Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedXbox 360 gaining USB storage support in 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in 2010
    Posted: 03-18-2010 at 2:22pm
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2010 at 4:00pm
I was so excited about this until I saw that it's limited to 16GB. That's a bullsh*t move and uncalled for. I have an old external USB 40GB hard drive laying around that I was going to use, but I'd lose more than half of it's capacity due to Microsoft's artificial size limit.

What I did find interesting was the link to an Xbox 360 Slim
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2010 at 6:34pm
Yea, that part was a bit of a downer but if you have a bunch of USB drives you can store installed games on them.  Each USB will hold at least two installed games. Handy for those w/o a hard drive or with the 20GB.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-18-2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Brent

Yea, that part was a bit of a downer but if you have a bunch of USB drives you can store installed games on them.  Each USB will hold at least two installed games. Handy for those w/o a hard drive or with the 20GB.

Good point. I may pickup two 16GB flash drives once this update goes live. That should allow me to install 5-6 games at a time (including my 20GB HD), which is more than enough for me.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-24-2010 at 9:33pm
I have to admit that I'm a bit interested in the newly-released 250GB hard for $129.99. I honestly thought Microsoft would charge more for it and it includes the transfer cable.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-25-2010 at 2:36am
Yea, that was interesting on the pricing. With the rumors of a slim 360, I have no clue what route I want to take.  Fortunately I am in no rush.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-25-2010 at 6:44am
I wonder if current hard drives will work/fit with the new slim. I have my doubts, but can Microsoft really make all the current hard drives obsolete with the slim version?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-25-2010 at 2:02pm
I can't see how the HD would fit with the slim, due to the size of the HD. My hopes would be something in the 200+ GB range included with the slim.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-06-2010 at 5:28pm
The USB update went live today. Here's some more info from Xbox.com:

USB Storage Device Support for Xbox 360

The most recent update to Xbox LIVE® enables support for USB flash drives to expand the memory of your Xbox 360 console. Now you can experience all that Xbox LIVE has to offer, from HD movies to downloadable game content. Take your game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, or Arcade game downloads with you. Buy a pre-configured Xbox 360 branded SanDisk USB flash drive to ensure the most seamless experience and optimal performance.*

The pre-configured Xbox 360 8GB USB Flash Drive by SanDisk comes with a one-month LIVE Gold membership. Just plug it in to experience all that Xbox LIVE has to offer and take your game saves and Gamertag with you wherever you go. Pre-order now for May availability (availability varies by region).

Due to variability in USB flash drives, device compatibility and performance will vary. To discuss device experiences with others, go to our Xbox 360 USB Storage forum on xbox.com.

Help and Support

Setting up your USB storage device

• How do I configure my USB storage device?
    Using a compatible flash drive over 1 GB, you can reserve a maximum of 16 GB for profiles, game saves, and downloadable content. To use USB storage, you'll need to configure it first. Plug it in and go to System Settings, Memory, then select your device to start setting it up. More info …
  • Where can I buy USB storage devices that work on my Xbox 360?
    For a seamless and optimal experience, we would recommend you purchase the pre-configured Xbox 360 branded SanDisk USB Flash Drive, which will be available for sale soon.
  • What if I don’t want to erase all the data on my USB storage device, what are my options?
    Use the Customize option to choose the amount of space you would like to use on your device. Choosing this option will retain all of your existing content.

Slow performance

• I'm getting a "Performance Warning” message, what does that mean?
    If your device doesn't meet Xbox 360 performance recommendations, you may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profiles to it. Buy an Xbox 360-branded USB Flash Drive to ensure optimal performance. More info …

Device compatibility

• I'm getting a "Can't Configure" message, what does that mean?
    Your device cannot be used with the USB storage device due to data loss and performance issues. The data loss test checks for speed and integrity of the memory on your specific device. If there are any issues, it will fail the text. More info …
  • This USB storage device works just fine on my PC, but why doesn’t it work on my Xbox 360?
    If the USB storage device does not work at all, then there was a problem accessing the device (for example, it is faulty or write-protected) or it failed the Xbox 360 integrity check. If the USB storage device is configured, but a performance warning is displayed, it’s due to the Xbox 360 requiring a higher level of sustained performance than most PC uses.

Frequently asked questions

• Why does Xbox 360 only support 16GB of storage, even though I have a much larger device?
    Supporting USB storage devices up to 16GB in size is a huge increase in storage over any solid state memory storage solutions currently available for Xbox 360. Users that need more storage have options in the Xbox 360 hard drives, which are available for purchase separately.

• Why do I only see 1.5GB available on my USB storage device, but my device is 2GB in size?
    The Xbox 360 reserves 512MB of storage for system use.
  • What other storage options do I have?
    The Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive, available separately, is the best option for media enthusiasts. You'll have plenty of space for games, HD TV and movies, Games on Demand, game demos and add-ons, music, and much more. 

*Performance of non-Xbox 360 branded USB Flash Drives will vary based on quality, speed, and performance of the specific drive. Some may not provide a recommended level of performance. The system will recognize up to 16GB of available space on a connected device, even if the drive is larger in size.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-09-2010 at 1:18pm
I might have to make a trip to Walmart this weekend:

Sandisk 8GB USB Cruzer for $17.88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>