a runner.

The crowd going for foul balls has been removed.....boo.

They added John Kruk to the color staff.  He's all right to me, but not adding anything that Steve Phillips doesn't already bring.  I know the whole real life Steve Phillips debacle, but I actually enjoyed listening to him and Gary converse in 2k9.  So now there is three.

Dynasty has added spring training games so now you can play all of those too.  Also the roster expands to 40 man for the spring which is a great addition.

Team ratings go from 97 for NYY and 96 for BOS down to 69 for poor PIT.  Most teams are 79 to 84 it seems.  Seattle is an 80.

Batting is way different this year.  More than pitching.  Not only do you get to swing three different ways (full swing, contact, and defensive), but it seems they have shrunk the strike zone a bit and (I haven't quite figured out what triggers this) you also get (at times) the kind of pitch that is coming, the general area of the pitch (inside, outside), whether it is going to be a definite strike or ball, and sometimes nothing so you don't know what is coming.  I can't tell if it is triggered by skill, pitch count, something else, or a combination of all three.  It's definitely interesting and it can be turned off simply by turning off the visible strike zone while batting.  You can also turn off the strike zone while pitching too which I do because it helps me avoid fudging my aim to try and throw a strike.  I just pitch where the catcher tells me and live with the results.

You can have swing and pitch analysis on every pitch if you so desire.

If you completely flub a pitch you throw a wild pitch, not a meatball.....good.  On pro it is a good enough challenge to throw with high power all the time.  Most of my pitches are 75 percent power.

I played 2k9 with a very specific slider set that I loved so it is always hard for me to change games and takes awhile for me to get used to the new game.  I was happy to see that the default pro sliders was resulting in good pitch counts and strikes to balls ratios.  In my first game I had a 1:1 strike/ball ratio with Cliff Lee and the computer had a 1:2 with their starter (forgot who).  Then in dynasty Oakland's starter had a 2:1 and I had a 1:2 with Felix Hernandez.  In four inning I struck out three with Felix with now walks despite the 1:2 ratio.  I drew two walks on my side of the plate.

Fielding doesn't seem quite as fun as in 2k9.  It doesn't feel as fluid.  Throwing seems the same.

Frame rate is good so far.  I didn't have any framerate issues in 2k9 except at a few parks and usually only when men were on base while I was batting.

So far pretty decent.  I have a hard time switching baseball games, but I think this may grow on me.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 9:44am
I went onto Xbox Live from my work PC yesterday and was so jealous when I saw you online with MLB 2K10.

Do the camera changes save or do you have to reset them before every game?

I'm pretty sure I saw the crowd go for foul balls in the demo. It would be disappointing if it's not in the retail version.

Thanks for the impressions so far.

Edit: I typed a much longer reply, but it got lost when I went to post it Angry.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 11:13am
I'll check on those camera settings.

Speaking of camera...it appears that there is only one fielding camera and I think it is zoomed in too close for outfield play.  So if the fielding camera options have been removed then shame on them. 

Also, fielding is way faster than in 2k9.  I don't like it as much....so far.

I may do the crazy thing of playing the rest of my 2k9 season and then adjusting all the rosters in 2k10 to match where I left off in 2k9.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 11:16am
Oh, you can play franchise games online against friends.  That might be ultra cool if they have figured out there lag problems after all these years.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by TedSGN

That might be ultra cool if they have figured out there lag problems after all these years.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that: MLB 2K10 Online Play Troubles
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 11:49am

Speaking of camera...it appears that there is only one fielding camera and I think it is zoomed in too close for outfield play.  So if the fielding camera options have been removed then shame on them. 

2K9 (and 2K8) didn't have fielding-camera options either. It's funny because I hated 2k9's zoomed out outfield camera at first, but I love it now. Based on the demo, I can live with 2K10's outfield camera.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 11:59am
Can you change the CPU starting pitcher in "Play Now" mode?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

2K9 (and 2K8) didn't have fielding-camera options either. It's funny because I hated 2k9's zoomed out outfield camera at first, but I love it now. Based on the demo, I can live with 2K10's outfield camera.

I didn't realize it was a fixed camera in 2k9.  I guess I just liked it from the start.

It doesn't appear you can change cpu pitcher in play now mode.

I tried the "my player" side of the game and created a starting pitcher.  I like this mode so far.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 9:21pm
Is there still a fielding practice mode?

I played the demo some more tonight and I'm starting to really enjoy it.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2010 at 9:51pm
Have you tried the "Road to the Show" equivalent?  How's that look?

Thanks for the impressions!

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>