Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 11 Info Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 11 Info Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 11 Info Thread
    Posted: 09-09-2010 at 10:18am
Derek, I'm no hockey expert, but even I can see the subtle improvements in this year's game. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2010 at 5:13pm
I was pretty bored to tears with NHL 10, but 11 has enough changes in how it plays on the ice that I find myself drawn back into it game after game.

The checking game is very subtle now and more realistic than I think it has ever been done in a hockey game.  You can really just skate and nudge players off the puck.  Last year and years before you had to pretty much lay a guy out to separate him from the puck and now just disrupting him is enough to jar a puck loose and that makes for more loose puck play.

The Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT) is where I'm spending all of my time.  I'm not interested in the BAP offline anymore.  I might try BAP online again with a club here or with Jake.  I'll probably only play GM mode with Jake and our ongoing shared dynasty.  HUT, however has me hooked as I love earning pucks to buy another pack of six cards and see who I get to add to my team.  Usually I get one player per pack that can make a difference and have yet to see an NHL player.  It reminds me a LOT of the old WE master league play in that you are constantly tweaking your team and trying to grow and improve it.  The mechanics aren't the same as WE ML, but the feeling is there.  I haven't played HUT online as I've hears some stories about guys showing up with ringer team because they spent microsoft points on uber packs, but I would like to try it online eventually in a closed and controlled group.  It might only be with Jake, but if anyone here would like to give that mode a try I'm up for it.

I've also noticed that they opened the one timer back up a bit.  In 09 the d-men seemed to miss a lot and in 10 I couldn't connect on a one timer from the blue line to save my life.  The timing seems to have been eased in 11 and I like it.

Computer seems to play a better game in the neutral zone this year and clogs better.  It seems to do a great job of covering that first outlet pass on the forecheck when you are trying to break out.  It's definitely not an automatic first pass anymore and many times I find myself waiting behind the net to see which of my forwards is going to be open and again many times I am forced to break out with a d-man instead and dumping it when I'm in the neutral zone because there is just no good outlet pass to make that won't result in high probability of turnover.

I'm 4-2 in offline HUT on all star default everything.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2010 at 6:19pm
Anyone having some issues with the settings?  Could they make it more confusing.  Casual, Fav, Current, Default, Normal, hardcore.  I just want to save a custom camera and be able to use it in Play now games, HUT and tourney mode.  I swear no matter how many times I try to save the camera or sliders, outside of Be A Pro (where the settings are saved within that save file) I lose my camera.

As for HUT, I think you can only play online against a random opponent.  That is what happened the few times I played online.  The setup and execution of HUT is so much better than what they have with Maddens version. NHL has a huge advantage with the chemistry and all of the different leagues in the game.  Maddens version is limited because chemistry is heavily weighed by having players on the same team.  Also for some reason everything you do in that mode brings up a pop up that says you are connecting to EA Server.

Hoping they fix the slowdown in the next patch when you are in the corners, as it is pretty noticeable.

P.S. to the gave devs:  Europe (Final Countdown) should be banned from any future sports games.  Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2010 at 8:10pm
Brent, I've been hearing reports of people having saving issues with the game, so you're not alone.

Ted, I know you didn't like how dumping the puck was handled in NHL 10. Do you find that NHL 11 handles it better?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2010 at 8:22pm
Oh yea the auto save does not seem to work for my Be A Pro franchise also.  Have to manually save before I quit.  Glad to see I am not alone with this issue.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-09-2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Brent, I've been hearing reports of people having saving issues with the game, so you're not alone.

Ted, I know you didn't like how dumping the puck was handled in NHL 10. Do you find that NHL 11 handles it better?

Thanks for reminding me.  10 forced me out of the habit of using the option to short dump out of the zone for a clear so I haven't seen what 11 is like.  I'll do some clearing dumps on purpose tonight.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-16-2010 at 5:22pm
I like the changes made with the 3rd tuner set. Here are the details:

Sept 15 (gameplay balance) *Scheduled to deployed at 2am PST / 5 am EST on Sept 15th.

The primary goal of this update is to increase goal scoring and decrease the advantages of solo, dangler style play in favor of more passing.

The specific changes are:
-Increase shot accuracy overall.
-Increases to shot power in some situations.
-Increase friction on dive.
-Increase poke check effectiveness.
-Face-off tuning, primarily to help CPU in certain situations.
-Decrease fatigue rate during odd man situations (when clock is scaled and you are limited to two lines).
-Decrease teamplay penalty for missed pass attempts.
-Small increase to pass receptions (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Small decrease to puck control (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Narrowed the range of the agility effect.

As usual we will be monitoring the effects of the changes and will continue to make adjustments to balance gameplay. For offline players these changes are on Tuner V1.02 (except those noted as online/HUT only).
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-21-2010 at 9:13pm
New tuner tomorrow morning:

Sept 22 (gameplay balance) *Scheduled to be deployed at 2am PST / 5 am EST on Sept 22th.

-Increase maximum speed when hustling (L3).
-Easier to generate/maintain speed doing forward crossover turns.
-Decrease goalie acceleration.
-Increase chance of penalty when a stick lift breaks a stick.
-Decrease chance of stick lift causing a dropped stick.
-Increase to slap shot power
-Increase non-puck carrier acceleration and agility and decrease puck carrier acceleration and agility.
-Weaken shots in certain situations that were leading to goals with too high a frequency when cutting across the middle of the ice.
-Increase chance of losing balance when carrying the puck (online/HUT only).
-Increase chance of losing the puck when deking or turning sharply (online/HUT only).
-Increase chance of tripping on a poke check (undoing previous change that affected online/HUT).

For offline players these changes are on Tuner V1.03 (except those noted as online/HUT only).
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-21-2010 at 10:11pm
I didn't even know there was a hustle button Embarrassed
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-22-2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by TedSGN

I didn't even know there was a hustle button Embarrassed

It's the L3 button. I've tried pressing it and didn't noticed anything happening, so I stopped using it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>